April 7, 2020 SD 2 TA cancelled.

mcpepe

Just got word today the April 7, 2020 Seadream 2 transatlantic from Puerto Rico to Lisbon has been cancelled. 😥

Our options are to sail Seadream 1's TA, which doesn't work for my work schedule or a full refund of monies paid.

Mom and I are so disappointed. 😥

5 hours ago, mcpepe said:

Just got word today the April 7, 2020 Seadream 2 transatlantic from Puerto Rico to Lisbon has been cancelled. 😥

Mom and I are so disappointed. 😥

Thanks for the info.  We are booked on this one as well.  Not pleased at all!

Craig and I were booked in February on the new Ritz Carlton yacht that has been delayed. We were disappointed but offered 30 percent off a future cruise and any airline cancelation expenses . I hope Seadream offers you something for the cancellation.

Cole

We also were booked on it and are very disappointed.  We had already booked our air as part of the return from the Eastbound crossing departing this weekend, and it will cost us about $5,000 per person to make the changes per American Airlines.  

11 minutes ago, BeignetBoy said:

We also were booked on it and are very disappointed.  We had already booked our air as part of the return from the Eastbound crossing departing this weekend, and it will cost us about $5,000 per person to make the changes per American Airlines.  

Travel insurance! I had already booked our flights as well. 

We also

have travel insurance, but the flight that we booked was a business class multi-city from the US to Malaga (for the East-bound crossing) and then from Lisbon to the US (for the West-bound).  It was cheaper to do that than to book one way flights. 

Per American Airlines,  if we just cancel the return, we would get no refund for the unused fare because it would revert back to one way fares.  And, if we were to make changes in the cities and dates on the return, the quote was about $5K/person.

We are seriously considering a Windstar cruise (Granted, not SeaDream) on very similar dates which gets into Lisbon two days before our flight from Lisbon back to the US.  We are waiting for a return quote on the cost, but it seems that a Suite on Windstar is about the cost of a deck two cabin on SeaDream.  But then you would have to buy a liquor package.  Windstar is a less expensive option on their regular cabins.  

19 minutes ago, BeignetBoy said:

We also

have travel insurance, but the flight that we booked was a business class multi-city from the US to Malaga (for the East-bound crossing) and then from Lisbon to the US (for the West-bound).  It was cheaper to do that than to book one way flights. 

Per American Airlines,  if we just cancel the return, we would get no refund for the unused fare because it would revert back to one way fares.  And, if we were to make changes in the cities and dates on the return, the quote was about $5K/person.

We are seriously considering a Windstar cruise (Granted, not SeaDream) on very similar dates which gets into Lisbon two days before our flight from Lisbon back to the US.  We are waiting for a return quote on the cost, but it seems that a Suite on Windstar is about the cost of a deck two cabin on SeaDream.  But then you would have to buy a liquor package.  Windstar is a less expensive option on their regular cabins.  

Ah, yes I see your predicament. Well, the Windstar sounds like a great option for you!

Also, I wish that SeaDream would do a better job of planning so that their customers wouldn't have to go through this stuff.  Last year, they cut the same cruise (Eastbound TA) short by about 3 days to get into dry dock earlier.  Perhaps last year's change was caused by some unexpected maintenance or repair, but they sure should have seen this one coming.  

As indicated above, we changed to Windstar so as not to lose the airfare that we have already paid for.

Edited by BeignetBoy

What a major bummer!  Bb, do you have crossing directions backwards?  Coming out of Malaga this weekend is westbound, right?  And April 2020 ending in Lisbon would have been eastbound?  Of course, I can be directionally challenged.

if you look at the voyage calender, SD2’s last cruise in the Caribbean ends March 21 and doesn’t pick up again til May 7!  There might be a charter or two in the Caribbean, but an original departure of Ap 20 with no pax must mean a LOT of work in addition to drydock!  Fall 2017 didn’t get everything done and Spring 2019 got cut short to replace bow thrusters.  Mysterious....

Hope the windstar substitution works out for you so you can keep the airfare!  Would be interested to hear what you think about Windstar, if you do it.

vandrefalk

Am on SD2 now and can confirm word is repair work that needs to be done as part of the dry dock.  Got the impression the work couldn’t be done for whatever reason within the planned dry dock time in Lisbon.  Neither option was a good one: cancel the TA or delay the start of the Med cruises post-dry dock.  Sorry to hear the news.  Hope folks are taken care of properly.  

We are on the voyage before the SD2 crossing which starts from Malaga tomorrow - Sunday.  This will be our first TA so fingers crossed.  Have heard second hand that SD1 which left last Sunday has had some tough weather conditions including strong headwinds and large swells due to that big low over the eastern Atlantic, part of which became TS Pablo.  Understand SD2 will take a different route to avoid the weather if possible (more southerly from Funchal then westward as opposed to SW from Funchal).  Will report in as WiFi allows!