Fort Lauderdale to San Diego Flight The Earliest You have booked?

marluvs2go

I’ve never booked a flight before 11:30 in Ft Lauderdale.  The cruise port is very close and in a perfect world, you could make a much earlier flight but there are far too many ‘what if’s’.  

We do a Caribbean cruise out of FLL at least once a year and always fly home the day the ship returns to DFW.  I would say 75  percent of the time, we could have made a 10 am flight - but I won’t book them because of that 25 percent and the nightmare that would come with missing the flight.  
It can be done - IF the ship is on time, there aren’t too many ships coming in, there aren’t any problems with disembarking, (taxis are not a problem), lines through security at the airport aren’t too long . . . (The last time we were there, they had closed precheck line.)  I don’t recommend it. 

30 minutes ago, Gigi1977 said:

I’ve never booked a flight before 11:30 in Ft Lauderdale.  The cruise port is very close and in a perfect world, you could make a much earlier flight but there are far too many ‘what if’s’.  

We do a Caribbean cruise out of FLL at least once a year and always fly home the day the ship returns to DFW.  I would say 75  percent of the time, we could have made a 10 am flight - but I won’t book them because of that 25 percent and the nightmare that would come with missing the flight.  
It can be done - IF the ship is on time, there aren’t too many ships coming in, there aren’t any problems with disembarking, (taxis are not a problem), lines through security at the airport aren’t too long . . . (The last time we were there, they had closed precheck line.)  I don’t recommend it. 

Exactly our experience - 75% of the time we would make it. Our biggest "unknown" time element is getting off the ship and picking up luggage and going through customs. Examples, a few years ago, one piece of our luggage could not be found. That was almost a hour delay while they looked for my suitcase and then filling out paperwork. We found out later, someone took my suitcase which looked similar to mine. Another time we spent almost two hours in the customs line as they were short on agents. On both of those occasions, we made our 11:57am flight, but never would have made it by 10:00am. 

I’d never book a flight that early.

I don’t like stress and worry.  And, I hate missing flights.  I’d rather be there early and kill some time than be sweating bullets.

If all goes well as others have said, yes it can be done with self disembarkation, but, I’ve also seen disembarkation delayed, hold ups due to Customs/Immigration (whatever the right term is), etc.  And, horrific lines at FLL for security.  It depends on the day and the flights.

Each to their own, but if you do it, have a plan B if you miss the flight.  Myself, I’d be booking an 11:30 or after.  Ours normally go around 1:30 pm and that’s fine.  I know how to kill a bit of time enjoyably 😉