Tips for Drinks with Drink Package

charlielinda

14 hours ago, killsport said:

If the cost of the drink is <= package limit, do they print a receipt? I don't remember that from our last few cruises. I thought they only printed receipts if there was an additional charge. Maybe this changed in the past year?

It may have changed, on RCCL if you wanted it was no problem to get a receipt.  I am thinking with so many taking the drink package now, it would be a lot more economical and environmentally friendly not to print them.  So... perhaps I will need to get some cash for Celebrity!

Tipping is very much a cultural issue and I realize there are many diverse opinions. Coming from Canada it is a normal thing to do.

We always carry small bills with us while on the ship, and tip a few $$ per round.  Historically we would explore the ship for the first day or so and find a bar where we enjoyed the vibes and are comfortable and make it our regular hangout.  We will tip per round as occasionally the servers change locations in the evening as they cover off other bars. We have switched to sailing in suites so the situation is different; however, I continue to carry small bills as I sometimes have to stop off on my way from point A to point B for a drink...O k maybe I have stopped to have a chat with someone......

We never attend the Captain's Club Happy Hour, unless we are meeting some new "friends", again a few $$ per round.

I behave the same way when at home due to the cultural norms and how the service industry is paid here.

Will you be treated any differently if you do not tip..I have never seen any evidence to support this .

Cheers.

On 10/25/2019 at 12:12 AM, gordiej said:

So you carry cash around the ship??  Ugh!

I think not carrying any cash is the strange thing.  At the Elite/Elite+ lounge I notice about 75% of the people tipping the bartenders/servers for their drinks.  Can't do that without cash.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:39 AM, gordiej said:

Hmm, I’m trying to remember if other lines (eg, RCCL) print out receipts for all drinks on a package. I could see why they do this — for tracking purposes. 

Royal doesn't print receipts if you have the drink package.  I like not having a receipt and imagine it save a lot of paper.

15 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I think not carrying any cash is the strange thing.  At the Elite/Elite+ lounge I notice about 75% of the people tipping the bartenders/servers for their drinks.  Can't do that without cash.

As dollar bills are available in the States it is quite simple to carry a bit of cash. But in Europe, and UK, the smallest paper money is 5 pounds or 5 euros, and I do not think carrying a pile of coins about the ship is something many people want to do in a cashless system. If I sail from the U.S. I do have dollars, of course, and put some in my pocket or bag, but if I am not sailing from the States I do not have cash on me as I walk about the ship. 

Edited by laslomas

On 10/25/2019 at 11:45 PM, RickT said:

To each their own..... but I rarely tip for drinks but on the last day if a bartender has been really good I’ll slip them $10-20.  

This is pretty much what we did on our cruise last year! I don’t feel the need to tip with every drink to every server... I think it would really rack up and I don’t like to carry cash on board. Much prefer to tip the bar tenders we like at the end.

• Like 1