Pls help with recommendations for condo at Kaanapali.

Cruiznuts

Hi CC group 

We are planning to spend 6 nights in Kaanapali, prior to a 7 day island hopping cruise on NCL.  Our group will consist of my parents ( in their 80s), my twin 22 yr old sons and me.  We are hoping to find an oceanfront / ocean view condo for our stay in Maui in early January 

I have been to the island, some years ago, but stayed at the Westin - currently under renovation. 

Any thoughts on nice condo complexes would be very much appreciated!  

Cruiznuts

Budget numbers per night always help.

Without that I'll say the Hyatt Residences, the Westin Nanea Ocean Villas, Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas (neither of which is the Westin Resort & Spa) and Honua Kai.

Others to consider might be Aston Maui Ka'anapali Villas, Ka'anapali Ali'i Villas and The Whaler.

Scott's choices are all great ones.  The Hyatt, Ali'i and the Whaler will be on the busier part of Kaanapali Beach (near the Westin where you stayed), the others are north on a quieter part of the beach but still within walking or trolley distance to the busier area.  I *think* the Westin properties also have a shuttle to Lahaina which would be nice also.  Maui Kaanapali Villas is probably the most budget friendly and is the only condo I've stayed at on the list, but I loved it.  If I had the budget, I would pick the Kaanapali Ali'i, I think it is on the best part of Kaanapali Beach.  The Hyatt Residences gives you access to the pools at the Hyatt hotel.

Edited by Beachiekeen

19 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Budget numbers per night always help.

Without that I'll say the Hyatt Residences, the Westin Nanea Ocean Villas, Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas (neither of which is the Westin Resort & Spa) and Honua Kai.

Others to consider might be Aston Maui Ka'anapali Villas, Ka'anapali Ali'i Villas and The Whaler.

Thanks for your very kind reply. It has set me on a research path.  

The Hyatt residences looks great but very pricey. I was hoping to stay around 500 per nite butcan stretch that,  if need be.  

A look at at a hotel search engine called up the Diamond Resort. I’ve seen one on the east coast. Not fancy but serviceable. Thoughts? 

Also so the whaler looks well positioned 

best regards. 

4 hours ago, Beachiekeen said:

Scott's choices are all great ones.  The Hyatt, Ali'i and the Whaler will be on the busier part of Kaanapali Beach (near the Westin where you stayed), the others are north on a quieter part of the beach but still within walking or trolley distance to the busier area.  I *think* the Westin properties also have a shuttle to Lahaina which would be nice also.  Maui Kaanapali Villas is probably the most budget friendly and is the only condo I've stayed at on the list, but I loved it.  If I had the budget, I would pick the Kaanapali Ali'i, I think it is on the best part of Kaanapali Beach.  The Hyatt Residences gives you access to the pools at the Hyatt hotel.

Thanks so much!  The CC group us always very helpful. 

I will look at the K Ali’i as well

many thx! 

3 hours ago, Cruiznuts said:

I'll second The Whaler-- sentimental favorite with family of ours owning a condo there so we have stayed there the most. If you are looking for something more laid back (think a little quieter-- pools without water slides and pool bars, a blend of residents and visitors, etc) that would be the place. The beach was a bit eroded when we were there a few months ago but that ebbs and flows. 

If you want a resort with all the bells and whistles I like the Hyatt a lot-- great pools and good food-- but I'm not a huge fan of their stretch of beach. The Kaanapali Beach Hotel and Sheraton most likely have the better stretch of beach in that part but I personally wouldn't stay at the KBH (although their tiki hut bar is fantastic) and the Sheraton is fine but nothing mind blowing. The Westin gives you close access to Whalers Village and a bunch of the amenities. Theres not a bad option but they all do some things slightly better than others. 

On 10/23/2019 at 5:45 PM, princeton123211 said:

I'll second The Whaler-- sentimental favorite with family of ours owning a condo there so we have stayed there the most. If you are looking for something more laid back (think a little quieter-- pools without water slides and pool bars, a blend of residents and visitors, etc) that would be the place. The beach was a bit eroded when we were there a few months ago but that ebbs and flows. 

If you want a resort with all the bells and whistles I like the Hyatt a lot-- great pools and good food-- but I'm not a huge fan of their stretch of beach. The Kaanapali Beach Hotel and Sheraton most likely have the better stretch of beach in that part but I personally wouldn't stay at the KBH (although their tiki hut bar is fantastic) and the Sheraton is fine but nothing mind blowing. The Westin gives you close access to Whalers Village and a bunch of the amenities. Theres not a bad option but they all do some things slightly better than others. 

Thanks everyone!

all this input has been priceless! 

I have booked a 2 bed 2 bath condo oceanfront at Whalers. Although it’s double what I had hoped to pay, the location and views will make it worthwhile. We’re going all the way to Hawaii... why skimp now?  Right? 🙂 

any thoughts on renting a car car would be appreciated. I think it will make it easier to tour around. 

Also... getting groceries?  Did I read that there is a Costco on Maui?! 

Thx 

10 minutes ago, Cruiznuts said:

any thoughts on renting a car car would be appreciated. I think it will make it easier to tour around. 

If you are staying at the Whaler you can rent a car strategically--  ie only for the day(s) you need it because presumably you'll be spending at least a few of those days by the beach. There is an Avis we rent from thats a very short ride north towards Kapalua near the Kapalua airport-- maybe about a 6-7 minute ride from The Whaler. 

We tend to just rent a car for a a day or two for the ride around to Hana or a trip up to Haleakala. Other than that you can just Uber up to Kapalua or down to Lahaina quickly and inexpensively. You could also use it for a grocery run to the Costco near the airport (although there are Safeway and Foodland supermarkets not far from where you are staying vs the hour drive each way to Costco). 

We always rent a car on Maui for the full trip. Rent soon, Maui can sell out.

Costco is just outside the airport and it is by far the cheapest gas on the island. Read the link below.

Costco Made In Hawaii

Safeway is my favorite store (besides Costco), but I also go to Tamura's Fine Wine, especially for poke.

2 hours ago, Cruiznuts said:

any favorite restaurants at whalers?  Or kaaanapali generally? 

We tend to only eat at Whalers for lunch-- Hula Grill and Leilanis are corporate cousins-- menus are similar but slightly different. Vibe is very similar with live music outside. Monkeypod is newer-- same type of food though. All three of them are generally good and reliable. Island Vintage Coffee in the lower level is very good in the morning for coffee and their fast takeaway breakfasts.

All the hotels have similar riffs on the same sort of food-- tends towards casual burgers, resort food etc. The Hyatt has Japengo which is general asian fusion but specializes in sushi which is a bit different but books up quick. 

One of the nights there we take an Uber up to Kapalua and go eat at either the Ritz or Montage for a change of scenery. 

The really good food is down in Lahaina, specifically Lahaina Grill which I recommend you make a reservation before. Easily one of the best restaurants in Hawaii. 

17 hours ago, Cruiznuts said:

At Ka'anapali, Roy's is my favorite restaurant followed by Hula Grill and Leilani's.

If you want great, I'd drive down to Merriman's Kapalua. I think it's Maui's best restaurant.

On 10/29/2019 at 12:10 PM, Cruiznuts said:

Thx!

Besides those already mentioned, you might like Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman. It's next to Hula Grill and across from Leilani's at Whaler's Village.  It's a more casual cousin to the original Merriman's. Their Happy Hour is a fabulous deal - you can easily make an early (3pm - 5:30pm) dinner out of the appies and drinks.  They also have one of the best Mai Tais on the islands!

Edited by ell52