What do you Tip in Ft Lauderdale?

Kenato

While since we have been in Ft. Lauderdale. What is the normal range that you tip for taxis, porters at the Port Everglades that take your bags, etc. Don't want abuse for tipping too little!!

Hi Kenato!

I tip everyone so this is what I do.

Restaurants: 20%+ (my family is in the business)

Taxi: I usually round up.  If the fare is $8, I'll do $10.  It is is $12 I'll give them $15, and so on.

Housekeeping: $3-$5 per day depending.

Bartender: $1 per drink

Porters: $1-$2 per bag

Hairdresser: 20%

Nails: 20%

• Like 1

I'm with Blue - $5 to the porter usually covers our checked bags (one for me, at least 2 for my wife 😕), and 15%+ for taxi or car service - more if the service was great or they had to deal with bad weather, etc.

For Taxis 15%.  Less if not helpful.  More if went out of their way to help.

Restaurants 20%.  However if someone is not good I will tip less and might round up further if exceptional.  My son ran a restaurant for many years and many years ago in school my daughter was part of a wait staff so I am understanding of the people who work in restaurants.

At least $2.00 per bag.  If I was checking two bags I would probably give $10.00.  I pretty much give the same amount when checking bags.  If needing help with a porter after disembarking the ship I will vary the tip based on how helpful the person is.  Again could be less, same or more.

One thing though.  Never overthink this.  Have an overall idea in mind but then make a final decision based on the quality of the person providing the service.

Keith

I tip as above except for housekeeping....  I understand it while cruising as we are there for several days and service is twice a day. Am I cheap because I don’t tip the maid daily for making a bed and changing the towels at a mid range hotel for 1 or 2 nights? We’re not messy people.  Honest question.  Do most of you tip at hotels?

The DH is otherwise a generous tipper.

Edited by cruiselvr04

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I tip as above except for housekeeping....  I understand it while cruising as we are there for several days and service is twice a day. Am I cheap because I don’t tip the maid daily for making a bed and changing the towels at a mid range hotel for 1 or 2 nights? We’re not messy people.  Honest question.  Do most of you tip at hotels?

I tip at hotels daily $3-5. On cruise I leave the gratuities turned on and usually add extra cash at the end that I hand to our room attendant and waiters. A few singles to bartenders gets me great service all cruise.  Your results may vary.

$ 5 to the porter ... takes 2 bags out of back of SUV ... sets on curb or puts on cart - that's plenty

we always have left on grats ... I'll tip the bar staff in addition to the 18% surcharge at places we intend to go more than once ... pool bar(s) ... Vines ... Crooners

don't "even" want to know what my wife tips the room steward ...:classic_biggrin:

Agree with many of the above...I just returned (on Wednesday)from another stay post-cruise in Fort Lauderdale and did exactly the same. Yes, I also left $3.00 per day for the housekeeper at Hyatt Place.

On 10/25/2019 at 1:10 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

Don't stiff the maid.  

• Like 1

We frequently stay at one of the Hyatt hotels; always leaving $3. per day be it one, two or more nights. We are OCD neat people, so not much to pick up after us.  If we traveling close to one of the major holidays we may add a few $$ more along with a big thank you for taking care of us. We will be at the 17th St Hyatt on Thanksgiving and I'm sure the maids would prefer to be with family instead of cleaning rooms.

Darcy

Just now, cruiselvr04 said:

Ok....I guess we will start leaving the maid a tip.  

Where do you put it?  Or do they assume any cash left out is for them?

We leave it on the counter near the coffee maker in our room. Never at the bed side.

Darcy

7 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Ok....I guess we will start leaving the maid a tip.  

Where do you put it?  Or do they assume any cash left out is for them?

I left it on the desk by the telephone on top of a hand written note.

Housekeeping...Thank You ! 😊

17 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

Don't stiff the maid.  

I would certainly agree!  You have direct contact with wait staff, cab drivers, and porters.  Unfortunately most housekeepers in hotels are somewhat invisible.   Most of us do not see them and I somehow have the feeling that many folks overlook them.  I always leave a cash tip on my check-out day behind the bathroom faucet to insure that it is not overlooked.

Edited by tip

12 hours ago, Ashland said:

I left it on the desk by the telephone on top of a hand written note.

Housekeeping...Thank You ! 😊

Same here - leave a note so no confusion on what the money is for.  Some hotels even have envelopes in the room for this.