Hesitant to travel, sick parent/insurance questions

LSKC

Here is the situation. We are looking at booking a cruise for March. Looking at a cost of around $6000 total...enough that I would want coverage incase of emergencies, etc.

My dad is ill, he has a lung condition that is terminal although he has been living well for the past 5 years. Its progressive and he is starting to show signs that the disease is progressing. I am very worried about booking a cruise incase he starts to go down-hill or God forbid he becomes gravely ill and requires my help with care or worst. Because this is a pre-existing "condition" - are we in a scenario where cancellation insurance would not be honoured.  I just can't predict his health at this time and he wants us to not put our lives on hold worrying about "what ifs". It's difficult to book the cruise wondering...

Any advice appreciated. We are in Ontario Canada and I believe we have decent coverage through our AMEX gold card (although I'll need to look over the fine print). Its the pre-existing thing I'm trying to decifer.

Thanks.

58 minutes ago, LSKC said:

Here is the situation. We are looking at booking a cruise for March. Looking at a cost of around $6000 total...enough that I would want coverage incase of emergencies, etc.

My dad is ill, he has a lung condition that is terminal although he has been living well for the past 5 years. Its progressive and he is starting to show signs that the disease is progressing. I am very worried about booking a cruise incase he starts to go down-hill or God forbid he becomes gravely ill and requires my help with care or worst. Because this is a pre-existing "condition" - are we in a scenario where cancellation insurance would not be honoured.  I just can't predict his health at this time and he wants us to not put our lives on hold worrying about "what ifs". It's difficult to book the cruise wondering...

Any advice appreciated. We are in Ontario Canada and I believe we have decent coverage through our AMEX gold card (although I'll need to look over the fine print). Its the pre-existing thing I'm trying to decifer.

Thanks.

I hope your father continues to do well...!

About the insurance, in Canada, there aren't some of the good choices available here in the USA (unfortunately) - and THANKS for stating your country, so you don't get a bunch of irrelevant responses.

I'd STRONGLY suggest that you contact

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

But CALL them to discuss your very specific situation.

We always get our insurance through them, and I only recently realized that they do have some policies for Canadian residents.

Good luck!

BTW, we had to cancel a major trip (1 month cruise/land) last May due to very elderly MIL landing suddenly in the ER with heart trouble, so I really understand your concerns.  And we did get a full refund, but that was secondary to our initial concerns (and we didn't even file the claim for a while, as MIL's situation was far more important).

GC