Konsingdam and Niuew Statendam -- Obstructed Balcony with HUGE balcony -- pics?

bamelin

On the Konsingdam and Nieuw Statendam there are 2 staterooms Cat VH on deck 4 forward (on either side of the ship) that have a "sideways" balcony.   The staterooms are life boat obstructed but apparently the size of these balconies are huge --- equivalent to a suite.  The door the balcony is on the side of the cabin rather than being at the back and where the balcony would be on a normal stateroom is a big oceanview style window.

Anyone have pictures of these rooms or stayed in them?  My parents are booked in 4042 on Nieuw Statendam (https://www.icruise.com/deckplans/holland-america-line-cruises-nieuw-statendam-deckplans-beethoven-deck.html#bootstrapContainer).  I've been looking on line but haven't had much luck finding pictures.

Edited by bamelin

5 minutes ago, bamelin said:

On the Konsingdam and Nieuw Statendam there are 2 staterooms Cat VH on deck 4 forward (on either side of the ship) that have a "sideways" balcony.   The staterooms are life boat obstructed but apparently the size of these balconies are huge --- equivalent to a suite.  The door the balcony is on the side of the cabin rather than being at the back and where the balcony would be on a normal stateroom is a big oceanview style window.

Anyone have pictures of these rooms or stayed in them?  My parents are booked in 4042 on Nieuw Statendam (https://www.icruise.com/deckplans/holland-america-line-cruises-nieuw-statendam-deckplans-beethoven-deck.html#bootstrapContainer).  I've been looking on line but haven't had much luck finding pictures.

HalFacts dot com has photos of Koningsdam 4045 and 4046, which are the "sideways" cabins.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Petunia1950

My folks upgraded from an inside and it was a really good price for a balcony.  We only realized afterwards it had an odd layout.

The stateroom we are looking at isn't those layouts though, it's 2 above.  4045 and 4046 also have different layouts but different from 4042 and 4041

Edited by bamelin

I don't have photos of the exact cabin you are looking for, but I have photos of cabin 4096 on Koningsdam. This is an accessible cabin with the best balcony I've ever had. The balcony layout is not exactly the same as 4042, but it may give them some idea of what to expect.

https://pbase.com/510picker/koningsdam_november_2018_cruise_

The balcony on 4096 was totally covered, which made it usable the majority of the time, regardless of the weather. We even sat at there during a heavy downpour without getting wet until the wind started blowing. If they are sun lovers, they may be slightly disappointed, but there are plenty of other areas to get sun.

I think your parents will be very happy with their cabin.

Edited by 510picker
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 510picker said:

I don't have photos of the exact cabin you are looking for, but I have photos of cabin 4096 on Koningsdam. This is an accessible cabin with the best balcony I've ever had. The balcony layout is not exactly the same as 4042, but it may give them some idea of what to expect.

The balcony on 4096 was totally covered, which made it usable the majority of the time, regardless of the weather. We even sat at there during a heavy downpour without getting wet until the wind started blowing. If they are sun lovers, they may be slightly disappointed, but there are plenty of other areas to get sun.

Great photos!  Thanks for sharing!!

57 minutes ago, 510picker said:

Thank you!  That 4096 looks awesome -- a big part of the balcony is unobstructed too!

21 minutes ago, bamelin said:

Thank you!  That 4096 looks awesome -- a big part of the balcony is unobstructed too!

I was pleasantly surprised by the view. The life boats didn't bother me one bit. Sure, it would have been better had they not been there, but then the price I paid for the cabin most likely would also have been significantly higher.

We will be on the Nieuw Statendam in a few weeks in cabin 4146, so it will be interesting to compare the two. Judging from the way things look on the deck plan, 4146 doesn't appear to be as large and appears much more obstructed.

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:36 AM, bamelin said:

4042 has the extra full length window and the balcony door as well.  We were in 4044 . Kind of dark and dreary room as large portion of our wall was adjacent to balcony  4042, so no window there only blank wall to look at as you entered. Patio door was further down and chesterfield was tucked into little alcove along side patio door. Nice space between desk and bed, but other than that no so good.  They could brighten the room up with a large mirror on that big blank wall.  We would leave the TV on tuned to the aft channel, so when entering the room it looked like a picture and kind of took your eyes of the big blank wall next to it.  Balcony was a bit bigger . Could fit 4 on it. 4042 had nicer - bigger balcony. 4042 had pretty much the traditional lay out, other than the extra window and patio door on the side, where as 4044 was sideways, so bed was only 30 inches from hallway.

This was on the Koningsdam , so not a real party ship so evenings hallway was not too noisy- however could hear breakfast carts in the morning rattling by.  As we were on B/B- the last night of the first half of cruise was very noisy picking up luggage. 4046 also had extra window and very long balcony. Much brighter room than 4044, but same layout being sideways and bed close to hallway.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, jeda4137 said:

4042 has the extra full length window and the balcony door as well.  We were in 4044 . Kind of dark and dreary room as large portion of our wall was adjacent to balcony  4042, so no window there only blank wall to look at as you entered. Patio door was further down and chesterfield was tucked into little alcove along side patio door. Nice space between desk and bed, but other than that no so good.  They could brighten the room up with a large mirror on that big blank wall.  We would leave the TV on tuned to the aft channel, so when entering the room it looked like a picture and kind of took your eyes of the big blank wall next to it.  Balcony was a bit bigger . Could fit 4 on it. 4042 had nicer - bigger balcony. 4042 had pretty much the traditional lay out, other than the extra window and patio door on the side, where as 4044 was sideways, so bed was only 30 inches from hallway.

This was on the Koningsdam , so not a real party ship so evenings hallway was not too noisy- however could hear breakfast carts in the morning rattling by.  As we were on B/B- the last night of the first half of cruise was very noisy picking up luggage. 4046 also had extra window and very long balcony. Much brighter room than 4044, but same layout being sideways and bed close to hallway.

Thank you that's great info!!!

Any cabin on Beethoven Deck (4) will have a much wider balcony than any other deck, as the balconies extend out beyond those on the decks above.  Of course, that also means people on those upper decks can view a portion of those Deck 4 balconies, even those with some covering.  We routinely stay in 4154 or 4156 which have some of the largest balconies on the ship.  Very nice.

Edited by sevenseasnomad
  • Thanks 2

• 3 years later...
On 10/24/2019 at 8:36 AM, bamelin said:

On YouTube there is a Video of Koningsdam 4041which is the same as 4042 but on the port side. I am booked in 4041 for this Christmas cruise.