Tips for Drinks with Drink Package

charlielinda

I know this has been discussed in the past but I was not able to find any of the treads. 

For it the first time we have the drink package as a perk (before the new $14 fee).  I know we paid for the perk with a higher cruise fare.  Do you tip a dollar or two for drinks you get at a bar?   What about for coffees and tea?   I have no issue with additional tipping but wonder what others do?  

Also do folks tip if they don’t have the package and getting free drinks if Elite during the 5-7 happy hour?  

Thanks!

We usually give a dollar a drink for our coffee but at the Martini bar we give more in the beginning of the cruise.  This makes sure that the bartenders know us and don't make us wait too long getting a drink.  

Pat

• Thanks 1

This has been discussed many times and you will get many different opinions.

As for me, as once mentioned, I used to tip an extra dollar every time. Now I just tip that dollar to bars that I frequent, and at the wine bar where I am most, I lay down a five at the beginning and continue on as needed. Gives me a good pour, and excellent service.

I ask at the beginning of the cruise if the bartenders have to share their tips, if they do I will wait to the end of the week to give an additional tip to my favourite bartenders.  That being said I will tip $1 a drink with the package .  Usually find a great bartender we spoil them they spoil us!

15 minutes ago, NBEASTCOASTER said:

No need to carry cash, they will print a receipt you add your tip and it is charged to your on-board account.  At the end of the cruise we do tip with cash to our favourite bartenders.

If the cost of the drink is <= package limit, do they print a receipt? I don't remember that from our last few cruises. I thought they only printed receipts if there was an additional charge. Maybe this changed in the past year?

Hmm, I’m trying to remember if other lines (eg, RCCL) print out receipts for all drinks on a package. I could see why they do this — for tracking purposes. But also maybe an effort to guilt you into tipping? Don’t really want to start that discussion though, lol. I can’t really remember from previous cruises where I’ve had a package. 

I guess when I've done the package in the past there was a gratuity added at purchase and I assume that got split amongst the staff based on how many drinks they served or something. But with the classic package as a perk, there’s no explicit gratuity paid and so I have no idea how the servers are getting compensated!

Edited by gordiej

1 hour ago, NBEASTCOASTER said:

No need to carry cash, they will print a receipt you add your tip and it is charged to your on-board account.  At the end of the cruise we do tip with cash to our favourite bartenders.

Unless we order a drink above the beverage package limit I don't remember getting a slip with our drinks (maybe alcohol haze?) so do you ask for a slip to add your tip when you order?

Last January on Equinox with the classic package, the only time we received a slip is when we went over the set limit. I do carry some cash on me, not a huge deal. Put some in our beach bag during the day and in my pants pocket at night.

13 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Unless we order a drink above the beverage package limit I don't remember getting a slip with our drinks (maybe alcohol haze?) so do you ask for a slip to add your tip when you order?

Yes that is my recollection too.  So I just tend to tip in cash the bartenders that we liked the last night of the cruise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes that is my recollection too.  So I just tend to tip in cash the bartenders that we liked the last night of the cruise.

We tend to do the same. 

There is always a bit of a culture clash on this topic so best not to over analyse what everyone decides to do.

• Haha 1

We tip a dollar a drink if it is a mixed drink or a waiter brings it to us.  Beer and pours from an open wine bottle we tip about every other round.   We also bring about 100 in ones and keep them in the safe and just carry what we need for the day.  We easily go through our ones on a 7 day cruise.  

Mary Ann

Just now, killsport said:

If you have a package (classic or premium), the mandatory gratuity is already included. As always you are free to tip additional amounts, and they are, of course, greatly appreciated.

Ok thanks for clearing that up.

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

My TA says I have the Classic package and have pre-paid gratuities.  So will I be charged the 18% gratuity for every drink on top of that?  And then I usually (not always) tip $1 extra.

Prepaid gratuities are primarily (solely?) for the cabin attendant and dining room servers. If you pay for drinks a la carte, yes I think they add the gratuity. But if you have a package, there’s nothing to add too unless you go over the $9/15 package limit, and then the 18% (or is it 20%?) is only on that excess. Hence the discussion here. Also, gratuity is charged on bottled wine purchases. 

Edited by gordiej

10 hours ago, gordiej said:

I guess when I've done the package in the past there was a gratuity added at purchase and I assume that got split amongst the staff based on how many drinks they served or something. But with the classic package as a perk, there’s no explicit gratuity paid and so I have no idea how the servers are getting compensated!

In my opinion, there is no difference between paying for the package along with the associated gratuities or receiving the perk as part of an increase base cost of your cruise. I have no way of knowing whether or not Celebrity provides the same share of the associated gratuity to their staff for both purchased and perk packages; but it they choose to share differently then that is between the company and their employees.

I provide the same additional tips to my frequent bartenders regardless of whether it is a purchase or a perk.