How do you bring your beverages on board?

Peckishpixie

I am trying to find a better way of getting our wine and soda on board. We currently bring wine from Washington in a checked box on Alaska Air (wine flies free!) We stop at a store to get a 6 pack of diet soda and some San Peligrino on the way to the port. Then while trying to check in,  we have to balance the box of wine and the bag of soda plus our carry on luggage. There has to be a better way!

I am wondering the same thing as this will be the first time we will be bringing several bottles of wine AND soda onboard.

We are flying to Florida and have a few days there before the cruise.

We either take an extra carry on for this purpose and use it on the way back for purchases. Flying Southwest so it 

can be checked going there and coming back. Other thought I had was wait until we get to Florida and go to

Walmart and buy a small carry on. Hmmm...

We have taken 2 bottles of wine when going out of LA but its a pain because I have to move it from the

big suitcase to the carry on bag. 

Curious what others have done.

We always fly in early. We have a shopping list of items to purchase locally. Some fit in our suitcases. Other items we place in tote bag(s) which we pack in the suitcase and bring from home. Our carry ons are day packs. Some items fit in these. We carry the day packs on our backs, so if necessary, it is easy to carry a tote bag each.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

I am wondering the same thing as this will be the first time we will be bringing several bottles of wine AND soda onboard.

We are flying to Florida and have a few days there before the cruise.

We either take an extra carry on for this purpose and use it on the way back for purchases. Flying Southwest so it 

can be checked going there and coming back. Other thought I had was wait until we get to Florida and go to

Walmart and buy a small carry on. Hmmm...

We have taken 2 bottles of wine when going out of LA but its a pain because I have to move it from the

big suitcase to the carry on bag. 

Curious what others have done.

You can pre order from Total wines.  You can box it yourself.  Bring strong tape with you and a Sharpie.  Or, Publix sells a different wine and beer each week BOGO.  They usually pair a white & red.  This weeks offer is (sorry for the print size): 7 Deadly Zins Zinfandel Wine $16.40 & Ghost Pines Cabernet Sauvignon Wine $26.50.

We load up the sodas and canned juices (for mixed drinks) in a small carry on that my hubby rolls along.  We then use that case for dirty laundry on the way home.

We wrap the wines (usually only bring two and then buy a wine package onboard) in bubble wrap and put in my tote bag that has a sleeve that slips over my small carry on case.

We saw folks who did put a luggage tag on a case of soda and dropped it off with the porters.  Hubby wants to try that this time for our upcoming 15 day cruise.

3 hours ago, Peckishpixie said:

I am trying to find a better way of getting our wine and soda on board. We currently bring wine from Washington in a checked box on Alaska Air (wine flies free!) We stop at a store to get a 6 pack of diet soda and some San Peligrino on the way to the port. Then while trying to check in,  we have to balance the box of wine and the bag of soda plus our carry on luggage. There has to be a better way!

We will be buying several bottles of wine at a local shop before getting onboard as we will be there for a few days before our cruise.  I will put a heavy back pack in my checked back when leaving home and will take it out, pack it with our purchased wine and put it on my back, to be screened on cruise day.  When in ports, we will do the same and pay the corkage if asked.

We use something very similar to the wheeled insulated bag shown in the photo jennybenny attached. We usually have it full of sodas (both cans and 2L bottles). We’ve always put one of the luggage tags provided by Princess on the bag; it’s made it to our cabin every time. Found out the hard way though that you sometimes need to be very careful opening those cans or bottles after they’ve been jostled around on their way to our cabin. 😂  At cruise’s end, we either use that bag to pack purchased souvenirs or, if we don’t need the extra packing room, we just fold it up and put it out with our other luggage. 

2 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

You can see in the picture cases of wine (5), water, soda, Gatorade, etc

All the items had luggage tags and were checked.

20180919_092009.jpg

According to the website it says you cant check your beverages. Do they actually bring your water up for you?

5 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Not true.  We box it up and check it with our luggage.  They usually ask you to come down to the naughty room to pay the total corkage fee.

Going down to the naughty room takes time though. I dont think I want to spend my first day getting my wine out of time out.

14 minutes ago, Peckishpixie said:

According to the website it says you cant check your beverages. Do they actually bring your water up for you?

Yes,

Every item in the picture was checked except our two carry ons.

No problems at all. You do need to go down and pay the corkage for the wine.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Peckishpixie said:

Going down to the naughty room takes time though. I dont think I want to spend my first day getting my wine out of time out.

We waited until the mid afternoon and went to the pursers. For the 36 bottles we checked last fall, it cost me about 15 minutes at the desk. No need to go to the naughty room unless you carry on.

After it was paid, it was delivered later to the room by two men who put it where we wanted the wine.

By the way, Bottom of the closet on its side with the top open is a great way to store the wine.

Edited by TheRabbit
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, suers515 said:

I am seeing this and thinking about bringing soda.  Where on the Princess site does it say about bringing soda or water?

Thanks 

(not trying to hijack, feels like the same type of question)

I don’t think you’ll find anything on the Princess site telling you that it is permitted (after all, why put ideas like that in the minds of passengers who can buy it it all onboard!).  Conversely, you find anything telling you that it’s not and as long as it is properly labelled to get to your stateroom, you will be OK.

Does anyone have any experience bringing extra bottles of wine onboard when embarking from Sydney, Australia?  We've done this from U.S. ports without a problem (paying the corkage fee of course) but was wondering if this is accepted or prohibited in foreign ports, especially Sydney....

3 hours ago, Cabernetlover said:

Does anyone have any experience bringing extra bottles of wine onboard when embarking from Sydney, Australia?  We've done this from U.S. ports without a problem (paying the corkage fee of course) but was wondering if this is accepted or prohibited in foreign ports, especially Sydney....

NP.  

For those wondering how to manage carry-ons, plus wine, plus perhaps case of water or soda.  Yes, use luggage tags, but why not give one carry-on to the porters?  Just because you have a carry-on size suitcase doesn't mean the porters and crew cannot handle it.  Then you are freer to carry the wine. 

I have a collapsible dolly I bought and used just once so far that helped me wheel two full cases from Total Wine onto a ship for a long voyage.  In the past, I have probably brought mostly up to six bottles at a time. 

This time, I am taking a cloth wine bag designed to carry up to six bottles that will come out of a suitcase on arrival and port my Total Wine purchases.  I plan to leave my carry-on with porters and my wife will keep hers.  (We arrive early at the port and bags are in our cabin when we get there usually).  This way, I just have my backpack with notebook PC and my wine, so I am unburdened upon boarding for our 10-night voyage.