Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
dawny999

ventura

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, dawny999 said:

hi cruisers, as anyone been on the ventura recently is it an adult only ship please. tia

No but on many winter cruises there are very few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on Ventura now

It’s half-term in a lot of areas and there are a lot of children on board.  Also a lot of young couples, middle-aged couples, pretty old couples, multi-generational family groups, people with mobility issues.

 

Ventura was our first cruise ship in 2010.  We feel she has aged well.  The ship’s fabric looks good - bright and clean everywhere we have been

 

One thing which has struck us - many of the individual chairs in public areas now appear to be “plus sized”.  Particularly striking in Havana, where the previous tub style chairs have gone, in favour of the armless wide seated ones.  Makes you think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on a 35 day cruise on Ventura in January 2021. I fully expect this to be an adult (probably senior adult) cruise only!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wowzz said:

We are on a 35 day cruise on Ventura in January 2021. I fully expect this to be an adult (probably senior adult) cruise only!

I'm also on her January 2021 and probably will be mostly seniors it helps being 35 days long , we were on her in September to Norway and didn't see many children about 8 in total , all in all the carpets and furnishings were all good and clean , only one small problem was at certain times of the day there was a foul plumbing smell around the Havana club , photo areas but you would always see a cleaner spraying something in the air to get rid of the smell, they would do this every day for a couple of hours 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Purdey - hopefully we might meet up. First time on Ventura.  Your comments are encouraging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Hello Purdey - hopefully we might meet up. First time on Ventura.  Your comments are encouraging. 

 

Hello wowzz, we have been on Ventura four times now never found a problem with anything staff and service all been lovely , just that smell in that area at  certain times but I'm sure they're sort it out soon , just to let you know that ther is a roll call for this cruise it is small and quite at moment but you can get some good information from others in what they will be doing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are also on the January cruise - we have done it twice before. Ventura is well suited for the longer cruises. We have also found another demographic on this cruise, which is the newly retired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on Ventura in January and I hope there will be a few younger than me, I am a mere 72.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ataraxia said:

We are also on the January cruise - we have done it twice before. Ventura is well suited for the longer cruises. We have also found another demographic on this cruise, which is the newly retired.

Yes we come into this category it will be our first retirement cruise at sweet 60 , and very mobile still 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

 

Hello wowzz, we have been on Ventura four times now never found a problem with anything staff and service all been lovely , just that smell in that area at  certain times but I'm sure they're sort it out soon , just to let you know that ther is a roll call for this cruise it is small and quite at moment but you can get some good information from others in what they will be doing 

We have done 3 round trip Caribbean cruises on Ventura and never encountered any sewage smells.  But the average age will be well into the 70's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be on it Easter. School holidays and for that reason only as we have 4 & 5 year old. 
 

im expecting it packed. Not looking forward to that at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

We will be on it Easter. School holidays and for that reason only as we have 4 & 5 year old. 
 

im expecting it packed. Not looking forward to that at all

You're worrying unduly, there will be quite a few children,  but the age profile will be much lower with lots of young families.

We are on this one as well and even though in our 70s we are looking forward to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You're worrying unduly, there will be quite a few children,  but the age profile will be much lower with lots of young families.

We are on this one as well and even though in our 70s we are looking forward to it.


your on the Canary Islands on 4th April 2020? 
 

we were on azura but got moved. I worry that cos there is only one ship now at Easter that it will be busier. I’m hoping the kids club isn’t packed either cos they like going there even though it’s probably only an hour a day it was terribly nice sitting in glass house or planet bar on azura with hubby this year. 
I’m looking forward to the itinerary too. Always wanted to go to Tenerife but couldn’t do a week there. I’d get too bored. 
 

do we go through bay of Biscay? I say this cos I don’t particularly like boats which is stupid when I cruise and bay of Biscay was terrible this May I seriously thought it would be like titanic, didn’t sleep that night. I did look and thought it wasn’t as much into the bay as our last one from Santander to St. Peter port. 
 

hope the kids don’t put you off. I do try to wrangle the madness that is my two 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

do we go through bay of Biscay?

You will go through it twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:


your on the Canary Islands on 4th April 2020? 
 

we were on azura but got moved. I worry that cos there is only one ship now at Easter that it will be busier. I’m hoping the kids club isn’t packed either cos they like going there even though it’s probably only an hour a day it was terribly nice sitting in glass house or planet bar on azura with hubby this year. 
I’m looking forward to the itinerary too. Always wanted to go to Tenerife but couldn’t do a week there. I’d get too bored. 
 

do we go through bay of Biscay? I say this cos I don’t particularly like boats which is stupid when I cruise and bay of Biscay was terrible this May I seriously thought it would be like titanic, didn’t sleep that night. I did look and thought it wasn’t as much into the bay as our last one from Santander to St. Peter port. 
 

hope the kids don’t put you off. I do try to wrangle the madness that is my two 

Yes we are on that cruise, if you see an old guy pushing an old gal in a silver wheelchair, then it could be me, so maybe stop us and introduce your 2 terrors to us.

Ventura has Metroplolis in place of the planet bar, and I prefer Ventura's glass house which still has a Spanish Al Fresco restaurant feel to it, from when it was Las Ramblas.  

Hope to see you around enjoying a fantastic holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 10:36 PM, wowzz said:

You will go through it twice.


 

Is it all the same when going through there or do you think it will not feel as bad being the opposite side like we were last time. 
 

I don’t particularly like boats or being in the sea and I get sea sick too so I am not sure why I cruise but most of the time I don’t really feel like I’m in the sea if you get what I mean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:


 

Is it all the same when going through there or do you think it will not feel as bad being the opposite side like we were last time. 
 

I don’t particularly like boats or being in the sea and I get sea sick too so I am not sure why I cruise but most of the time I don’t really feel like I’m in the sea if you get what I mean. 

Sorry - it really makes no difference. If the sea is rough, the whole ship gets thrown around. If in doubt, get a cabin on the lowest possible deck, but even then, you will feel rough seas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on the january 2021 35 night cruise on Ventura too.We did the 28 night cruise to the Caribbean and back this January and really enjoyed it.Although most passengers were 60+ there were several younger couples and a few families (one couple got married on the ship )It seemed a slightly younger age mix than some of the adult only cruises we have been on and there were a few children but you hardly noticed them.I think more people are choosing to home school their kids which accounts for a few more than I would normally have expected.We liked it so much that we booked for Jan 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 1:18 PM, dawny999 said:

hi cruisers, as anyone been on the ventura recently is it an adult only ship please. tia

Unfortunately not, but I wish it was. We only ever sail on her outside of school holidays. We find the best time to sail is in September when the children have gone back for the new year and they have to be there. There might still be some younger children onboard but few and far between.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:


 

Is it all the same when going through there or do you think it will not feel as bad being the opposite side like we were last time. 
 

I don’t particularly like boats or being in the sea and I get sea sick too so I am not sure why I cruise but most of the time I don’t really feel like I’m in the sea if you get what I mean. 

Looking at your post I would strongly recommend that you get some motion sickness tablets, I use Stugeron. I found that taking one as soon as I boarded, one before bed, then one first thing the next morning and I didn’t need any more fore the rest of my trip, although if the captain warns about lively weather it may be worth taking another. They really are worth it as there’s nothing worse than seasickness, but talk to your GP if you need further advice, particularly about if they’re suitable for kids.

Les.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Les_ldh said:

Looking at your post I would strongly recommend that you get some motion sickness tablets, I use Stugeron. I found that taking one as soon as I boarded, one before bed, then one first thing the next morning and I didn’t need any more fore the rest of my trip, although if the captain warns about lively weather it may be worth taking another. They really are worth it as there’s nothing worse than seasickness, but talk to your GP if you need further advice, particularly about if they’re suitable for kids.

Les.


thank you I will be looking at getting some this time. Didn’t take any the first two times and was only bad on way back when there Was a storm. Luckily it’s only me that gets like it. Kids slept though all the storm and were spot on. Wish I could have been like that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of the tablets we tend to use the seabands as we find they work better with no side effects 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...