Sea Dog's Harmony "As If Live" Review Pre & Post with Food, Whiskey & Key,, Oh My!

Sea Dog

IMG_4474.thumb.jpg.8fa0a1fa087df30e8fac18057cc7e22b.jpg

We just returned from a amazing week on Harmony in southern Caribbean. I wish I could of done a live review but wanted to be able to think , reflect and do it justice. I’m always in awe of @John&LaLa, @MrFunInTheSun , @A&L_Ontand @twangster for their great reviews. So this is a “as if live” meaning I will post daily of our adventures but not in real time.

Let’s do some house cleaning first.

First point of note. I will post a bunch of photos with my newly purchased iPhone11 Pro Max to give you a idea of what kind of pics it takes. Please no phone bashing, this is not the forum for that. I have been and always will be a Mac guy so don't even start. Second, because I will be posting a lot pictures and some videos please do not quote using the pictures as it adds duplicates and just makes this thread harder to read. If you have a question or comment just highlight the area of text and a quote box should appear. If you do quote the post with all the pictures you can also highlight the picture by clicking on it and press delete. This avoids countless duplicate pictures in the thread. Thank you and now onward to the show.

A little about Me and my wonderful wife. My wife Linda is an assistant prosecutor and I (Greg aka sea dog) is a journalist (Real News) as a news cameraman and editor for KMBC-TV. We are just Gold Members in C & A. Our first cruise was to Italy and Greek Islands for our honeymoon. My wife and I then had a son so cruising took a back seat till our 20th wedding anniversary where we went on Adventure out of San Juan in 2017 to the Southern Caribbean. Two or our planned ports St. Thomas and St. Maarten were cancelled due to extensive damage by hurricane Maria. This cruise was all about going to the islands we missed. Now we are hooked on cruising and plan to go at least every year.

This review will start pre cruise with preps and two nights in Port Canaveral. I will then post at least once a day on our life on board, ports of call, food, whiskey and our take on the key. I hope you will have fun and enjoy the ride and see some great photos and videos from my new iPhone 11 ProMax. ALL ABOARD!!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

A little about Me and my wonderful wife. My wife Linda is an assistant prosecutor and I (Greg aka sea dog) is a journalist (Real News) as a news cameraman and editor for KMBC-TV. 

Kind of a funny sentence given your profession.

• Haha 2

LETS GET ORGANIZED!

One of the most fantastic things about Cruise Critic is that it is the best place to research about everything cruising. Through countless hours of lurking and following I have become smarter about how I cruise, where to cruise and tips, tricks and hacks. I will post these along the way so lets get started.

The Table is Set.

IMG_4117.thumb.JPEG.f0dbc0510583307d46b7643cca6736ba.JPEG

These are some of the items that we learned about on Cruise Critic.IMG_4118.thumb.JPEG.5b434db36ee04b4d7e5e61488031fd20.JPEG

I did not know that the US Virgin Island law requires reef safe sunscreen. Apparently there are chemicals in sunscreen that damage the reef ecosystem. There are lots of them out there but I ended up with this.

https://www.amazon.com/Kokua-Sun-Care-Sunscreen-Resistance/dp/B07BHXTSK9/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=kokua+sun+care+hawaiian+spf+50+natural+zinc+sunscreen&qid=1571597293&sprefix=koku&sr=8-3

Make it Safe.

IMG_4119.thumb.JPEG.59075d205f8b3406fea1461bc07ddc1c.JPEG

The  Safego portable beach safe. Loved the sense of safety for a place to put phones and money.

https://www.amazon.com/SAFEGO-Portable-Indoor-Outdoor-Combination/dp/B017RQUIC4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=safego+portable+safe&qid=1571596844&sprefix=safe+go&sr=8-3

The ever popular towel clips (not pictured) for those at the beach or chair hogs. I have no idea why we bought so many. There was just two of us.

423423742_TowelClips.thumb.jpg.76db94b64806bf439172b8e472e69b51.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/ESFUN-Cruise-Jumbo-Plastic-Clothes-Hanging/dp/B06WVQS82M/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=towel+clips+for+beach+chairs&qid=1571597037&sprefix=towel+clip&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyV0c3NFVKRFM2NUxXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTc0Mzk3MlMxV1hZVVU3UjNGSCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTk1ODcxSlZVWDM4WU9KT1A2JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

And finally the best thing ever invented for the cruiser. Magnetic hooks. These were great for hanging up swim suits in the bathroom or many other uses.

427914280_Magnetichooks.thumb.jpg.41f5000edc743aed021b34fb3c08c9fa.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Strong-Heavy-Duty-Magnetic-Hooks/dp/B073W2CML8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=magnetic+hooks+for+cruise+cabins&qid=1571596701&sprefix=magnetic+hooks&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFWSEVBNE9ZQ0xINTkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5NTk3NjkxRTdCQVIwNDJESVMxJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyOTY4NzcyWkIzM1hNVEJZUFVBJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Time to pack!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

ALL PACKED AND NO PLACE TO GO

Nice thing about taking the day off before you leave is you can get organized, get packed and then the problem becomes "I got nowhere to go." I need tomorrow to come now.IMG_4128.thumb.JPEG.af9a2cb9c7f988742c9b0fa8abcb5ee4.JPEG

I think we overpacked. I'm always amazed by the pro cruiser that can pack 7 days in a carry on. I must learn learn this. Thank God we are on Southwest Airlines where 2 bags fly for free. It would cost me a fortune on another airline.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 4

Loving the 13mm iPhone 11 Max Pro lens and night shot has impressed when there is limited subject motion. I've used mine on Majesty for two weeks now.

I drop my photos down to 900 pixels wide or tall to make them upload over Voom so much more easily.  Looking forward to your posts.   

Edited by twangster

"FLY LIKE AN EAGLE" as the song goes.

KCI.thumb.JPEG.750d173207078e41d4796f2398efe70a.JPEG

I must say I hate airports and traveling by plane now. The picture you see will not exist in a couple of years as Kansas City is building a brand new Terminal. Instead of three conveniently horse shoe terminals, that are easy to unload and go tight to the gate, there will soon be a a monster terminal with everyone going through a main security point.

OUR RIDE

316738511_OurRide.thumb.JPEG.0387e8368912521a45f0ca9a3607c048.JPEG

I'm also spoiled by flying. For years when I was a sports videographer and doing the coaches show for the Kansas City Chiefs. I traveled on the team plane for 12 years and got bused right to the tarmac, no cramped seating. a gourmet lunch served, (those football players have a big appetite) and even free cocktails. Life on a plane is so different now.

NONSTOP SO LETS READ A BOOK FOR TWO AND HALF HOURS

579349747_ReadingMaterial.thumb.JPEG.4ba1543a38de3b6c11b6e8bf475e66d5.JPEG

As a bourbon and whiskey aficionado. Pappy Van Winkle was the king of bourbon. This is a great book about Pappy and the history of the Stitzer-Weller Distillery. Pappy's mantra was "We make fine bourbon at a profit if we can, at a loss if we must, but always fine bourbon. On my cruise I will attempt to find the coveted holy grail of bourbon. Will it be on the ship? Will it be in the duty free shop? Can I find it in a port? Stay tuned for the answer.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

Loving the 13mm iPhone 11 Max Pro lens and night shot has impressed when there is limited subject motion.

I agree. I sam till playing around with it a lot.  I love the portrait mode which you will see in a lot of future posts. Let me know what you think. Thanks for following along.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

As a bourbon and whiskey aficionado. Pappy Van Winkle was the king of bourbon. This is a great book about Pappy and the history of the Stitzer-Weller Distillery. Pappy's mantra was "We make fine bourbon at a profit if we can, at a loss if we must, but always fine bourbon. On my cruise I will attempt to find the coveted holy grail of bourbon. Will it be on the ship? Will it be in the duty free shop? Can I find it in a port? Stay tuned for the answer.

I doubt that you will find Pappy's on the ship or in the duty free shop (but hey, could be wrong).  Your "stay tuned for the answer" is intriguing.  Maybe in port?  It is heavily allocated in my home state (KY), and some shops even hold raffles to distribute their allocation.  It truly is treated as the holy grail of bourbon.  Good luck in your quest for the grail, Indiana.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NouCruzer said:

It is heavily allocated in my home state (KY), and some shops even hold raffles to distribute their allocation

I had heard that. I participate in several raffles here in Kansas City but with over 2,000 people getting tickets to win the opportunity to buy about 3 bottles total is pretty slim.

• Like 1

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED.... NOW WHERE'S MY RIDE

I  love non stops. The flight was smooth. I had a scrumptious lunch of a bag of mini pretzels and a bag of mini ritz crackers. Orlando’s Airport is always a mad house. If you need to use a restroom when you first get off don’t use the first group of restrooms you come to in the terminal. There was a long line. Keep walking toward bag claim and there are plenty more. As we waited for our bags I called the shuttle company and they told us where to meet the bus. Fortunately the bus arrived just as got to location but had to wait on several more passengers. Our shuttle was arranged through the hotel we will stay at, The Radisson at the Port. Not exactly a limo but it will do.

800306535_CocoaBeachShuttle.thumb.JPEG.2f96ffca0e3ae5917ab41daa3c3fe9fc.JPEG

Driver was very nice and courteous. John was his name. 

1079958478_JohnTheDriver.thumb.JPEG.05114cc1749255ea3c468267dea1ffbe.JPEG

• Like 3

Really looking forward to the rest of your review.  Great so far!  Appreciate the suggestions (and links) for products you found useful while cruising... might be some in my group that would be interested in the beach safe.

• Like 1

OUR PRE CRUISE HOME AWAY FROM HOME

1646939936_RadissonatthePortExteriorNight.thumb.JPEG.5b49efc398ca38a66101a1005ebcb153.JPEG

We chose to stay at Radisson at the Port due to many reviews I had read here on Cruise Critic. It's a fairly large but older complex but still in fine shape. It's a very short distance from the terminal and has as I counted 5 restaurants (not counting hotel) either right next door or across the street. The room rate was very reasonable and they offered the shuttle to pick us up at the airport to the hotel for $24 person (Yes I know I could of gone a cheaper route) and they would shuttle us to the cruise terminal for $6 per person the day of our cruise. I was good with that as I set everything up through one person at the hotel.

THE ROOM

691293500_RadissonatthePortRoom.thumb.JPEG.7890c1c3d8429ed0b0a1720a0a9e4faa.JPEG

CRUISE MUST HAVE

504845327_USBHubConnected.thumb.JPEG.4c9c95d1617859fb1d5329169da9de81.JPEG

This is a must have for anyone like us that has two apple watches, two iPads and two iPhones. This will be great in the cabin on our cruise.

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Charger-LYILIN-Charging-Station/dp/B076W2B4HD/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HDHSK2SS9M9C1Q7RRTTK

• Like 7

FOOD FOR THOUGHT IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THE REAL THING - Walt Kelly

Time for dinner and it's right next door, Kelsey's Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria.

1437691928_KelseysRestaurant.thumb.JPEG.f4b39043c7ed91596279a06a21eb732b.JPEG

A nice Sangria to start things off.

89947400_KelseysSangria.thumb.JPEG.c0b9ce714eca4d09ec1a74ff13b93e08.JPEG

Not sure why they choose a cocktail lowball glass for sangria?

Sangria.thumb.JPEG.320694bad5d6091f33302c4d07a991d2.JPEG

Ahi Tuna Tacos

449503687_AhiTunaTacosatKelseys.thumb.JPEG.be1d4cd248efa060b5aba51a8eb21429.JPEG

1581956060_CloseupAhiTunaTacosKelseys.thumb.JPEG.ed8735b1ceef8f5d7ea343a7849b0756.JPEG

And a pizza for Linda

1512040924_PizzaKelseys.thumb.JPEG.55f5733b26cfbad51f488e0f3f209fac.JPEG

• Like 6

MEANWHILE BACK AT THE HOTEL

The Radisson at the Port does have an amazing pool.

1206054163_RadissonPoolFront.thumb.JPEG.61908473205553c180c1b1588634c7e5.JPEG

Back side of pool nice for a stroll

61163504_RadissonPoolBackside.thumb.JPEG.4749a008e946fa66b8e3d62638acb69e.JPEG

There is a Tiki Bar just beside the pool where we had some nightcaps. Sorry I did not take a picture, but here is one I found online

1711102550_TikiBaratRadissonattheport.jpg.dea79347194785aea13ccba7ae592787.jpg

GOOD NIGHT, SLEEP TIGHT TOMORROW WE WILL SEE SPACE FLIGHT!

• Like 4

Thanks for the detailed review of Radisson by the port.  I'm researching for a place before our Mariner cruise as never cruised out of Port Canaveral before.  Would you recommend Radisson?  That pool looks amazing.  And great to hear that there are a few restaurants in walking distance (and Kelsey's looks yummy).

22 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Would you recommend Radisson?

Yes I would! Since we wanted to tour the Kennedy Space Center and be close to the terminal it was a good place for us. There are plenty of nice places to stay in Port Canaveral. I chose the Radisson based on the feedback I read from a lot of Cruise Critic members.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1