Miso Sea Bass on the Mariner in Alaska

I have shared this before, but thought it may be helpful to repost. We love miso glazed fish and make it fairly often at home. It is very easy to make.  While Regent typically uses sea bass, this works with any white, flaky fish...cod, grouper, mahi mahi, etc.  This recipe is for four people, so adjust accordingly.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup mirin (sweetened rice wine)

1/4 cup sake

3 tablespoons of white miso paste (if you cannot find locally, it is available on Amazon...Hirari Miso organic white miso is considered the best)

1 tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoons dark toasted seasame oil

4 fish filets

1. Combine the mirin and sake is a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.  Boil 20 seconds, turn heat to low and stir in sugar and miso paste.  Whisk until all the ingredients are mixed and sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat and add sesame oil.  All to cool.

2. Pat the fish dry and brush/rub both sides of the filets with the marinade.  Place the filets in a baking dish with the marinade and turn over a few times.  Cover and marinate for at least 2 hours (can be marinated overnight for deeper flavor).

3. Preheat the broiler (or grill).  Line a sheet pan with foil and oil it.  Tap the filet to remove excess marinade.  Place the fish skin side up (if the filet has skin) on the baking sheet or skin side down if grilling.

4. Broil or grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until the surface browns.  If the fish filet is especially thick, turn off the broiler, move the fish to a lower rack, and allow it to finish cooking until the fish is opaque and flaky.

Enjoy!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2019 at 11:22 AM, mikenbob said:

Enjoy

Mikenbob,

Many many thanks for posting this.  DW and I read CC together, and when she read your post she indicated that she is going to give it a go!  So I won't have to wait until our next Regent cruise to savor this  wonderful dish!

I will think of you when enjoying it!😊👍🍽️

Bob

Mikenbob, I'll be trying this as well. On our last cruise on Voyager,  MGSB was on the menu one night and I ordered it. It tasted great, but it didn't agree with me, and I was glad we had our one day at sea the next day. We have used all of those ingredients before, but not in that combination. Living in Florida, I'm thinking grouper instead of Sea Bass. Thank you.

• 6 months later...
On 10/25/2019 at 7:50 PM, Low Country Sandlapper said:

I and my family are cruising in Alaska on the Mariner next June.  I want to make sure that I don’t book a specialty restaurant on the night that the Mariner is serving the Miso Sea Bass.  Any idea when that might be?

Thank you!

We live in the Bluffton /Hilton Head area

Mikenbob ~ I've learned an enormous amount from reading CC...but your recipe for  MGSB is an especially treasured tidbit!!  Especially these days, as I've even started cooking again.  Now I just have to hunt and gather the ingredients.  Hopefully this will tide me over until I can be back at Pacific Rim....my favorite restaurant at sea!!

• Like 1

Really happy to report I made MGSB last night using Mikenbob's recipe......and....drum roll please.....it was awesome!!!

Only thing missing was the phenomenal atmosphere and service of Pacific Rim.  Oh yeah, also I couldn't figure out how to obtain that perfect green banana leaf with the tiny close pin holding it all together.  But it was sensational.  Thank you for sharing!!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bebop bonnie said:

Really happy to report I made MGSB last night using Mikenbob's recipe......and....drum roll please.....it was awesome!!!

Only thing missing was the phenomenal atmosphere and service of Pacific Rim.  Oh yeah, also I couldn't figure out how to obtain that perfect green banana leaf with the tiny close pin holding it all together.  But it was sensational.  Thank you for sharing!!

We hope to get the final ingredients and will make it this week!  Thank you for letting us know how great it turned out!

Another option on the ship is to make a special request for the dish. We’ve done that and it worked out great. As I recall the sea bass special order needed to be made at least 2 days in advance. 

2 hours ago, jben999 said:

Another option on the ship is to make a special request for the dish. We’ve done that and it worked out great. As I recall the sea bass special order needed to be made at least 2 days in advance. 

We did make the special request for MGSB in Compass Rose on our last cruise in December...we missed it on the regular night because we were dining in Prime 7. They were so kind and  and everyone around us were watching as this very special dish was brought to our table. Another fond memory to share. 
sheila