New England/Canada

djobe

We are looking into a cruise in the fall of next year to the New England and Canada area.  Looking for suggestions for best cruise, cruise line, recommended length etc. 

Thanks in advance for all information 

D Jobe 

Bucket list trip

Can you define "best" as you see it?

There are fancy, small ship options, that some folks would consider to be 'best'

There are those huge ships with waterslides and ice rinks and 5000 passengers others would consider to be 'best'

Most Canada/New england cruises are 7 day roundtrips out of NYC or Boston.  There are also 10 day, one-way trips from NYC or Boston (maybe) down the St. Lawrence Seaway into Canada, or the other way.

Tell us what's important to you, we can help identify some possibilities for you

We just got off the Caribbean Princess, a ten day trip from New York to Quebec.  They also do this itinerary in reverse. Great ports and Quebec is fabulous if you can take a longer cruise like this (I don’t think the 7 day cruises can get as far as Quebec.  

On 10/27/2019 at 5:47 AM, sunsetbeachgal said:

We just got off the Caribbean Princess, a ten day trip from New York to Quebec.  They also do this itinerary in reverse. Great ports and Quebec is fabulous if you can take a longer cruise like this (I don’t think the 7 day cruises can get as far as Quebec.  

We can do 10+ days. I'm looking for suggestions from others who may have done this destination. My husband really wants to do the fall for the colors.  We have  sailed Princess to Alaska and the Caribbean and Carnival.   We also did a Hawaii  cruise many years ago with a company no longer sailing.

Edited by djobe

On 10/25/2019 at 4:08 PM, djobe said:

We are looking into a cruise in the fall of next year to the New England and Canada area.  Looking for suggestions for best cruise, cruise line, recommended length etc. 

Thanks in advance for all information 

D Jobe 

Bucket list trip

We are just researching and looking for suggestions from previous  cruisers to this destination.  We are not looking for luxury just nice.  We have sailed Princess a couple of times and Carnival once. We are open to other lines as well.  Just curious about others experience.  Pros and cons.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, djobe said:

We are just researching and looking for suggestions from previous  cruisers to this destination.  We are not looking for luxury just nice.  We have sailed Princess a couple of times and Carnival once. We are open to other lines as well.  Just curious about others experience.  Pros and cons.

Thanks

•  

On 10/25/2019 at 5:28 PM, Nitemare said:

Can you define "best" as you see it?

There are fancy, small ship options, that some folks would consider to be 'best'

There are those huge ships with waterslides and ice rinks and 5000 passengers others would consider to be 'best'

Most Canada/New england cruises are 7 day roundtrips out of NYC or Boston.  There are also 10 day, one-way trips from NYC or Boston (maybe) down the St. Lawrence Seaway into Canada, or the other way.

Tell us what's important to you, we can help identify some possibilities for you

I meant to reply here to you but I hit wrong portion. I reply is below. 

Thanks

Some lines are able to go to Montreal instead of just Quebec if they have a smaller ship. We just got off after leaving 16 oct and were too late for the best color (although it’s not totally predictable a year in advance). Possibly ending mid October would get more color than starting mid October. Still saw yellows and some reds but in some higher locations trees were completely bare. 

2 hours ago, dszrew said:

Some lines are able to go to Montreal instead of just Quebec if they have a smaller ship. We just got off after leaving 16 oct and were too late for the best color (although it’s not totally predictable a year in advance). Possibly ending mid October would get more color than starting mid October. Still saw yellows and some reds but in some higher locations trees were completely bare. 

Looking at a 12 night Celebrity Summit r/t Boston. When you are talking about the lack of color, are you referring to all ports or just those in Canada? When I look at foliage reports, I am getting mixed information. Trying to decide between September 11th and 23rd.

djobe - I think HAL Amsterdam is sailing Canada next fall (just not a round trip - so we are looking elsewhere.) However, we sailed her 14 days in Alaska two years ago and it was a marvelous cruise. Good food, amazing service, quiet, and smaller than many other ships sailing these days. She doesn't have lots of bells and whistles, but she is a grand lady and if she were sailing a 7 or 12 day round trip Boston, I would already be booked!

On 10/30/2019 at 12:07 PM, Alwayshome said:

When you are talking about the lack of color, are you referring to all ports or just those in Canada? When I look at foliage reports, I am getting mixed information. Trying to decide between September 11th and 23rd.

I'd choose later, even first week of October.

In US cities, the "color" was inconsistent--often still green with some yellow leaves. More color as you go farther north.

Inside the cities seemed to be yellow trees, but out in the country was different. We were the 2-4 week in October, and some places like Maine and Halifax has bare trees at higher elevations, or lots of yellow color but most of the red leaves had already fallen. 

Also, we somehow thought we'd see a lot from the ship, but really we'd arrive before sunup and leave about sundown so we could never really sit there and watch the color leaves go by...

• 2 weeks later...

We cruise with RCI and have done the 9 nighter roundtrip out of Cape Liberty (New Jersey) and just last month did the 13 nighter out of Ouebec City to Fort Lauderdale...an amazing itinerary...We've done both cruises in early October..just an amazing time of year to do the Canada New England.

53 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We cruise with RCI and have done the 9 nighter roundtrip out of Cape Liberty (New Jersey) and just last month did the 13 nighter out of Ouebec City to Fort Lauderdale...an amazing itinerary...We've done both cruises in early October..just an amazing time of year to do the Canada New England.

Thanks

• Like 1