Brittania refit

Narrow boat girl

4 minutes ago, Precioussmeagol said:

I’m guessing it’s A. If you look through the balcony glass you can kinda make out the canopy over B deck 

Doh! Of course it’s A deck, I can now see the canopy below .... it’s been a long day!

I found it on a thread  on a facebook page - P and O Cabins.  Some positive and negative reviews!!!  Seems as though the corner aft suites are much less affected  than the central aft suites.  It was nice to hear from people who have actually been in those cabins. I for one feel a lot happier now. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Suebiker said:

I found it on a thread  on a facebook page - P and O Cabins.  Some positive and negative reviews!!!  Seems as though the corner aft suites are much less affected  than the central aft suites.  It was nice to hear from people who have actually been in those cabins. I for one feel a lot happier now. 

Thanks I’ll see if I can find the thread. We are in the central suites next year and the corner ones the year after and I must say even before your comment I much more concerned about the central suites. Nice to hear that people have positive things to say and of course everything looks better when the sun is shining!! 

• Like 1

Here is the review that went with the photo

On the recent transatlantic I had suite A727 which has the large wrap around balcony. I can confirm that the new canopy in no way effected the sun on our balcony. On the way out to the Caribbean the sun was not on our side of the ship anyhow so it made no difference. After Madeira the sun then moved more directly aft and several days it was so hot and glaring that you couldn’t sit outside for more than 10 minutes at a time. We also spoke to the people in the normal balcony adjacent. Whilst the cover does make these balconies more enclosed than the suites they also had no complaint. We had no privacy issues and never once required a soot clean. In our opinion this was the nicest cabin we’ve ever had and I would not hesitate to book this cabin again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Suebiker said:

Here is the review that went with the photo

On the recent transatlantic I had suite A727 which has the large wrap around balcony. I can confirm that the new canopy in no way effected the sun on our balcony. On the way out to the Caribbean the sun was not on our side of the ship anyhow so it made no difference. After Madeira the sun then moved more directly aft and several days it was so hot and glaring that you couldn’t sit outside for more than 10 minutes at a time. We also spoke to the people in the normal balcony adjacent. Whilst the cover does make these balconies more enclosed than the suites they also had no complaint. We had no privacy issues and never once required a soot clean. In our opinion this was the nicest cabin we’ve ever had and I would not hesitate to book this cabin again.

Thank you for posting this, as it’s nice to hear from someone who has actually stayed in one of the suites.

Maybe it’s one less thing for me to worry about now!

• Like 2

Glad you spoke to someone in the "normal balconies adjacent" . It makes me feel better too. I have seen a lot of photos of the end suites but not one of the in-between balconies in the sunshine. I will be in A725

• Like 1

I have finally had an email back from P&O about my complaint about the canopies. We also are to get £50 each obc. I wanted the sun but maybe it will be OK. There isn't a lot we can do about it anyway. There aren't any other suitable cabins available now which we would want. They had offered to swap us to a side balcony but I declined because of the size. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caber said:

I have finally had an email back from P&O about my complaint about the canopies. We also are to get £50 each obc. I wanted the sun but maybe it will be OK. There isn't a lot we can do about it anyway. There aren't any other suitable cabins available now which we would want. They had offered to swap us to a side balcony but I declined because of the size. 

I think it’s nice that they’ve at least acknowledged that it’s potentially an issue for you. We got told it’s a positive and shouldn’t be complaining 🙄

• Thanks 1

Well, after returning last weekend from our 22 night TA, I have been reading from afar the comments about the new canopies. I feel that, apart from the mini cruise after the refit there are only a handful of us so far that are able to submit a subjective opinion. We were in B724 Ellora suite( a first for us) having sailed on Britannia 6 times previously. We have also stayed in A722 which is directly above B724. I posted a photo on Facebook (P&O Cabins) as we departed Southampton and was surprised at some of the negative and rude comments in return, even to suggest it was not even Britannia I was on and was speaking from my proverbial. I there decided to keep my opinions to myself even though my intention was to help others.

Well here goes. We were not told of the installation of the canopies, but we were aware of them before we boarded from various forums. We were surprised at the size of the canopy but could immediately see some positives. Leaving Southampton for the Caribbean we knew we could face any number of weather patterns and thought that this would be a good test. On the first sea day we were able to sit out on the balcony in the morning and have an early cup of tea, even though the weather was poor.By day two we were using the loungers to lay and read in just T shirt and shorts. We did experience a few small smuts of soot when the foot was hard to the floor but these were immediately sorted by our cabin steward. Being a TA we were only subjected to early morning sun but it did manage to peep through to the cabin early am. 

The canopy therefore does offer you protection from the soot and the elements but heavy rain will still find its way in a little. There was also a slight smell of exhaust fumes on a couple of occasions when the wind was in the wrong direction. We held a couple of deck parties and were sheltered enough to stay outside. A big advantage is that you are afforded more privacy from A deck above and the overlookers and smokers from the Sunset bar. Once in the Caribbean the weather was obviously hotter and there was a noticeable lack of breeze but no more than we have experienced on a standard balcony. Therefore there are pros and cons 

I know the changes will not suit everyone but I think the advantages are greater than the disadvantages and will say that you need to experience them before you make your mind up.

We have incidentally booked the same cabin for the TA next year and I ain't changing it(unless A726 becomes available)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sueandphil said:

Well, after returning last weekend from our 22 night TA, I have been reading from afar the comments about the new canopies. I feel that, apart from the mini cruise after the refit there are only a handful of us so far that are able to submit a subjective opinion. We were in B724 Ellora suite( a first for us) having sailed on Britannia 6 times previously. We have also stayed in A722 which is directly above B724. I posted a photo on Facebook (P&O Cabins) as we departed Southampton and was surprised at some of the negative and rude comments in return, even to suggest it was not even Britannia I was on and was speaking from my proverbial. I there decided to keep my opinions to myself even though my intention was to help others.

Well here goes. We were not told of the installation of the canopies, but we were aware of them before we boarded from various forums. We were surprised at the size of the canopy but could immediately see some positives. Leaving Southampton for the Caribbean we knew we could face any number of weather patterns and thought that this would be a good test. On the first sea day we were able to sit out on the balcony in the morning and have an early cup of tea, even though the weather was poor.By day two we were using the loungers to lay and read in just T shirt and shorts. We did experience a few small smuts of soot when the foot was hard to the floor but these were immediately sorted by our cabin steward. Being a TA we were only subjected to early morning sun but it did manage to peep through to the cabin early am. 

The canopy therefore does offer you protection from the soot and the elements but heavy rain will still find its way in a little. There was also a slight smell of exhaust fumes on a couple of occasions when the wind was in the wrong direction. We held a couple of deck parties and were sheltered enough to stay outside. A big advantage is that you are afforded more privacy from A deck above and the overlookers and smokers from the Sunset bar. Once in the Caribbean the weather was obviously hotter and there was a noticeable lack of breeze but no more than we have experienced on a standard balcony. Therefore there are pros and cons 

I know the changes will not suit everyone but I think the advantages are greater than the disadvantages and will say that you need to experience them before you make your mind up.

We have incidentally booked the same cabin for the TA next year and I ain't changing it(unless A726 becomes available)

Thank you so very much for this. There is a real short supply of people posting info that have actually been in these cabins since the changes. So it’s nice to hear a first hand account. We are in B724 next year and A727 the year after, and it is B724 that I am most concerned about so it’s very nice to hear a balanced opinion. Can I ask, if you are a sunbather that is, how did the canopy affect the direct sun onto your balcony? I appreciate ships positioning and direction are big factors but would you have been able to sunbathe on the balcony with the canopy in place? 
Thank you again for all the info, it’s a great help 

3 minutes ago, Precioussmeagol said:

Thank you so very much for this. There is a real short supply of people posting info that have actually been in these cabins since the changes. So it’s nice to hear a first hand account. We are in B724 next year and A727 the year after, and it is B724 that I am most concerned about so it’s very nice to hear a balanced opinion. Can I ask, if you are a sunbather that is, how did the canopy affect the direct sun onto your balcony? I appreciate ships positioning and direction are big factors but would you have been able to sunbathe on the balcony with the canopy in place? 
Thank you again for all the info, it’s a great help 

No problem, We loved B724 and as you see we have booked again. I will say that there were times when the sun was absent when it was high in the sky. This to us was not a big problem as it is at its hottest then. We found plenty of opportunity to lay out, so much so that we only went to the open decks twice to lay out and one of those was the last day while we were awaiting transportation to the airport. We are now at an age when we are not as tolerant with the sun but still managed to gain a tan which I am managing to just hold on to

• Like 1

Fabulous information thank you. I love the sun more than I probably should and so that was my biggest concern and there were people on Facebook describing these particular balconies as greenhouses and conservatories which sounded like a nightmare. 
thanks again for taking the time to post this as I’m sure it will be very informative for many other people as it has been for me 

39 minutes ago, sueandphil said:

Hello,

many thanks for taking the time to post your review.

we are staying in B726 in Sept 2021.  It’s good to hear positive reviews of the canopies.

5 minutes ago, Precioussmeagol said:

Fabulous information thank you. I love the sun more than I probably should and so that was my biggest concern and there were people on Facebook describing these particular balconies as greenhouses and conservatories which sounded like a nightmare. 
thanks again for taking the time to post this as I’m sure it will be very informative for many other people as it has been for me 

Ditto! Maybe it’s not as bad as we first thought!

3 minutes ago, Precioussmeagol said:

Funnily enough,I do work in Greenhouses from time to time and can assure you they get a darn site hotter than it ever did on our balcony

3 hours ago, sueandphil said:

I am so glad you posted this. The fact that you would book the cabin again speaks volumes.  I am now looking forward to my cruise.  My husband kept telling me to stop stressing as he thought there would be more positives than negatives to the new canopies and this review and another one  has confirmed this. I can now relax and chill.  Thank you so much for reassuring me.