New to NCL-lots of questions!

Going on a 4 night cruise on Norwegian Sky over the 4th of July 2020!

1. Is there a formal night/captains dinner? Other theme nights? How will I know about these ahead of time?

2. We got unlimited drinks through a booking special-does anyone know it that includes Starbucks 

3. How do you "pay" for drinks? I think someone said you don't have to use your key card...how do they know its you? I've only been on carnival and you have to sign every receipt...ugh.

4. Are there straws? Paper straws? Do people typically bring their own? 

5. We booked with a flight special where flights are included....what is the earliest flight people have gotten back on departure day? I have to work the next day and would prefer getting in as early as possible....any luck with that? Can I request early departure? 

6. On Carnival you can bring on 1 bottle of wine/champagne per person...are you able to do that on NCL? 

7. Italian or Steakhouse better? 

Can you purchase bottled water for your cabin ahead of time? I'm sure i have a lot of other questions but that's all for now.

11 minutes ago, beachloverandfoodie said:

1. Is there a formal night/captains dinner? Other theme nights? How will I know about these ahead of time?

2. We got unlimited drinks through a booking special-does anyone know it that includes Starbucks 

3. How do you "pay" for drinks? I think someone said you don't have to use your key card...how do they know its you? I've only been on carnival and you have to sign every receipt...ugh.

5. We booked with a flight special where flights are included....what is the earliest flight people have gotten back on departure day? I have to work the next day and would prefer getting in as early as possible....any luck with that? Can I request early departure? 

6. On Carnival you can bring on 1 bottle of wine/champagne per person...are you able to do that on NCL? 

Can you purchase bottled water for your cabin ahead of time? I'm sure i have a lot of other questions but that's all for now.

NCL dress like you want , only 2 restaurants require long pants 

Starbucks isn’t included 

They take your card, don’t sign receipts though

Take your own straws if you drink frozen cocktails 

Flights don’t know 

Not sure on wine with the drink package you really don’t need to

We like the Steakhouse but Italian is very good also

(1) There are NO Formal nights on any Norwegian ship.  Depending on the length of your cruise, they may not offer a "Dining With An Officer".  Does not necessarily mean dinner with the Captain.  Some Captains will host and others will not.

(2) Starbucks is not included.

(3) Your key card will have a sticker on it saying that you have a beverage package.

(4) Paper straws

(5) Do your flight arrangements include a airport transfer from Norwegian?  Transfers are scheduled by the departure time of your flight.   All passengers should clear the ship by 10:00 A.M.

(6) Yes your can bring wine or champagne BUT there is a corkage fee for each bottle.

(7) This would be your personal preference.-- for me Cagney's.

(8) You can pre-purchase water but it NOW come in cardboard cartons.  I drink water all the time free-- the water on board ship is better than my water at home.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Unlimited amount of wine to bring on, each 750 ml bottle will incur  $15 corkage fee, no matter where you drink it. 

The cool thing about NCL is they will store your bottle if not finished., be given a chit and you can go to any bar or restaurant and they will retrieve it for you. 

1 hour ago, beachloverandfoodie said:

No formal nights. NCL embraces Freestyle dining and Dress up or Not. On shorts are allowed in all dining rooms for all meals. 

No. it is not included. You would have to upgrade to the Premium Plus drink package. 

Does NOT include: Wine and Spirit Experiences, tastings or Flights, Starbucks, Ice Bars, room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated super premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, Lavazza coffee beverages, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines. 

They swipe your card. No receipts. 

Paper straws for frozen drinks. The vast majority of people use what the cruise ship provides for free. A few obsessive people bring their on. 

Sometimes early. Sometimes an evening flight. No "normal". 

You can bring as much wine as you want. But you need to pay $15 per 750ml bottle. It must be handcarried onboard. You get all the free wine as you can drink onboard.

Depends if you like italian or steak better. 

Yes. You can go online to your MyNCL account and pre-by water 

Dining reservations open 120 days prior to your departure. It is best to make your reservations as close to 120 days out as possible to ensure you get the days and times you want. 

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Dining reservations open 120 days prior to your departure. It is best to make your reservations as close to 120 days out as possible to ensure you get the days and times you want. 

So true if you desire a specific time. But NCL only books a certain % (30-35) pre-cruise. 

From my experience usually the Captain photo night is accompanied by a "Norwegian's Night Out" theme where you can dress up if you'd like.  You'll see some people in formal wear and others stay casual.  I own a couple tuxedos.  So I usually bring one.  Overkill?  Maybe, but I'm usually not the only one.

All of the cruises I've been on have had a "Glow Party" (formerly the White Hot Party) where you can dress in white or neon colors and dance the night away with the cruise director staff and some of the production cast dancers.

They may also have a 70/80's Party as well if you'd like to dress up for that.

Edited by Motegi

We were pleasantly surprised by the food at La Cucina. Coming from NY with large Italian families, we went in with the expectation of it being slightly better than Olive Garden. It turned out to be one of our favorite specialty restaurants, and we keep going back. The gnocchi is to die for. I keep wanting to get it as a full size meal, and always end up forgetting. Maybe in January I'll finally remember....

Cagneys is good, but it's steak. Nothing too special. The cheesy polenta side is great, the steak is a steak. If you enjoy wine, I would personally opt for La Cucina and Le Bistro. You can always get your steak fix at Le Bistro and they have some of the better wines available to wash it down with.

The biggest thing we learned after our first NCL trip was that even though there are 2 main dining rooms included in your price, the only difference between them is that one requires men to wear pants and the other allows shorts. The menu itself is identical every single night. Le Bistro is the other restaurant that requires pants, everything else is laid back and casual - or you could dress up every night if you choose, it simply isn't required.

When we were on the Pride of America in July with my sister, she got dressed up fancy every night, while I was in shorts and a t-shirt. She wanted to be fancy since she was vacationing without the kids and enjoying herself, I wanted to be comfy. That's what we love about NCL, to each their own.

With you being new to NCL, I would highly recommend you spend some time reading the NCL web site's FAQ section along with the Terms and Conditions of the promos you have so you understand exactly what you get.

There is a ton of very useful information there.

• Like 1

I'm following.  DH and I just booked our first NCL cruise for 2020.  We are Platinum Disney Cruisers, this will be our first cruise outside of Disney and I am an little overwhelmed, but very excited.  I have a full page typed of questions that I have, and and using the FAQ and these boards to try and get as many answers as I can.

We will be on the Breakaway - Do I have to purchase an internet package to use the app or is the wifi for the app free?    Disney gives you free wifi access but it only works for the app, if you want anything else you pay.    I saw information the texting and calling via the app were at a charge, but it doesn't say anything about a charge or no-charge to use the app to see the daily activities.

TY

5 minutes ago, Bonnie1222 said:

<Snip>

We will be on the Breakaway - Do I have to purchase an internet package to use the app or is the wifi for the app free?    Disney gives you free wifi access but it only works for the app, if you want anything else you pay.    I saw information the texting and calling via the app were at a charge, but it doesn't say anything about a charge or no-charge to use the app to see the daily activities.

TY

The wifi is free for the app.  Anything else you have to pay for, but most promos are now including 250 minutes free.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KarlChilders said:

The wifi is free for the app.  Anything else you have to pay for, but most promos are now including 250 minutes free.

Thank you, that is good news!  We have zero promos for this cruise, we book a sailaway inside. 

We had no intentions of cruising because we already have 2 upcoming with Disney over the next year.  But the price was too good to pass up, and we have been wanting to try NCL because no matter how much we love Disney, the cost is stopping us from cruising as much as we want.  This was our way of "break(ing)away"  from the norm and giving NCL a try and still staying without breaking our budget. 

• Like 2

On 10/26/2019 at 9:24 AM, beachloverandfoodie said:

ok, some quick answers but most have probably already been answered: Yes you use your key card for drinks

I think the steak house is better than Italian

You can purchase water on board or prior to sailing

Starbucks not included unless they change before your sailing

can bring on as much wine as you like but you have to pay a $15 corkage fee whether you drink it on the balcony, in your cabin or at the table

No formal night period, especially on a short cruise. 

On 10/26/2019 at 9:24 AM, beachloverandfoodie said:

Bring as much wine as you want onboard. You will have to pay a $15 per bottle corkage fee but can enjoy the wine anywhere on the ship including your cabin, balcony, restaurants, bars, specialty dining venues etc.

On 11/1/2019 at 2:28 PM, jdvmd said:

Bring as much wine as you want onboard. You will have to pay a $15 per bottle corkage fee but can enjoy the wine anywhere on the ship including your cabin, balcony, restaurants, bars, specialty dining venues etc.

Is it a corkage fee, or just a fee they are charging you to deter you from carrying it on and calling it a corkage?  (so you drink at the bars instead)

What if you bring a bottle with a screw top, will they still charge you? 

On Disney my friend packed a small travel cork screw in her checked bag, no need to pay the fee. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bonnie1222 said:

Is it a corkage fee, or just a fee they are charging you to deter you from carrying it on and calling it a corkage?  (so you drink at the bars instead)

What if you bring a bottle with a screw top, will they still charge you? 

On Disney my friend packed a small travel cork screw in her checked bag, no need to pay the fee. 

NCL is not Disney.

The corkage fee has nothing to do with removing the cork from the bottle. It is a courtesy allowing you to bring your own wine onboard. Some land restaurants charge $25 to $50. Thomas Thomas Keller’s restaurants, The French Laundry and Per Se, charge $150 for each bottle a guest brings.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jdvmd said:

NCL is not Disney.

The corkage fee has nothing to do with removing the cork from the bottle. It is a courtesy allowing you to bring your own wine onboard. Some land restaurants charge $25 to $50. Thomas Thomas Keller’s restaurants, The French Laundry and Per Se, charge $150 for each bottle a guest brings.

Thanks for a quick response.  That is what I thought...  Corkage fee sounds better than service charge. :classic_wink:  When/where do they charge you the fee, at the port?  And how do you pay, credit card or does it go on your ship account?

DH and I bring beer onto Disney because he doesn't like wine.  But since that is not an option on NCL I was debating bringing wine on  to try and save a little money since I will drink wine, but with the corkage fee I am really not saving anything so I may not even bother.

On 11/1/2019 at 9:37 AM, Bonnie1222 said:

Thank you, that is good news!  We have zero promos for this cruise, we book a sailaway inside. 

We had no intentions of cruising because we already have 2 upcoming with Disney over the next year.  But the price was too good to pass up, and we have been wanting to try NCL because no matter how much we love Disney, the cost is stopping us from cruising as much as we want.  This was our way of "break(ing)away"  from the norm and giving NCL a try and still staying without breaking our budget. 

Just want to clarify that there are free things on the NCL app but if you want to text / call then there is a $9.95 per device charge 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bonnie1222 said:

Thanks for a quick response.  That is what I thought...  Corkage fee sounds better than service charge. :classic_wink:  When/where do they charge you the fee, at the port?  And how do you pay, credit card or does it go on your ship account?

DH and I bring beer onto Disney because he doesn't like wine.  But since that is not an option on NCL I was debating bringing wine on  to try and save a little money since I will drink wine, but with the corkage fee I am really not saving anything so I may not even bother.

Bring the wine in your carry on...... right after you pass thru security they will direct you to a table where someone will put a sticker on the bottle and process the fee so it will appear on your stateroom account. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 4:59 PM, beerman2 said:

So true if you desire a specific time. But NCL only books a certain % (30-35) pre-cruise. 

Which is mostly true.

If you are only trying to add reservations onboard and you are comfortable with technology, you can use the touch screen kiosks.

But remember, If you need to change reservations or want to talk to someone to make sure it is done right, there is usually only a 1-person dining desk on small ships like the sky. You can wait in line for an hour if you want to do this onboard. 

10 hours ago, Bonnie1222 said:

@newmexicoNita

Do you have a recommendation for newbie on which MDR to try on the first night?  I recall you recommending lunch on embarkation day you like O'Sheehan's.

Savory Taste is what we like. this is on the Breakaway. The menus are identical in both MDRs so it probably doesn't make a lot of difference, but go early as the wait that first night can be very long if you decide to wain until about 6 or later. Other nights 6 or 6:30 is fine. Have a good cruise. 

18 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

Savory Taste is what we like. this is on the Breakaway. The menus are identical in both MDRs so it probably doesn't make a lot of difference, but go early as the wait that first night can be very long if you decide to wain until about 6 or later. Other nights 6 or 6:30 is fine. Have a good cruise. 

Thank you. We like to eat late so I was thinking about choosing an 8:30 dining time since we have the option to make the reservation.