Torn between booking EDGE or EQUINOX (here's why...)

LSKC

My husband, myself and another couple (all mid-40's) are looking to book a Celebrity cruise for February or March. We are from Ontario Canada and will suffer through a long winter before we can get away to the sun!

We've decided on Celebrity (over RC and NCL) because we aren't bringing our kids and so we'd like to choose a cruise line that isn't necessarily kid-focused. Now, I like kids and I know there will be kids on the cruise but in comparison to an Oasis class RC ship.... I've got a hunch there will be mostly couples and older families. Also chose Celebrity b/c I've heard all great things about their dining and we love good food. We will likely do a mix of MDR and specialty dining.

We have a "budget in mind" and the two options (at about the same pricing) are (both with 4 perks premium pkg):

1) EQUINOX Concierge balcony 

2) EDGE but in a panoramic ocean view room (giving up the balcony and concierge)...an upgrade to a balcony room is another $1000CAD/cabin and takes us way over our budget.

Our taste leans toward the more modern, new EDGE as it looks like more entertainment and things-to-do options. The decor really appeals to us. I am just trying to decide if I am willing to give up a balcony to enjoy the newer ship. I've only ever done one other cruise (Disney) a long time ago with our little ones and stayed in an inside room b/c I was worried about safety (my son was a busy one that liked to climb things!)

Any feedback appreciated, especially if:

- you've done both ships

-have stayed in the panoramic ocean view room (no balcony) - deck 6 only i believe on EDGE

-been on the Equinox since it was "spruced up" a bit (i understand it didn't quite get the makeover it was scheduled to have due to time restraints)

Thanks!

Edited by LSKC

It seems that the Edge is your preference, but the lack of a proper balcony is holding you back. But how much time would you actually spend sitting on your balcony? I know some people who use theirs constantly and would never be happy without one. On the other hand, I know others who like to have one but in reality spend almost no time on it.

We've had Concierge cabins and have one booked for next year, but quite honestly, they offer very little IMO. and we've only booked them when the price has more or less matched a normal balcony price. Don't worry about giving it up.

Personally, I'd go with the Edge. I've not been aboard yet, but if you can get a booking within the same price range as the Equinox, I'd definitely lean that way.

• Like 1

Go EDGE..

We  like Equinox very much but EDGE was amazing in many ways !

We are heading back in a few weeks.  If you can manage an IV stateroom try that..but avoid obstructed views.  We liked the IV,   but the other choice would be fine....the IV is  really a  cabin with a bit more space and a window that opens!

And the 4 mdr plan is exciting!  The art and gen decor are great!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

Similar situation here (also from Ontario).  For me to decide I did apples to apples price comparison (oceanview to oceanview and balcony to balcony).  While I'd like to try Edge when I do an apples to apples price comparison I just can't justify the price increase on the Edge. For an oceanview it's $400 cdn more per person and for a balcony it's $800 cdn more per person.  Easy choice for me... Equinox.

• Like 2

We have done Edge and Equinox (pre-refurbishment) several times. Given that it seems like you lean towards Edge, I would say go with that. While we did not stay in a PO room, we did a cabin crawl on our Edge cruise and saw one. It was very nice and exactly the same as the other rooms except for the lack of a balcony. I think @Fouremco poses a great question in terms of asking how often you use your balcony? If you generally don't use your balcony and are out and about on the ship I think that tips things in favor of Edge as well. However, if you like to spend a lot of time on your balcony and a cruise wouldn't be the same without, then I would probably go with the Equinox.

Another question is do you plan to eat in the specialty restaurants? Edge has more of those than Equinox as well so I think that is something else to factor in. They are also completely different for the most part so it may also come down to what you are looking for. The four MDR's also have appeal to many since they are less hectic than the larger MDR.

At the end of the day there are pluses and minuses to each ship, but I would personally vote for Edge.

• Like 1

We just celebrated our 50th anniversary on the Equinox this past August. We were booked in a regular balcony, moved to a sunset balcony but when prices were lowered we ended up in an Aqua spa balcony. The ship has been partially revolutionized and we certainly enjoyed the whole cruise especially good entertainment and dining. Since we were in the Aqua balcony our assigned dining venue was Blu. Food and service was exceptional.  We have been on various Celebrity ships and have enjoyed all of them. We now have the Edge booked for April and the pics and venues do appear to be edgy but I'm sure we will enjoy it. I found after we booked that anytime dining does allow visits to 4 different dining rooms. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

I am absolutely in love with the Edge and can't wait to cruise on her again, but if you've only done one other cruise (Disney) a long time ago you're not going to know the difference.  The Solstice class ships (including Equinox) are all fabulous and they are what sold us on Celebrity.  I would go for the Equinox and the balcony - you will love it.   For me having a balcony is worth it's weight in GOLD.  Then you can save up and do the Edge a few years from now.  I think the food is great on all Celebrity ships.  But I would also save a bit of money and don't waste it on Concierge - the only thing extra you get is some snacks delivered to your cabin each afternoon that (to us) are not good and not even close to worth it, and a lunch in the main dining room the day you board which has a very limited menu.  Save your money and go to a specialty restaurant one night. There's a lot to do on the Equinox too, we are in the same age group as you and had a ton of fun.  Have a great cruise whatever you decide!

Edited by cricketgirl
  • Like 2

Also from Ontario!  You know to avoid March Break, I hope.  Since it's all about getting out of winter for a while, I'd recommend the regular balcony.  Nothing like looking at the beautiful ocean blue from your own private space in the warm air!  That said, I haven't been on the Edge yet.  I hope that you enjoy whichever one you pick.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, airhose said:

Also from Ontario!  You know to avoid March Break, I hope.  Since it's all about getting out of winter for a while, I'd recommend the regular balcony.  Nothing like looking at the beautiful ocean blue from your own private space in the warm air!  That said, I haven't been on the Edge yet.  I hope that you enjoy whichever one you pick.  

Yes but trying to figure out as i'm sure they are stagerred breaks depending on province/state. We are looking at the following dates - either bad??

March 7-14 or March 29-Apr 5

9 minutes ago, LSKC said:

Yes but trying to figure out as i'm sure they are stagerred breaks depending on province/state. We are looking at the following dates - either bad??

March 7-14 or March 29-Apr 5

Check out US spring break times as well....reg grades plus college!

While almost all of our cruises have been in Balcony cabins, we had the opportunity to get a 10 day cruise for an incredibly cheap price.  It was the first journeys cruise on the Carnival dream, and i think people didn't really understand the concept yet or didn't like the different starting and ending ports, so they were not selling well.  We were offered the stunning price of $75/pp for an interior or $185/pp for an ocean view cabin, plus $150 in cabin credit (so the interior was basically port fees and taxes only).  We didn't want an interior, but were enticed by the ocean view cabin.

I asked some friends and family about cruising in ocean views and they convinced me we would be fine.  They were right, we LOVED the cabin and the experience.  We spent more time on the public decks, and for that cruise especially it was fine because we were about half the average age on that cruise (we were in our mid 40s at the time).  Of course now the Journey's cruises are highly popular now so i don't ever expect to see an offer like that again.

If the edge has more of what you want, pick that one.  While we still mostly get balconies, we know we would like an ocean view cabin just fine and there may be times when we go that way if a ship or itinerary is especially enticing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hcat said:

Check out US spring break times as well....reg grades plus college!

Do you know of a website that would have that information, i'm not sure where i'd start to collect all that data? 

Good suggestion.

8 minutes ago, LSKC said:

Do you know of a website that would have that information, i'm not sure where i'd start to collect all that data? 

Good suggestion.

It's going to be impossible to do honestly as every school district/college is slightly different. We are doing Edge again in March. I think you just have to assume there is a chance of spring breakers cruising this time of year. That being said I know a lot of school districts around us are doing the first full week of April because of when Easter falls. However, most of the colleges in our area will have spring break the first or second week of March because of how their semesters fall. There is just a ton of variability when it comes to stuff like this as I'm sure its different in Canada.

Edited by prim8keeper
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, prim8keeper said:

It's going to be impossible to do honestly as every school district/college is slightly different. We are doing Edge again in March. I think you just have to assume there is a chance of spring breakers cruising this time of year. That being said I know a lot of school districts around us are doing the first full week of April because of when Easter falls. However, most of the colleges in our area will have spring break the first or second week of March because of how their semesters fall. There is just a ton of variability when it comes to stuff like this as I'm sure its different in Canada.

Yes. In the US when you include colleges and universities, basically any time from Presidents’ Week (third Monday in February starts it - well the weekend leading to it) through the week or so after Easter is what we call “rolling spring break” - there will be some kids out (from elementary through college) every week.

NYC is out Presidents’ Week for Winter Break (a lot of northeast school systems are) and Passover/Easter is Spring Break.

• Like 2

Just a Suggestion from a Fellow Ontario Resident

While you are weighing your alternatives, call Celebrity to see if they are running their “It’s All Included” vacation package for 2020. 

This is a program specifically designed for Canadians and was a package that included airfare from specific Canadian airports on the day of the cruise, a hot meal in flight, transportation from the Florida airport to the cruiseport, the cruise along with some perks (depending on stateroom chosen), return transportation from the disembarkation cruiseport to the Florida airport and return airfare (we even received a hot meal on the way back). The Ontario weather in March can be unpredictable at best. The flight, in this package, offered through Celebrity gives you the comfort in knowing that if you miss the embarkation for any reason, Celebrity is responsible for getting you to the first port of call.

The total price of the package was very attractive and convenient as opposed to booking the cruise, flights and any local transportation separately. It made the process very easy.

When we went, flights in Ontario left and returned through London and Hamilton. Not sure if these airports would work for you even if the package is still offered.

I’m not sure if this program is still being offered, but it might be a reasonable alternative for the 4 of you to consider.

You will be pleased with either ship. We have sailed on Equinox many times, all with balconies. We will be sailing on Edge in November, and frankly, we are really excited about this one. As others have said, the 4 of you will be looking to explore together what the ship and ports have to offer. The majority of that time will not be spent on a balcony, so I would not let the balcony drive your decision.

This is an exciting time for you. Take the time necessary to make the decision that is right for you and the other couple travelling with you. 

The fact that you have chosen Celebrity means you will win regardless of which ship you     are on.

Randy

• Like 1

Since you mention deck 6 specifically on Edge, you may want to view some of the video tours of panaramic views on you tube, etc. Then decide how important the view from your room is to your enjoyment. 

I did a quick search and several rooms had obstructed views looking out onto the tops of lifeboats, with an overhang that further cut into the view. 

Balsony or not, if your view is not what you envision when you think panaramic, you may want to go for the Equinox. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LSKC said:

Good suggestion.

Your biggest concern is the Ontario March break as, in addition to potentially effecting your cruise, it has a major impact on flights. For 2020, it's March 16-20. Depending on where you live in Ontario and your normal airport, the Quebec March break should also be considered, this year March 2-6. I mention this because if your travel dates are during the Ontario break and you live in Eastern Ontario, it's worth the drive to Montreal to get cheaper and less packed flights. While we normally avoid any cruises during Ontario March break, we've flown out on Montreal a couple of times when going with the kids and grandkids. It appears that your dates avoid both the Ontario and Quebec breaks, so that's positive.

There are a number of sites listing major US college breaks, but I don't know if there is anything similar that would provide a comprehensive list of primary or high schools. Here's one for colleges: https://www.ststravel.com/college-spring-break-dates

• Like 1

We been on both the Equinox 4x and Edge in Jan and returning to the Edge in April for the Transatlantic.  We normally book a cabin  with a balcony or a Suite.  
When we were on the Edge in January we had a IV cabin which was beautiful, the floor to ceiling window was nice but even with the window open it wasn’t anything like a balcony.

When we got off the ship we said we wouldn’t pay for a IV again and booked a Panoramic OV.  They all have obstructed views mostly it is the top of a life boat that is at the bottom of the window it doesn’t obstruct you view out only down.  The 4 main dining rooms are getting great reviews and each has its own speciality items on he menu in addition to the daily MDR menu.  We are excited to go back on the Edge as we felt we barely scratched the surface of the things to do and explore on the ship.  There is plenty of outdoor space on the to sit and enjoy the ocean, read, sun or nap.  In reality we on port days we spent about 30 minutes on the balcony and on seas days  max 90 mins.  

The Equinox is beautiful but I would go for the Edge.

• Like 1

Some of the Panoramic Views have 50% obstructed views. The life boats and tenders are not so bad, but the davits (the cranes that lower and raise the life boats and tenders) protrude up in front of several cabins on 6. I would be fine with the PO (actually called IO now, for some reason) cabins otherwise.

The Ocean View cabins on 3 have smaller windows, but people have enjoyed them (though some have identified some noise from the stabilizers at times for deck 3 midship starboard side). They aren't obstructed. There are also a few nice forward Ocean View (way in the front of the ship) that are larger, with nice, big windows.

Here are a few pictures and the obstructed view cabin list:

Here is the Panoramic View that I visited:

image.thumb.png.218996de9ba1fa1115641d50f3651880.png

what a davit looks like:

image.png.53b63b52848fe46c28c06d12c147663d.png

Here is the obstructed view list for the Edge:

EDGE_Percent_Obstructed_View-2.pdf

We cruise for different reasons on different cruises. Sometimes it is for the itinerary, sometimes it is for the ship and sometimes it is just to get away so neither are that important. For us, we sailed the Edge for the ship and she has been exciting to sail on because she is beautiful, quirky, fun, original, has excellent food and great places to chill such as Eden, Rooftop Garden and the Magic Carpet (and Retreat Sundeck if in a suite) - such special places to relax, read, chat, have a drink and be connected to the ocean.

I haven't been on the Equinox, but have spent many wonderful days on other S Class ships. It would be a safe choice for you - most love the S Class ships, though if you want to give up the balcony and try something unique, go for the Edge. 🙂

• Like 1

Equinox.  Edge is too crowded and loud and shouty. Buffet on Edge is packed, specialty dining is packed,   Spa is packed on sea days.  They took some of the entertainment venues out on Edge.  Eden is packed.  Magic carpet is either very windy or extremely windy.  I missed Muranos on Edge and Fine Cuts was too noisy.

If they were both the same price I would still choose Equinox.

Edited by NMTraveller

52 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Equinox.  Edge is too crowded and loud and shouty. Buffet on Edge is packed, specialty dining is packed,   Spa is packed on sea days.  They took some of the entertainment venues out on Edge.  Eden is packed.  Magic carpet is either very windy or extremely windy.  I missed Muranos on Edge and Fine Cuts was too noisy.

If they were both the same price I would still choose Equinox.

I’ve been on Edge 3 times and had a very different experience than you.  We did not feel the Edge was crowded, loved having a drink on the Magic Carpet, Eden was our go to place for lunch at the cafe or just relaxing during sea days and never had an issue finding a place to sit in Eden when entertainment was provided.  The Grand Plaza is busy/crowded before first seating in the dining rooms but clears out after that.

OP, I doubt you can go wrong on either ship but my preference would be Edge.

20 minutes ago, Oville said:

I’ve been on Edge 3 times and had a very different experience than you.  We did not feel the Edge was crowded, loved having a drink on the Magic Carpet, Eden was our go to place for lunch at the cafe or just relaxing during sea days and never had an issue finding a place to sit in Eden when entertainment was provided.  The Grand Plaza is busy/crowded before first seating in the dining rooms but clears out after that.

OP, I doubt you can go wrong on either ship but my preference would be Edge.

Eden for us was always crowded in the evenings.  We would go to dinner early go to Eden and get a seat in the back that was obscured.  As people left we would work our way up to a better seat.  

You can’t add 400 more people to the ship, take away entertainment venues and not have areas of the ship that are packed.  The math does not add up.

I suppose that you could go early to Eden and get a good seat.  That was always when we were at dinner.

Edited by NMTraveller