Any Conern on Santiago pre/post cruise stays?

CCWineLover

5 hours ago, Ivy86 said:

Can you put the link for the forum ? Thanks for the info 

I’ve been watching that too. It’s hard to do a link, at least for me.  I found it by googling Tripsdvisor Santiago Chile forum. 

13 hours ago, teacherman said:

Follow this on TripAdviser-Santiago-Forum.   People who actually live there are giving daily updates.  I do not believe the cruise line will let YOU cancel the cruise because of this.  They may decide to cancel and refund your money, but that would really take some massive civil unrest.  The situation appears to be very fluid.  You probably do not want to be staying at a hotel near to the Plaza where most of the demonstrations begin.  We are going in January and are staying at a hotel in Vitacura area which is far from the demonstrations.  At least, so far. 🤔

Thank you!! Following now 😊

This thread has been helpful, I also have been following the TRIP ADVISOR postings.  We fly in to Santiago to pick up a cruise in San Antonio Jan 4.  We plan to take the Pullman bus:  this assumes the airport, taxi transport to bus station and roads out are ok.  I hope so.  There is no where else to fly into from USA.

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2019 at 12:53 AM, teacherman said:

I think it is Plaza Italia.  It also has another name.  You can find it on Google Maps.  Read through the above link for TripAdviser.

Plaza Italia is now called Plaza de la Dignidad. You can find it with that name in Google Maps.

We are in Santiago (day 3) ahead of our cruise Dec 21 out of Valparaiso.  Staying in Vitacura area - quite safe there and no affect from the protests.  We had a wonderful walking tour of the markets (Strawberry Tours) on Saturday - just teaming with people.  Our guide told us that since the protesters have destroyed many supermarkets, people have swarmed the Mercado Central and Vega Central markets in order to buy food.   It was absolutely teeming !!

We also had a wonderful tour today of Historical Santiago.  Were by Plaza Italia in the morning - it is stunning how it is pretty much dead and destroyed.  Our guide said every day people just show up in the late afternoon evening and see what kind of protests are going to rise up - there is no leadership - just whoever feels like doing something.  So much of that area and Lastarria is just trashed and full of graffiti. We saw so many anti-police graffiti.  Learned that A.C.A.B.  (seen everyone on buildings, stores, and more), from our guide, is actually acronym for the English words "All Cops are **astards"   )   There is hope that the voting for a new constituion will help matters but there is at least a small contingent of anarchists who our guide felt preferred to just keep unrest of any kind going regardless of progress.

I would not go out at night in any of the areas near downtown but during the day it seemed alright.

17 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We are in Santiago (day 3) ahead of our cruise Dec 21 out of Valparaiso.  Staying in Vitacura area - quite safe there and no affect from the protests.  We had a wonderful walking tour of the markets (Strawberry Tours) on Saturday - just teaming with people.  Our guide told us that since the protesters have destroyed many supermarkets, people have swarmed the Mercado Central and Vega Central markets in order to buy food.   It was absolutely teeming !!

We also had a wonderful tour today of Historical Santiago.  Were by Plaza Italia in the morning - it is stunning how it is pretty much dead and destroyed.  Our guide said every day people just show up in the late afternoon evening and see what kind of protests are going to rise up - there is no leadership - just whoever feels like doing something.  So much of that area and Lastarria is just trashed and full of graffiti. We saw so many anti-police graffiti.  Learned that A.C.A.B.  (seen everyone on buildings, stores, and more), from our guide, is actually acronym for the English words "All Cops are **astards"   )   There is hope that the voting for a new constituion will help matters but there is at least a small contingent of anarchists who our guide felt preferred to just keep unrest of any kind going regardless of progress.

I would not go out at night in any of the areas near downtown but during the day it seemed alright.

Thank you for the update and continue to be safe!