Canada/New England balcony

hillbilly cruiser

Thinking of doing Canada/New England in Sept. I feel that on an Alaska cruise you need a balcony room. How about Canada/New England.

Price is quite a bit more. Been on 23 cruises and have had balcony on the last 18 or so. Would I be disappointed with an ocean view.

I know its a matter of personal preference just wanted other opinions.

Thanks.

We always book a balcony (actually JS or above)...Doesn't matter how much we use it ,when we use it or even if at all...Just having that option of a private quiet outdoor space is what's important to us.

We just came back from a 13 nighter Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale and used it only a couple of times but it was nice to have.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1

I think it really depends when and on why type of ship. September is going to still be pleasant during the day with the possibility of a little chill at night. Generally if I'm on a smaller ship I don't feel the need for one all the time because its not as crowded. On a larger ship I won't go without one because I want to have a private place outside away from the crowds. 

Sailing up and down the St Lawrence is scenic-- in some parts down right pretty-- but its also not Alaska or the Fjords in Norway or something like the Panama Canal where having a private spot on deck is really helpful. For me this would be a toss up. 

Not sure if you are sailing HAL but we found their Lanai cabins are a nice compromise-- direct access to the lower promenade deck and they frequently sail this route. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 9:35 PM, hillbilly cruiser said:

Thinking of doing Canada/New England in Sept. I feel that on an Alaska cruise you need a balcony room. How about Canada/New England.

Price is quite a bit more. Been on 23 cruises and have had balcony on the last 18 or so. Would I be disappointed with an ocean view.

I know its a matter of personal preference just wanted other opinions.

Thanks.

On any NE/Canada sailing we always have a balcony to see the shore line and waterways of New England and Canada.

Being on the QM2 you have a spectacular view with the height of the balcony decks. We even enjoyed the St Lawrence to Quebec on the QE2 and watched thru the Porthole and wished we had a balcony then.

We learned on a sailing on the Old Caronia of Cunard to NE/Canada via Cape Cod north a balcony was needed and must.

Then on a balcony is always on our booking looking forward to all the viewed to see up close.

We sailed from Boston to Quebec.  For most of the cruise there was not a lot to see once we were away from port.  Even sailing into Quebec until we got close we were pretty far from shore.  If you want the balcony for a place to hang out, that works.  If you are planning to use it for sightseeing, I would say not worth it.

Even if it's too cold to sit out there, the view to me is worth a lot.  Even going outside for a couple of minutes to lean across the rail for a look.

Silly as it sounds, if I even get quarantined for the Noro Virus, I'll go claustrophobic with anything other than a balcony.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Because we were booking 3 rooms (this was a grandkids/grandparents trip), cost was a consideration so we booked 3 oceanview rooms. It worked out fine, but at least on our RCL ship out of Baltimore to New England and Canada, my husband and I, with a cabin closer to the bow, found that our window was considerably smaller and less easy to access than our grandkids, whose two rooms were only a bit further midship.  Moral: not all oceanview rooms are alike, even for the same price.

My mom and I had an aft cabin on our cruise this past Sept/Oct on the Serenade.  We loved having it.  It was a bit cool, but we still got out there for sail aways and as we were coming in to port.  It was really great being out there as we sailed away from Portland, ME and we could see Portland Head Lighthouse.  I got some great pictures.  Of course I'm a balcony girl - I just have to have one or I don't sail!😂

• Like 1

I was more than happy with the inside cabin when went on our first cruise--then we went to Alaska and had a balcony,, well that was the end of inside cabins. I enjoyed seeing the sun/scenery/and even the ocean noise. We are getting a balcony for our NE/Canada cruise in Sept. and I'm looking forward to it. Who knows what I will see, but at least I'll be able to see it. 

6 hours ago, BroadwayGirl said:

Just be warned....you may be annoyed by the fog horn. 

We have taken the 4th of July Independence Cruise many time and yes we have experienced the first day out unfortunately heavy fog.

I know there are many who would like to take advantage of the Sun and the Fun Day, 1st day out but we have some how had the fog present each time. 

Having booked the forward of the ship we don't mine the sound of the Fog Horn almost each 20 - 30 seconds even into the evening. It seems when we are sailing from the Long Island Sound and along the Cape Cod coast to Boston or heading to Halifax. 

What a wonderful sound to hear on this Great Ocean Liner.