price reduction

jjjct

I have an aft penthouse suite booked on a cruise I am on in a few weeks. Just checked price and although their are no aft penthouse suites available there are 2 bedroom family suites at a significantly lower price than what I paid. I booked through a travel agent, do I need to contact her or can I contact NCL directly. Is it possible to upgrade to the 2 bedroom and get reimbursed for the difference in price?

Good luck ..... last minute pricing is for last minute bookers anymore. NCL knows they can do last minute pricing and not owe anyone anything. Everyone and their mother is going to think and ask for a refund .... not going to happen after final payment date.

If you’d rather sail in the other suite, call and ask your TA about a possible upgrade.  Do so quickly though before that suite sells or the price goes up again.  Do not expect the price difference.  You are after final payment, so by contract, the cruise line does not have so do anything...often they will make a one time adjustment after final payment as a goodwill gesture, soot is worth asking your TA to call.

Upgrade is possible, through your TA.  Possibility of money back or OBC is slim to none, especially since your current class is sold-out, so no way to determine that there is a price reduction for that booking.

I just upgraded at no cost but didn't ask for money back - was satisfied that I was given the upgrade.  I don't know if it matters, but I had the cabin number for the specific location I wanted.  But do it ASAP before someone else snags what you want.

You may also want to check whether the the current pricing on the new suite includes all the perks and offers that you have with your old one.  If not, take care that you do not lose a perk or credit that is more important to you than the upgrade.  Not saying that would happen, just be aware.

11 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

You may also want to check whether the the current pricing on the new suite includes all the perks and offers that you have with your old one.  If not, take care that you do not lose a perk or credit that is more important to you than the upgrade.  Not saying that would happen, just be aware.

This would not be a cancel and rebook where perks would change (a cancel is a 100% penalty now). Cruise line does not owe any upgrade or OBC. If they give you anything, it is a bonus. 

1 minute ago, blcruising said:

Consider it an expensive lesson learned. Become a last minute booker only when sailing NCL and you'll get a price that more closely resembles true fair market value.

I don’t think that’s true in all cases. We find that when bookings open two years out, which we do, we get some great deals. It’s the middle ground of the booking window that seems to be the highest prices. Beginning and end the best .....

2 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I don’t think that’s true in all cases. We find that when bookings open two years out, which we do, we get some great deals. It’s the middle ground of the booking window that seems to be the highest prices. Beginning and end the best .....

It isn't true in all cases. But rest assured, you won't find 16 day and 13 day cruises selling for $449 or 5 day cruises selling for $99 two years in advance. But if you do, snag it right away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blcruising said:

It isn't true in all cases. But rest assured, you won't find 16 day and 13 day cruises selling for $449 or 5 day cruises selling for $99 two years in advance. But if you do, snag it right away.

I agree .... when I booked our 15 day Panama Canal cruise on the Bliss way back in 2017 from this past April 2019 ..... it never dropped in price once. I guess it just depends and I agree last minute Caribbean cruises are always cheapest last minute. 

I booked a OA ocean-view 16 months prior to sailing on a 15 Panama Canal trip and was willing to pay that cruise fare for that trip... Prices dropped and I upgraded to a balcony (mid ship) for the same price 2 months out from sailing.  Four weeks from sail date I bumped to a JS Family suite for $200.00 more.  I worked closely with my TA and thrilled at the outcome.  Yes all after final payment and NCL has always been fair.  Monitor your pricing and ask...it cant hurt.

4 hours ago, julig22 said:

Upgrade is possible, through your TA.  Possibility of money back or OBC is slim to none, especially since your current class is sold-out, so no way to determine that there is a price reduction for that booking.

I just upgraded at no cost but didn't ask for money back - was satisfied that I was given the upgrade.  I don't know if it matters, but I had the cabin number for the specific location I wanted.  But do it ASAP before someone else snags what you want.

Thank you for your advise. we called our TA and went back and forth with our phone calls with her calling NCL. We ended up with same perks and got upgraded from a Aft Penthouse Suite to a Family 2 Bedroom Suite. Asked for the cabin we wanted also and no extras. Was just thrilled with the upgrade. I think this only happens on cruises that are not sold out. All other cruises, and we have taken many, we have only been able to do the bidding process.

58 minutes ago, lljalbert said:

I booked a OA ocean-view 16 months prior to sailing on a 15 Panama Canal trip and was willing to pay that cruise fare for that trip... Prices dropped and I upgraded to a balcony (mid ship) for the same price 2 months out from sailing.  Four weeks from sail date I bumped to a JS Family suite for $200.00 more.  I worked closely with my TA and thrilled at the outcome.  Yes all after final payment and NCL has always been fair.  Monitor your pricing and ask...it cant hurt.

You are so right, thank you for your advise. I went into this with the thought that I was happy with what I booked. Asked, and got the upgrade. Was happy with my original cabin,  but now am thrilled.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

This would not be a cancel and rebook where perks would change (a cancel is a 100% penalty now). Cruise line does not owe any upgrade or OBC. If they give you anything, it is a bonus. 

Got the bonus!

15 hours ago, jjjct said:

Thank you for your advise. we called our TA and went back and forth with our phone calls with her calling NCL. We ended up with same perks and got upgraded from a Aft Penthouse Suite to a Family 2 Bedroom Suite. Asked for the cabin we wanted also and no extras. Was just thrilled with the upgrade. I think this only happens on cruises that are not sold out. All other cruises, and we have taken many, we have only been able to do the bidding process.

Glad it worked out.

19 hours ago, blcruising said:

Consider it an expensive lesson learned. Become a last minute booker only when sailing NCL and you'll get a price that more closely resembles true fair market value.

I am glad it worked for the OP but  if you are considering being a last minute booker make sure you know the popularity of the cruise you are booking.  If I had booked a flight to Venice and wanted a last minute cruise on the Star in September - I would maybe have got a last minute internal, not much else.  Same thing when I am booking the Epic for a Western Med early in the autumn.  If I want a late autumn Western Med - then I might get an ocean view.  

Edited by ollienbertsmum

Don't forget to check pricing when you receive your "20% off" email. I sail solo (in the Haven) and got a tremendous deal on a Panama Canal cruise on the Joy for Feb 2021. Also  a price reduction for my upcoming January cruise. I normally book at least a year out and keep an eye on pricing. When I find a better deal,  I call or email my PCC and 10 minutes later it's a done deal.