Sojourn - Caribbean: When your vacation plans get trumped

Emperor Norton

Interesting. Reading not just this Seabourn forum but a few other lines as well, it seems a recurring theme. Cuba got cancelled 6 months out, cruise lines got “stuck” with Caribbean itineraries, and to fill the ships these itineraries were then send to cheap consolidators, resulting to a very different type of clientele on board (can I put it like that?) - with all the challenges that brings. Shame.

• Like 2

Apparently short shorts are ok in the restaurant for some.  

WHAT????? Men or women?!!
It offended me when someone wore a baseball cap all through dinner when we were on the Odyssey in October. I wish the Maitre 'D would enforce the dress code a little!

6 hours ago, florisdekort said:

to fill the ships these itineraries were then send to cheap consolidators, resulting to a very different type of clientele on board (can I put it like that?) - with all the challenges that brings. Shame.

Cheap consolidators--that's a term I've been looking for. 

1 hour ago, margbem said:

It offended me when someone wore a baseball cap all through dinner when we were on the Odyssey in October. I wish the Maitre 'D would enforce the dress code a little!

Young woman who uhh amply filled them n

11 hours ago, margbem said:

Baseball caps allowed in the Dining Room might possibly be for, say, a war-veteran with a head-wound; not for someone who is just brain deficient.   But I’ve seen them worn in circumstances in which they serve one useful purpose for me: they remove any thought of looking into what may be going on underneath: just like Birkenstocks remove any interest in what may be going on above.

• Haha 1

On 12/4/2019 at 2:16 PM, Videopark said:

Chef Jes is aboard for the roll out of new menus/chargers (starts today at tea time). 

Looking forward to the response.

Food has been very very good. We had a special order dinner in our friends’ PH last night. Best dinner we have ever had on Seabourn 

On 12/2/2019 at 4:39 PM, Emperor Norton said:

I’m thinking the “cheap” rates may also be adding to the odd. In the other hand I’ve n ver seen so many poor tattoos on pax on Seabourn before. 

There are over 200 first timers on board. I’ve never had that experience before. Also, must have a fantastic deal in Germany. A LOT of Germans aboard. 

1 hour ago, Emperor Norton said:

The visible crew tats are new too. At least the Germans haven’t given us a few drunken versions of their national anthem (unlike say the Belgians). 

The sun is out today and they’re setting up for a the pool party. 

Noticed that too, last two weeks on Odyssey (edit - crew tats). . Previously they were covered by plasters or bandages. 

Edited by galeforce9

On 12/5/2019 at 4:35 PM, Videopark said:

I read somewhere that you may not get a bottle of Champagne delivered to your suite only glasses. Seems some pax loaded their suitcase so full with full bottles that they could not pick it up. 

Can you order bottles to a suite?

We did not order a bottle of Champagne but it was in our suite upon arrival as well as a liter each of vodka and gin as ordered.

7 hours ago, Mapu said:

We did not order a bottle of Champagne but it was in our suite upon arrival as well as a liter each of vodka and gin as ordered.

yes that's the standard welcome bottle .. people were asking whether you can order a replacement bottle when you run out or not. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 10:03 PM, Emperor Norton said:

Sean Smit should be boarding tomorrow. Sadly so will a couple that special orders every meal every day. 

can confirm that Sean is on board.

internet awful, was hoping to do a live from thread but if speed doesn't improve that's not going to happen.

dinner in MDR last night- service slow and confused, food though was superb.

Emperor Norton, thanks for your thread. 

3 hours ago, Isklaar said:

internet awful, was hoping to do a live from thread but if speed doesn't improve that's not going to happen.

Not sure why but breakfast was very slow in the dining room yesterday morning. Hopefully the dining room service will improve.

1 hour ago, Mapu said:

Not sure why but breakfast was very slow in the dining room yesterday morning. Hopefully the dining room service will improve.

in my experience the breakfast service in MDR is always quite slow. I do like it for a very relaxed breakfast on sea days for example but on port days it's too slow! 

7 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Isklaar, you you recall, I struggled with the internet speed last May/June on Sojourn and it severely hampered my live from thread (which I enjoyed doing).  I found internet access best in the public areas, like the Observation Bar at tea time.  I would love to hear more details about your current experience---just for the fun of it. 

22 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Isklaar, you you recall, I struggled with the internet speed last May/June on Sojourn and it severely hampered my live from thread (which I enjoyed doing).  I found internet access best in the public areas, like the Observation Bar at tea time.  I would love to hear more details about your current experience---just for the fun of it. 

I do remember! I just had better signal outside Seabourn Square. I have some work to finish in the next few days so I must prioritise that for now but hopefully will be able to start a live from afterwards.

4 hours ago, Isklaar said:

I do remember! I just had better signal outside Seabourn Square. I have some work to finish in the next few days so I must prioritise that for now but hopefully will be able to start a live from afterwards.

I will look forward to it. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Isklaar said:

in my experience the breakfast service in MDR is always quite slow. I do like it for a very relaxed breakfast on sea days for example but on port days it's too slow! 

Our breakfast service the last morning was painfully slow. The hostess was doing triple  duty clearing and setting tables as well as seating guests. There were at least 10 servers but obviously the kitchen was slower than normal. We did have breakfast in the dining room one other morning and the pace was relaxing not nearly as slow.