Panama Canal Transit

Lvwindstar007

Isn't the Wind Surf too tall to transit the Canal?  Her masts are 221 feet while the maximum allowable height is 190 feet.  The Star and Spirit are 204 feet tall so may squeak through under the "special case" exemption.  Regardless, none of them require the width and length that the new locks provide, so would likely be relegated to the historic original locks (which are still pretty darn cool).

https://www.windstarcruises.com/ships/wind-surf/overview/

https://wpeus2sat01.blob.core.windows.net/micanaldev/2018/avisosdenaviera/N01-2018.pdf

wind-spirit-cruise-ship-photos.jpg

Edited by Chipshot from Michigan

1 hour ago, Lvwindstar007 said:

Does anyone know if Windstar (actually Windsurf) uses the new locks for the canal transit?

I do not think that the Wind Surf is permitted to transit the Panama Canal.  Its masts are too tall to fit under the bridge.  I did the transit on the Wind Spirit, and we just squeezed under the bridge.  Tides are important.

We sailed under the bridge with the Wind Star, while the Panama Canal trip is fantastic going under the bridge with the masts, the optical illusion is fabulously creepy. You really think you will crash. Very funny and fun. Great journey. Happy Sailing.

2 hours ago, Lvwindstar007 said:

Sorry I was confused.  Yes we are on the Windstar on which we have done the canal cruise before.  Still want to know about the new locks and if we will use them in early December.  Jack in Reno

The new locks are only for the over sized ships, I believe.

Our Windstar motor yacht shared the 1000' old locks with a similar sized National Geographic ship behind us, and a float of three 37' (?) sailboats tied aside each other, in front of us. Interestingly, one of the electric locomotives assigned to tow us through one of the locks broke down, and we were told later that our captain told the lock management, in effect, "Hell no, we're not waiting for a substitute engine. I can keep this ship from touching the locks without it." And we proceeded.

I think it was the winch part of the tug-engine that broke down, because an immobile tug would have blocked the operating tugs on the the same, single, set of rails that they run on.

When was that?  We transited the Canal December 27-28 last year, overnighting in Gatun Lake.  The Lindblad/National Geographic Quest is smaller than Windstar's yachts, so maybe you saw the Explorer.

The mules don't tow ships through the locks, but rather steer them and prevent them from hitting and damaging the canal.  The new locks don't use them