My unlimited dining experience

7 hours ago, Setting Sail Gal said:

Could you explain this a bit more?  I know you said it was already on your trip report, but I could not find it.  I will be cruising solo and it sounds like a great idea for those with the UDP.  Thank you for sharing again for me.

Right around day three we did this as outlined on the report below. Basically started out with a snack late afternoon at Sabor, snack at Jamie’s, moving to Chops, 150 Central Park, Izumi and then ending the evening at Wonderland. We had a reservation for two of the restaurants and walked up to the others. One other day I had done multiple restaurants in a day too, just not all of them such as we did that one day. 

14 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

Is this what it has come down to? Chops, a steakhouse, only has one steak on the menu? A filet? Really?

It appears that UDP guests get a different menu after all.

Not true. It’s only the lunch menu that only has one steak. It’s been like that for years. Dinner menu has multiple steaks to choose from. 

Lunch menu

78B4B711-F91D-4B4D-82D1-B051341047B7_zps

Dinner menu 

936044C9-2410-45BE-B31F-2D2BE6C28E39_zps

8D06D799-DD2B-4761-B58D-0EF3EAF1C605_zps

• Like 2

We purchased the Unlimited Dining Package for the 5 night 11/19/19 Explorer.

The package includes lunch on sea days - is Day 1 (embarkation day) included?

Chops is the only restaurant listed for lunch on the cruise planner on embarkation day and sea days.

Thanks,

Lou

52 minutes ago, MrFunInTheSun said:

Not true. It’s only the lunch menu that only has one steak. It’s been like that for years. Dinner menu has multiple steaks to choose from. 

Lunch menu

78B4B711-F91D-4B4D-82D1-B051341047B7_zps

Dinner menu 

936044C9-2410-45BE-B31F-2D2BE6C28E39_zps

8D06D799-DD2B-4761-B58D-0EF3EAF1C605_zps

whew!! That's good to know, thank you.

14 hours ago, mickeygirl78 said:

went to Jamie’s for dinner. Our server immediately told us to order as much as we wanted. We decided on 5 appetizers to split between the 5 of us. We picked the meat plank, ultimate garlic bread, bruschetta, calamari and garlicky prawns. Our server decided one order was not enough so he brought out two of everything. All 5 were amazing. 

We were told to order a pasta dish and a main course. It was so much food.

I know you said it was a lot of food in total but the main portions and pasta dishes look rather small (maybe it's just the pictures) . At least, that was my experience when I did Jamie's, years ago on Anthem. It's the only time on a cruise I left dinner still hungry.

I wonder if that is why the server told you to order as much as possible and even brought double the appetizers. 

1 hour ago, loudbmw said:

We purchased the Unlimited Dining Package for the 5 night 11/19/19 Explorer.

The package includes lunch on sea days - is Day 1 (embarkation day) included?

Chops is the only restaurant listed for lunch on the cruise planner on embarkation day and sea days.

Thanks,

Lou

its hit or miss on ships. Last cruise, they were confused and did not let us in for lunch on embarkation day ( only keys) even tho we had UDP and were in a Grand suite but later they found us eating in the windjammer and said we could go in a order after we were about to finish our lunch  😄 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the food and menu pics!! Everything looks great. How was the ribeye from chops?

16 hours ago, mickeygirl78 said:

At dinner we were told only two appetizers - one from the soup/salad section and one from the other section and only one main course.

This is surprising. The Unlimited Dining is becoming less and less unlimited. Has anyone else ran into this? I have the 3 night SDP package and plan on getting multiple apps. Will I get the same push back?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mickeygirl78 said:

Service at lunch was very slow, the waiter was very overwhelmed. 

Dinner service was a lot better. The two 6oz filets at dinner were overcooked. The waiter did get new ones. At dinner we were told only two appetizers - one from the soup/salad section and one from the other section and only one main course. It was plenty of food, I couldn’t imagine needing more. 

Thanks so much for such a detailed review with pictures!!  We loved Chops Grille from a previous cruise but I recall the service was painstakingly slow, and our server was unfortunately very rude.  It ruined the experience for us, but the food was good.  We have our hearts set on trying it again, but the reviews on service and food seem up/down!

Why were you only able to get two appetizers at dinner time?  Did it take a long time for the new steaks to be cooked?  I would imagine all your sides were cold by then.

16 hours ago, Mendels1029 said:

We went to chops for dinner one of the nights and had a horrible experience.  Service was excruciatingly slow and when the steaks finally arrived they were well done.  We are talking little to no pink and cold.  Sent them back and they came back warmer but now completely overcooked. Manager came over and offered lunch the next day which was nice but we had the unlimited plan so it really wasn't much help. When we went back for lunch on the last sea day the food was better but service was still bad. 

Ugh, so sorry to hear of your bad experience at Chops.  I wonder why it's so up/down?  Different servers, understaffed?   

16 hours ago, Mendels1029 said:

Yes always good to try the MDR from time to time.  My 9 oz. Filet was ordered med rare and was medium well to well done. My wife's ribeye was well done and should have been medium.  My FIL had a ribeye that was medium well to well done and my MIL had the 6 oz filet that was actually under done but ice cold. Our server was not very personable and just plain slow.  

Wow, it just got worse for you.  I'm seriously re-thinking Chops.  Your server sounds like the one we had back in the day.  The funny thing is the server at the very next table was so friendly and outgoing, I looked at my hubby and said, "I want him!"  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I know you said it was a lot of food in total but the main portions and pasta dishes look rather small (maybe it's just the pictures) . At least, that was my experience when I did Jamie's, years ago on Anthem. It's the only time on a cruise I left dinner still hungry.

I wonder if that is why the server told you to order as much as possible and even brought double the appetizers. 

I thought the portion size was good. I could only eat a few bites of the lasagna, I was so full. The second visit we got only one set of apps and only one meal (not a pasta and meal) and all left full.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

Thanks so much for such a detailed review with pictures!!  We loved Chops Grille from a previous cruise but I recall the service was painstakingly slow, and our server was unfortunately very rude.  It ruined the experience for us, but the food was good.  We have our hearts set on trying it again, but the reviews on service and food seem up/down!

Why were you only able to get two appetizers at dinner time?  Did it take a long time for the new steaks to be cooked?  I would imagine all your sides were cold by then.

We didn’t ask about the appetizer limit. It was per person and none of us had more then two picked out. I got lobster bisque and the crab cake and that was plenty. It did not take long at all for the new steaks, they expedited them. 

2 hours ago, tomservo said:

Thanks so much for the food and menu pics!! Everything looks great. How was the ribeye from chops?

This is surprising. The Unlimited Dining is becoming less and less unlimited. Has anyone else ran into this? I have the 3 night SDP package and plan on getting multiple apps. Will I get the same push back?

I didn’t have the ribeye but the two in my group who did loved it. My dad said it was extremely tender and cooked perfect (med rare). 

I do feel each server makes up their own rules with the plan. Nothing is consistent so experiences vary...

1 hour ago, mickeygirl78 said:

We didn’t ask about the appetizer limit. It was per person and none of us had more then two picked out. I got lobster bisque and the crab cake and that was plenty. It did not take long at all for the new steaks, they expedited them. 

Oh, I read in your previous post this:  At dinner we were told only two appetizers - one from the soup/salad section and one from the other section and only one main course.

Perhaps I misunderstood it.

1 hour ago, mickeygirl78 said:

I didn’t have the ribeye but the two in my group who did loved it. My dad said it was extremely tender and cooked perfect (med rare). 

I do feel each server makes up their own rules with the plan. Nothing is consistent so experiences vary...

The ribeye does look good, it's my favorite cut.  Thanks!

53 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

Oh, I read in your previous post this:  At dinner we were told only two appetizers - one from the soup/salad section and one from the other section and only one main course.

Perhaps I misunderstood it.

The ribeye does look good, it's my favorite cut.  Thanks!

Yes they did tell us the limit, what I meant was I didn’t push it or question it since I only wanted two anyway. Sorry for any confusion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mickeygirl78 said:

Yes they did tell us the limit, what I meant was I didn’t push it or question it since I only wanted two anyway. Sorry for any confusion.

Oh no apologies necessary, thanks for clarifying!  Love, love, love your review!  

5 hours ago, red-dragon said:

Wow, it just got worse for you.  I'm seriously re-thinking Chops.  Your server sounds like the one we had back in the day.  The funny thing is the server at the very next table was so friendly and outgoing, I looked at my hubby and said, "I want him!"  

We scheduled Chops twice and were so disappointed in the first experience we cancelled and went Park 150 twice instead.

We had three specialty dinners.

Don't order the Grand seafood tower it was a hideous soggy mess.  They removed it from our bill, but ugh!😝

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

We scheduled Chops twice and were so disappointed in the first experience we cancelled

I don't doubt you one single bit. The next ship you're on it could be possibly the best Chops you will ever experience.

Just off Adventure last month, and it was one of the best Chops I have experienced in 3 years.

I had the UDP, and booked Giovanni's 5 of the 11 nights for their larger menu which we really like. Plus we love Giovanni's and have never had poor results... until now. Giovanni's was not good at all. After the third time we cancelled the remaining 2 bookings and had our 4 final nights in a row in Chops. We tried almost everything on the menu, including the seafood tower (small), and everything was exceptional.... not exaggerating... ate there 6 evenings and the steaks and everything else were totally perfect each night. I also discovered the Atlantic Salmon entree as a new favorite which I had never tried before.

Keep in mind my foodie gf has very high standards, and we now compare RCL offerings to what we experienced on Oceania... Chops on Adventure was outstanding.

And perhaps in a few months maybe with a new Hotel Director, new Chef, new products being purchased and sourced from different areas (depending on which suppliers give RCL the best deals), Chops on Adventure could be gross. That's the bad thing about reading these food threads, things are never exactly the same from ship to ship, even same ship month to month.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Setting Sail Gal said:

Could you explain this a bit more?  I know you said it was already on your trip report, but I could not find it.  I will be cruising solo and it sounds like a great idea for those with the UDP.  Thank you for sharing again for me.

I think he booked like at 5pm, 7pm and 9pm at  3 different places all in the same night and just picked his favorite things off each menu.

I know you said izumi was not the time you wanted. Were the other restaurants available for times you wanted? What time do you typically like dining?

Thanks for your review. We have gone back-and-forth over booking that for a couple cruises, but we really prefer to eat between 630 and 730, and we end up paying maybe 25% more to get the times we want and just book ahead.  I try to read all the reviews, but I never really get a sense of how possible it is to book prime time for most nights for the restaurants you want.

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

We scheduled Chops twice and were so disappointed in the first experience we cancelled and went Park 150 twice instead.

We had three specialty dinners.

Don't order the Grand seafood tower it was a hideous soggy mess.  They removed it from our bill, but ugh!😝

How did you like Central Park 150? We went there on our first cruise and the service and experience were fantastic.  The menu was completely different back then, and we actually left very hungry.  The portions were very tiny, like a two bite sampling menu, and it was nothing like it is now.  Glad to hear they removed the seafood tower from your bill!

9 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

How did you like Central Park 150? We went there on our first cruise and the service and experience were fantastic.  The menu was completely different back then, and we actually left very hungry.  The portions were very tiny, like a two bite sampling menu, and it was nothing like it is now.  Glad to hear they removed the seafood tower from your bill!

I think they changed the menu, we had lots of food, in fact too much!

The chateaubriand was wonderful.  

I agree with many posters here that said on any given night, ship or venue one can have a variety of results and  different opinions! 

This is week I tried two new recipes and though I followed the recipes, I did not care for them at all!  C’est la vie!

Edited by Judyrem
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Judyrem said:

I think they changed the menu, we had lots of food, in fact too much!

The chateaubriand was wonderful.  

I agree with many posters here that said on any given night, ship or venue one can have a variety of results and  different opinions! 

This is week I tried two new recipes and though I followed the recipes, I did not care for them at all!  C’est la vie!

Hi Judy - yes, you're absolutely right!  I saw pictures and the menu is definitely different (and of course it would be after so many years ...lol).  The serving sizes are more substantial!  

You mentioned you tried two recipes, did you mean at home?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

You mentioned you tried two recipes, did you mean at home?

Yes, I like to cook and try new recipes, this week's efforts were not so good!🙄

Maybe the chef at Chops was having a bad night?