Have you ever lost your cruise card while in port?

DaffyddeDoake

12 hours ago, clo said:

I just checked and see the legal drinking age is 18 not 21.  Too bad dad wasn't around to monitor it.  Sounds like it could have been worse.

On many Caribbean islands, the drinking age is based on whether the person is tall enough to put the money on the bar.

And outside the US, most places consider the person drinking to be the judge of how much to drink, not the bartender.

8 hours ago, clo said:

Doesn't mean you can't put some 'stuff' in there 🙂

Well, to be honest, at 5'8" and 275 lbs., there's not much room for extra "stuff" other than what I always bring along. Sometimes folks mistake the Speedo for a thong, but in the interest of fashion consciousness I painfully explain the difference to them.

I don't like the lanyards since it gets tangled up with my shot glass necklace, and they also tend to pinch your chest hairs.  When you are wearing a cotton A-shirt (only the hoi poloi call them "wife beaters") the lanyards can be a pain.

The really cool thing about the tube socks is that I can color-coordinate my Speedo with the bands. They come in lots of fun colors too!  Or did, you can't really find the knee-high tube socks any more. I'm glad I stocked up on them back when they were in vogue. They kinda' faded out along with Richard Simmons.... 

1 hour ago, DryCreek said:

Well, to be honest, at 5'8" and 275 lbs., there's not much room for extra "stuff" other than what I always bring along. Sometimes folks mistake the Speedo for a thong, but in the interest of fashion consciousness I painfully explain the difference to them.

I don't like the lanyards since it gets tangled up with my shot glass necklace, and they also tend to pinch your chest hairs.  When you are wearing a cotton A-shirt (only the hoi poloi call them "wife beaters") the lanyards can be a pain.

The really cool thing about the tube socks is that I can color-coordinate my Speedo with the bands. They come in lots of fun colors too!  Or did, you can't really find the knee-high tube socks any more. I'm glad I stocked up on them back when they were in vogue. They kinda' faded out along with Richard Simmons.... 

275 lbs. weight with just 5’8” height to carry it sure seems to mean one hell of a large abdomen.  That poor Speedo must be stressed to the max —- please wear something over it.

20 minutes ago, clo said:

You are really funny 🙂

Actually, just practical. Do you realize how little packing is involved with five Speedos, matching tube socks, and a package of Hanes A-shirts? I am good-to-go with just a Walmart bag. What's annoying is my wife insists on me dressing up for the MDR, so a pair of Birdwell Beach Baggies, a Hawaiian shirt and my dress Crocs (with a pair of "dress" dark crew socks) fill up another whole bag. While others are lugging around big suitcases and steamer trunks, I am travellin' light and fast! The only consistent challenge is smuggling my Rum Runners aboard. I just wrap em' up in my Speedos and nobody tends to want to rifle through them.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

275 lbs. weight with just 5’8” height to carry it sure seems to mean one hell of a large abdomen.  That poor Speedo must be stressed to the max —- please wear something over it.

Suspenders would be just too tacky, don't you think?

Anyway, I kinda overestimated my weight. I checked this morning and I am down to a more sporty 238 lbs! I have been working on my "moves". I am going to win the Hairy Chest contest this time. I want that ship on a stick for my den!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2019 at 9:21 AM, DryCreek said:

Suspenders would be just too tacky, don't you think?

Anyway, I kinda overestimated my weight. I checked this morning and I am down to a more sporty 238 lbs! I have been working on my "moves". I am going to win the Hairy Chest contest this time. I want that ship on a stick for my den!

Great job on the weight loss.  Don't have your confidence, but way to go on the packing planning. 

Had started this thread since when I was googling what to do there had been nothing that said just go to your ship.  Not worth backtracking 8 miles to see if by chance that the card that resembles a credit card might still be laying around...thank you to everyone who shared insight.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:54 AM, clo said:

That has to be the biggest oxymoron in all of history!!!!!!!!!!!  And that's BEFORE the "dress dark crew socks."  LOL.

Crocs have come a long way since the original plastic ones! 😉4D3F69F8-798D-4ABB-9B1D-855190718C27.thumb.png.c31e6b0805bb75b79283e92ea687d2f2.png

• Like 1

"Crocs have come a long way since the original plastic ones! 😉"

Ewww, those are downright ugly!

Look at how heavy they must be.  They'd rip the seam wide open on a Walmart sack - and I'm not about to start doubling them up just for fancy shoes.....

Why bring twice as much "suitcase" as needed?

Edited by DryCreek
punk-too-ayshun airer.
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, DryCreek said:

Look at how heavy they must be.  They'd rip the seam wide open on a Walmart sack -

Well, these fancy Crocs are for people who use sturdier Target bags as luggage instead of flimsy Wal-Mart bags. 

Joking aside, I tried those “fancy” Crocs on and they are SUPER comfortable. I didn’t even realize they were Crocs until I looked at the box. 

2 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Well, these fancy Crocs are for people who use sturdier Target bags as luggage instead of flimsy Wal-Mart bags. 

Joking aside, I tried those “fancy” Crocs on and they are SUPER comfortable. I didn’t even realize they were Crocs until I looked at the box. 

Dang! Who can afford to shop at Target and still go on a cruise?

They do look nice, but I would prefer my boots for dresswear.  For more casual days I still ike my Ariat hiking boots.  All leather and excellent arch support.  I have three pairs; one for working around the ranch, one pair to wear to my "day job", and one pair for going to town to do our errands (groceries, feed, car/tractor parts, etc.).  They go on sale twice a year at Tractor Supply, so I get a new pair annually and rotate the older ones down one notch.

• Like 2

Just now, clo said:

Wow!  I had no idea.  But IMO those aren't dress shoes 🙂  

True, but when I go on a cruise, in an effort to limit the number of shoes that I bring along, I bring a pair of pseudo dressy shoes that I can use with jeans as well as with slacks and jacket & tie. Something like the ones on the bottom of that pic I posted. Upon close inspection they are pretty casual, but hopefully no one is looking THAT closely. 😉

51 minutes ago, Tapi said:

True, but when I go on a cruise, in an effort to limit the number of shoes that I bring along, I bring a pair of pseudo dressy shoes that I can use with jeans as well as with slacks and jacket & tie. Something like the ones on the bottom of that pic I posted. Upon close inspection they are pretty casual, but hopefully no one is looking THAT closely. 😉

Bob had tasseled Weejuns that can run the gamut.

Image result for tassel weejuns"

• Like 1

I prefer the look of the crocs above.  The Weejuns in that picture remind just look wrong to me (probably because of the bare feet).  They are too shiny to be a casual shoe, might look ok as a dress shoe but the bare foot is distracting.

The crocs remind me of your Rothy's, Clo - a very nice looking casual shoe that fits "country club casual" but not a true dress shoe to be worn with something formal.  So totally fine for most cruises 🙂 

On 10/25/2019 at 9:03 PM, hallux said:

I'll refrain from answering this question until November 4...

I can now happily say that over 4 cruises I have yet to lose my cruise card.  For this cruise I got a slim wallet, slipped the card into that with my ID and credit cards when on shore.

On 10/26/2019 at 9:54 AM, DryCreek said:

How come no one has mentioned the ultimate security device?  The much derided lanyard.

Or, you could do like I do, keep the card in your left sock.  Since I'm wearing sandals, it's easy to get to.....

Hole punch isn't always possible, the RFID cards have to be carefully punched, if at all possible, to avoid hitting the chip and/or antenna wire.  Not all ships use this system, but most or all of the new ships do.

I “lost” my S&S card sometime around taking the picture below; it had been around my neck on a red lanyard & the force of the waterfall knocked it off.  Discovered it missing a few minutes later.  Backtracked to the only place I figured it would be.  Felt around the base of the waterfall-nope.  Swan a little further & felt it against my leg in 6 feet of water.  Sigh of relief.

2CD1BDE1-1C1E-4DAA-A3F8-44B787165AD0.jpeg

On 10/26/2019 at 8:45 AM, DaffyddeDoake said:

That dreaded moment of panic sets in as you are walking back to your ship and you start checking your pockets for your cruise card to get past security and back onto your ship.  It is not in the pocket you last remembered putting it in.  Nor any of your other pockets.  You've checked each 4 times before your spouse turns back to you and sees the panic on your face.  After she goes through your pockets...yet again, and gives you a piece of mind about having the map of the town in the same pocket as your cruise card...what are your options? (Side note - she had been very happy for the map when we were looking for a bathroom for her)

Turns out your best course of action is to go up to security and admit to loosing your card.  It does happen regularly.  I was the 5th person that day.  They walk you over to security, check your other ID, ask name and cabin #. Since they took your picture at the beginning, they use that to verify you.  After that, go to passenger service to get a new card. 

Yep, had it in Ketchikan, although I realised I had lost it before I even left the store. Realised it must have dropped out when paying for a Knick knack and a tea towel. went back straight away but couldn't find it. Went back to the ship and went through the process. I have it in a lanyard pouch now, even though I put the lanyard in my bag when ashore.