Independence Deck 2 or 3?

Has anyone stayed on deck 2 midship on the Independence? Is it true it is very loud due to the waves. I was thinking of moving to deck 3 but deck 4 has a lot of bars, so wouldn't it be just as loud? I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I've never been on the Freedom class ships. Thank you for your help!!

We had adult children staying on deck 2 on the Explorer and it is definitely noisier down there.  There was droning of the engines and more vibration.   During this cruise we had rough sees one day and they reported that the waves were hitting the windows.  They had video of it and it was solid water not just spray.  I assume deck 3 will be about the same.   

Edited by fred30

17 minutes ago, gcbranscome said:

Has anyone stayed on deck 2 midship on the Independence? Is it true it is very loud due to the waves. I was thinking of moving to deck 3 but deck 4 has a lot of bars, so wouldn't it be just as loud? I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I've never been on the Freedom class ships. Thank you for your help!!

Hi,

I stayed midship deck 2 on the Indy a couple of years ago, and liked it so much I booked the same cabin (pretty much) when I sailed on her again about 6 months later. I found it really quiet and the noise of the waves was definitely not an issue. This was before the refurb so not sure if anything has changed since but I would definitely have no hesitation in booking the same cabin again. 😊

We were just on in 3608, and wouldn’t hesitate to book this cabin again.   We did hear some noise as they moved chairs around on the deck to clean, early each morning.   

It wasn’t an issue for us, because we are usually up by 5 am, but if you like to sleep in, then this may wake you.

9 hours ago, gcbranscome said:

Thank you!

I have chosen the lowest deck on most of my cruises, because of the thrill of being so close to the waves.  (Can look out your porthole and see the ocean waves RIGHT THERE!  Reminds you that you're on a boat, not a hotel.)

More importantly, the mid-ship cabins on the lowest deck are the MOST stable part of the ship... thus an excellent choice if you are prone to seasickness, or don't want to be jostled all night long if waters are choppy.  Furthermore, those cabins are typically priced lower, and have more availability of adjoining rooms.  And, you are closest to the port debarkation exits... won't have to wait for an elevator w/ everyone else.

I have never heard ruckus from the employees on Deck 1.  They work long days.

The downside of staying in a low cabin is that you may be closer to the engines or anchor, depending on which end of the ship your cabin is.  Early on port mornings the anchor knocks & clangs about.  This wouldn't affect people who plan to be up early for port activities, but would affect those trying to sleep in.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:07 PM, h20skibum said:

We were just on in 3608, and wouldn’t hesitate to book this cabin again.   We did hear some noise as they moved chairs around on the deck to clean, early each morning.   

It wasn’t an issue for us, because we are usually up by 5 am, but if you like to sleep in, then this may wake you.

Thank you!

On 10/27/2019 at 10:52 AM, styxfire said:

I have chosen the lowest deck on most of my cruises, because of the thrill of being so close to the waves.  (Can look out your porthole and see the ocean waves RIGHT THERE!  Reminds you that you're on a boat, not a hotel.)

More importantly, the mid-ship cabins on the lowest deck are the MOST stable part of the ship... thus an excellent choice if you are prone to seasickness, or don't want to be jostled all night long if waters are choppy.  Furthermore, those cabins are typically priced lower, and have more availability of adjoining rooms.  And, you are closest to the port debarkation exits... won't have to wait for an elevator w/ everyone else.

I have never heard ruckus from the employees on Deck 1.  They work long days.

The downside of staying in a low cabin is that you may be closer to the engines or anchor, depending on which end of the ship your cabin is.  Early on port mornings the anchor knocks & clangs about.  This wouldn't affect people who plan to be up early for port activities, but would affect those trying to sleep in.

Thank you!