Ramblings from the Sailing the Suez Oct 26 to Nov 16th.

1982CruzStart

2 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

It has been a very long day and i will really try and catch up tomorrow.  We did the small group Jerusalem and Bethlehem.  Thank god for the the small group. I am pretty sure i would have jumped off the nearest bridge if i had been with a large group. It was so busy every where we went. to have tried to keep track of 30+ people as opposed to 14 is mind boggling. There was 14 in a large bus so very comfortable. What i can say about this tour is maybe it is worth it if you need to see these religious sites. I went from a cultural and archaelogical perspective rather than religious and i am not sure had i known how over the top busy it was i would do it.  This is our 2nd visit to Israel and i did the historical sites the last time. 

As my good friend says it was way toooo peopley.

Our guide was very good. She was extremely knowledgeable though at times it was overwhelming.  I say we wasted a good hour just hanging around waiting for the bus to show up at the various places.

i am extremely glad that the next 2 days are sea days. We have sailed the Suez Canal before so not so important to us. 

More tomorrow.

Jerusalem is ALWAYS busy and hustling on a Friday because the entire city is preparing for Shabbat, which starts at sunset. You had to visit on a Friday due to the cruise schedule but many organized land cruises (non-religious based) avoid Jerusalem on a Friday/Saturday, except for Saturday evening after sunset when the city comes alive again. Any type of travel on a Friday will not much longer than other days.

12 hours ago, gnomie1 said:

Jerusalem is ALWAYS busy and hustling on a Friday because the entire city is preparing for Shabbat, which starts at sunset. You had to visit on a Friday due to the cruise schedule but many organized land cruises (non-religious based) avoid Jerusalem on a Friday/Saturday, except for Saturday evening after sunset when the city comes alive again. Any type of travel on a Friday will not much longer than other days.

Our tour guide told us it was a typical day for this time of year as this is tourist high season according to her. 

Well my plan to post pictures and get caught up have hit a bit of a snag.  Internet running slow probably because it is a sea day and everyone is online after a very busy day yesterday. 

Last night was a bbq at the pool grill but we opted to have a quiet dinner in CR. It was very good.  I had the seared tuna loin on a bed of vegetable tartare. It was delicious, followed by a green salad (desparately needed something green to eat) and the filet mignon with the wonderful madiera-truffle sauce. It was the perfect end to our tiring long day. 

I am a madiera drinker hence why i love the madiera-truffle sauce but am having difficulty actually being able to get any of the madeira to have after dinner.  As my DH pointed out they have to have madiera to make the sauce so i should be able to get some but maybe they only supply the kitchen.

Next cruise i will specifically order a bottle for my cabin so i can have my after dinner drink.  Oh well, not a real big deal as there are plenty of other options to consume. 

After yesterday's long day we opted to turn in our tickets to St. Catherine's Monastery. Just couldn't face 7 hours of bus riding for 2.5 hours of tour.  We will somehow enjoy another 'sea' day with the possiblity of just walking off the ship if we so desire. 

If i can post some pictures sometime today i will do so.   It is a beautiful warm sunny day so after lunch the balcony, my book and i have a date. 

Seared tuna loin with vegetable tartare. Okay slightly eaten. My DH reminds every time to take the picture. Sometimes not until have the first bite.

This is especially bad when I have gone back to the cabin specifically for my phone to take pictures and then as the food is put in front of me, totally forget the picture.  

IMG_02112019_164944_(770_x_1024_pixel).jpg

Edited by 1982CruzStart
Additional text.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mj_holiday said:

I have seen reference to  Go Local included tours.    I haven't seen this on any past cruises.  And a glance at a few of the future tours, did not see this.  Is this a new category for Regents tours? 

This is my understanding:
“Go-Local” tours were introduced at about the same time as the “Small Group” tours.

The “Go-Local” tours are prefixed GL and may be paid or included depending on the itinerary, length and inclusions.

If others have any further info I am sure they will share.

7 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Floating island dessert. It is so good and light. Must not have any calories,  right?

IMG_02112019_165920_(770_x_1024_pixel).jpg

This is one of the best dessert on the ship, photo looks just like the many I've had.  Great report, enjoying it all.

• Like 1

Today we are transiting the Suez Canal:

7429087B-015E-4D81-B3A9-58E221F51A2F.thumb.jpeg.d38fed04db7a2b9f68dabe0d78174d09.jpeg

We waited at Port Said last night until setting off in convoy in the early hours of the morning.

DCFEA56C-6A1C-49A2-A607-FB3EDE824607.thumb.jpeg.18660b3e06dfa3ef23183c86bf7a727e.jpeg

We are at the head of the convoy

504FA227-8AB6-4FB9-BFA1-75B7CCCDD993.thumb.jpeg.57f0802240ab0da79806773a5241de12.jpeg

CFE630F7-6AA8-464E-B670-3A14B212D0A4.thumb.jpeg.1bf98ff00caaf8c76e5181d67336e347.jpeg

Lots of fishermen about this morning.

Another lazy day at sea - next stop is Sharm El Sheikh tomorrow and then our two day overland trip to Luxor from the port of Safaga.

Flossie - why the convoy?  Tides?  Security?  I know there are no locks.

that floating island looks stunning but nothing at all like a classic floating island to me.  Should be quenelles of meringue as a rule but I rather fancy what they have done with it!  How was the sauce??

hambagahle

the reason for the convoy is that large sections of the canal cannot cope with ships going in opposite directions at the same time, so the day is split into three eight hour periods, during which ships can only go south or north. So your ship is likely to have to wait at certain places to wait your turn and this, of course, creates convoys.

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Flossie - why the convoy?  Tides?  Security?  I know there are no locks.

Simply a matter of regulating the northbound & southbound traffic, as @Belfast Taxman says.

This from Wikipedia:

Since the canal does not cater to unregulated two-way traffic, all ships transit in convoys on regular times, scheduled on a 24-hour basis. Each day, a single northbound convoy starts at 04:00 from Suez. At dual lane sections, the convoy uses the eastern route. Synchronised with this convoy's passage is the southbound convoy. It starts at 03:30 from Port Said and so passes the Northbound convoy in the two-lane section.”

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

that floating island looks stunning but nothing at all like a classic floating island to me.

The Chartreuse interpretation is delicious; tastes just as good if not better than the traditional French recipe and is also a feast for the eyes.

Last night in Chartreuse we had the Apple Tart and the Chocolate Napoleon. Unfortunately the former was let down by a “soggy bottom”; the first time I have encountered anything less than a perfectly crisp base on this very tasty dessert.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

We are now in the Gulf of Suez - blue skies, flat calm seas & very hot sun 😎

Just to reassure you that here at home, we are enjoying (ahem!) a perfectly normal early November day, damp underfoot with a bit of a chill in the air.  I know that you will be missing such pleasures.... 🤔

I am very envious indeed, but thank you kindly for whetting my appetite for next April.   Enjoy!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

the only slight niggle being pesky flies that were out & about in abundance.

.................... plus the two low flying fighter jets who decided that a small white cruise ship slowly progressing along was the perfect aiming mark for their morning manoeuvres 😱

2 hours ago, Gilly said:

Just to reassure you that here at home, we are enjoying (ahem!) a perfectly normal early November day, damp underfoot with a bit of a chill in the air.  I know that you will be missing such pleasures.... 🤔

Thanks for the update. I think we will be happy to stick with the weather conditions we have now  for the next couple of weeks 😎
although I did buy a nice winter coat while we were in Marseille; should come in handy for our return.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1