Cruise Critic Community
WallyNDiane

Cruise Price Drop Question

We put down a non-refundable deposit in July for a February Princess Cruise. There was one price drop on the cruise in early September which Princess did give us.

Just this week Princess lowered the price again (by a larger amount than the first price drop). I contacted my Travel Agent to see if we can get that second price drop.

We were told by my TA that Princess will only honor the first price drop. We received no perks with the booking.

Our final payment is due the first week of November. I was originally told that Princess would honor any price drop up to the point where final payment is made.

Has anyone else encountered this price drop denial? I assume this is Princess denying the drop and not the Travel Agency. We are retired and every dollar is important to us.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

I'm sure didn't people were told different things, but my TA informed me when I booked with a non-refundable deposit I wouldn't be able to get any price drops or switch to any other promo.  

since I don't know the particulars of your situation and your 'relationship' with your TA ... i'll just post my latest experiences

prior to final payment ... switched from a no promotion , refundable deposit to a Getaway promotion, with a NON-refundable deposit with a substantial  at least for me, reduction in the fare since the 2nd passenger was 50% off

since final payment was made, we have refared twice, under the same Getaway promotion, and both times the price drop has already been returned to our form of payment

this was direct with Princess, no TA involved ...

We did a price correction a week before final payment due date, our deposit was non-refundable by that point, AND we had already paid in full a week or so earlier.

Having said that Princess did put up a fight with my TA.

My TA is my sister in law so I get the full breakdown whereas if you're not as close with your TA they might not divulge this much about what happens when the TA approaches princess about the adjustment. 

They told my sister in law that since we had already made our final payment, that meant they had already mailed out the TA commission check, which made any customer price adjustments significantly more difficult.  I looked this up and Princess is the exception to the rule - most lines pay after the cruise has completed, princess pays when final payment is received, even if it's before the due date. 

My sister in law is relentless though, and she did convince them to do it for us, even though it actually meant a hit to her own commission (relative pennies as a percentage).  They were very adamant that no further discounts would be applied if the fare dropped any further.

This was a situation where it definitely suggested that life would have been easier without a TA.  The price HAS dropped since the final payment due date and we haven't pursued any further adjustments.  At this point I figure if someone's willing to wait this long to book then I tip my cap to them and I don't expect a price match...I paid for the security of having my cabin of choice locked down and would gladly do it again.  Having said that, I feel like anything before final payment due date should be fair game, and I shouldn't be punished for making my final payment before the due date.  I did it a couple weeks early because of credit card period ending reasons.  It just didn't matter to me whether it was the day I paid it or if I waited a couple weeks; same statement.  In the future I'll wait til closer to the day of.

37 minutes ago, WallyNDiane said:

We received no perks with the booking.

your TA didn't discount the price, or give you OBC ?

does the TA, not Princess, charge a fee if you remove/transfer the booking from them ?

We got one free specialty restaurant coupon per person. We did get $75 pp OBC, but because this was a Getaway promotion, we were told no further perks would be honored. 

We would get frequent email promotion offers from Princess but again, we were told those promotion perks were not available for Getaway Promotions.

I have been on 10 cruises with other cruise lines and we always got a price break when they offered one up to the point of final payment.

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

since I don't know the particulars of your situation and your 'relationship' with your TA ... i'll just post my latest experiences

prior to final payment ... switched from a no promotion , refundable deposit to a Getaway promotion, with a NON-refundable deposit with a substantial  at least for me, reduction in the fare since the 2nd passenger was 50% off

since final payment was made, we have refared twice, under the same Getaway promotion, and both times the price drop has already been returned to our form of payment

this was direct with Princess, no TA involved ...

Princess honoured the lower fare AFTER final payment was made?  That's incredible.  I always thought we could only refare up until time of final payment.  I've honestly never bothered to track the fare after that (in fear of seeing the price drop significantly and not being able to take advantage of it!!!)

7 minutes ago, High C's said:

Princess honoured the lower fare AFTER final payment was made?  That's incredible.  I always thought we could only refare up until time of final payment.  I've honestly never bothered to track the fare after that (in fear of seeing the price drop significantly and not being able to take advantage of it!!!)

not sure if Canada is any different ...

but our final was 9/20/19 - re-fared on 9/24 and 10/10 ...  no price drops since then:classic_sad:

Sounds more like your TA’s policy and not Princess .

You are before Princess Cancelation Penalty unless you booked a non refundable deposit .

If your deposit is refundable , Cancel now and book again with a TA that appreciates your business .

Also , you booked with no promo ??????
Princess seems to always have a Sale and also allows TA’s to discount their best rates .

8 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Sounds more like your TA’s policy and not Princess .

You are before Princess Cancelation Penalty unless you booked a non refundable deposit .

If your deposit is refundable , Cancel now and book again with a TA that appreciates your business .

Also , you booked with no promo ??????
Princess seems to always have a Sale and also allows TA’s to discount their best rates .

deleted ...

25 minutes ago, High C's said:

I've never used a TA to book a cruise and now starting to think I may never.  On every cruise we've been on we've been able to get the lower fares advertised after booking and this has typically happened more than once for each cruise.  I have often gotten the lower fare after paying final payment--one time up until 4 days of sailing.     Maybe there are some perks with booking with a TA, but it would make me pretty cranky to be booked with a TA and then not be able to get the lower fare.

12 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

I have often gotten the lower fare after paying final payment--one time up until 4 days of sailing.   

you beat us by 1 day ... ours was 5 - western Caribbean after the hurricanes hit a few years ago

We've been successful making post final payment updates when we book direct through Princess. Enough so that I won't be using a TA anymore. I know some people get incredible deals through their TA, but since we aren't allowed to share names, and I don't know any ones that give these deep discounts I will book happily through Princess. 

6 minutes ago, voljeep said:

you beat us by 1 day ... ours was 5 - western Caribbean after the hurricanes hit a few years ago

Isn't it a good feeling??   I do love Princess for this perk--not every cruise line will do this.    

4 hours ago, WallyNDiane said:

We got one free specialty restaurant coupon per person. We did get $75 pp OBC, but because this was a Getaway promotion, we were told no further perks would be honored. 

We would get frequent email promotion offers from Princess but again, we were told those promotion perks were not available for Getaway Promotions.

I have been on 10 cruises with other cruise lines and we always got a price break when they offered one up to the point of final payment.

There could be a few reasons you can't get it refared:

*If the lower price is for new bookings only.  You would have to cancel your current booking and rebook under the new fare. 

*If the lower price now has a refundable deposit and you had originally booked under a nonrefundable deposit. Can't change a nonrefundable deposit to a refundable one.

*If you're wanting to keep the specialty dining voucher, the $75 pp OBC, AND get the lower price. Since the new pricing doesn't include the specialty dining voucher, you would lose the voucher to get the lower price. I don't know where the $75 pp OBC is coming from, but it could have been an agency promo when you first booked. You would possibly lose that as well by refaring.

Do any of those apply to your situation?

4 hours ago, High C's said:

Travel agents can also refare past the final payment date but they don't always like doing it. Princess pays commission to travel agents when the final payment has been made. When a cruise is refared past final payment date, Princess then "recalls" part of the agent's commission. It's a big pain for the agent/agency to turn around and have to give money back. Some of us are happy to have happy clients and others think the hassle isn't worth it.

5 hours ago, High C's said:

One of the few times there was a price drop on one of our cruises, it was after final payment (no TA involved). I called Princess and requested the drop and was given OBC instead. IIRC it was $100pp.

6 hours ago, High C's said:

I’ve been refare twice on one cruise after final payment. I was booked directly thru a Personal Vacation Planner at Princess.

Life, love, and cruising is what we make of it..

We have even before gotten our Suite or Cabins at the desk at the boarding dock(s) and refare.

We always use a ASTA Professional Travel Agent. Only once in all the decades have any cruise lines given a better fare. It was Princess before being Carnivalized BTW.

11 hours ago, idahospud said:

Travel agents can also refare past the final payment date but they don't always like doing it. Princess pays commission to travel agents when the final payment has been made. When a cruise is refared past final payment date, Princess then "recalls" part of the agent's commission. It's a big pain for the agent/agency to turn around and have to give money back. Some of us are happy to have happy clients and others think the hassle isn't worth it.

i'm guessing that this is what the OP is running up against ... guessing

37 minutes ago, skynight said:

Try again.

yes the "OP" should try again with the TA now knowing that Princess does re-fare after final payment

EDIT: I have re-fared and saved 18% AFTER final payment dealing directly with Princess and not having to deal with a TA ... different strokes

and the 18% is off total cruise fare ...' cause I am not privy to NCF amounts

Edited by voljeep

I’m curious about a different but related issue.

Does anyone know why Princess penalizes you for booking long cruises? We ran into this earlier this year when our 49-day South America cruise needed to be broken into two shorter crises but now we have booked, directly with Princess, a 53-day cruise which has been structured to prevent that from being done. If you take the cruise out of Vancouver and get off in Shanghai you get free gratuities, upgrade possibilities on-board credit and can use Future Cruise Credits. Stay on the same ship and get off in Singapore and you get nothing, which means you get to pay $2.5K in gratuities and receive zilch OBC. Is this something cruise lines do to punish customers on long cruises or is it just a Princess thing. While I believe tipping is an archaic practice I participate in the practice because it is a cruising norm in our part of the world. I don’t like the idea that I am singled out because I am a good customer to be excluded from the booking benefits offered to everyone else in their thrice-weekly sales promotions.

Their ads and their website says everyone benefits, just apparently not people who take their long cruises.