A Yank Tries The Aurora - Any Suggestions or Secrets

SargassoPirate

Well, I did it.  I recently booked my first P&O cruise as a solo on the Aurora.  She Who Must Be Obeyed and I have almost 50 cruises with Royal Caribbean, Princess, HAL, Cunard, and Celebrity. SWMBO doesn't always cruise with me, so this will not be my first solo cruise.  I've been reading the boards here as part of my research into P&O and to get a feel for the culture.  Now I am interested in your advice on how the make the most of my time on-board.  First, a little about my cruising style.

I avoid cruises during school holidays so that I can avoid feral children running amok on the ship.  I enjoy reading a good novel on the shady side of the promenade deck.  I avoid over-amplified production shows and over-amplified bands on the Melanoma Deck.  I enjoy a good Scotch or three in the evening at a venue without a band so that I can converse with others.  I don't feel the need to disembark at every port if I've been there before.  I am not a foodie and generally don't feel the need for specialty dining. I know how to dress up for formal nights. I don't feel the need to be the first on the ship on boarding day or the first off the ship on disembarkation day. 

Any secrets, suggestions, tips, or hacks about the Aurora?

Yes, go ahead and enjoy her.  She's our favourite ship.  They will all be Brits (99%), but some of us are OK!!  I too, find the music way too loud and have watched a show with my fingers in my ears.

Lovely walk around Prom deck and tiered stern over 5 decks, so you can sit there and read if the Prom deck is not viable.  So for instance if it's windy from the bow, the stern decks are usually fine.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

Last time we were on Aurora we met Cruiser Bruiser who like you was sailing as a solo American. Hopefully he will see this thread and add his thoughts. I'm sure you've done your research so you know that Aurora is the oldest and smallest ship currently in the fleet and probably the most traditional. She is our favourite with her beautiful tiered stern and we find she has a good flow. She is of course adult only now so no small children to worry about. Being older and smaller you may find there's not much going on if you don't get off on a port day but then if you like a good book you can relax in the crows Nest and just enjoy the view. What time of year are you sailing and is it a warm weather cruise or one going north as these things can affect the vibes on board.

• Like 1

Sounds like Aurora is the perfect ship for you. 

I'm sure Andersons will become your venue of choice as it is ours. Comfy chairs, no music, great bar selection and excellent service. 

On level B at the front, there is a quiet little balcony, ideal for sail aways as hardly used. 

The tiered stern at the back is a great place to chill. 

Although she is old, there is a lot to like if you prefer a classic ship and are not too bothered about technology. 

I'm sure you will have a great time, 

Andy 

• Like 2

You should try out the afternoon tea served in the Medina restaurant from 4pm to 4:45. You have choice of 7 different teas or coffee. Served with finger sandwiches, scones, clotted cream, jam and small cakes. What’s not to like?

Brian

13 minutes ago, BrianI said:

You should try out the afternoon tea served in the Medina restaurant from 4pm to 4:45. You have choice of 7 different teas or coffee. Served with finger sandwiches, scones, clotted cream, jam and small cakes. What’s not to like?

Brian

Good shout Brian, but we were a little disappointed with the afternoon tea on Aurora compared to Britannia where, in addition to the usual scones, cakes and sandwiches, we also had hot sausage rolls, crumpets and toasted teacakes. 

Still nice though. 

Andy 

6 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Well, I did it.  I recently booked my first P&O cruise as a solo on the Aurora.  She Who Must Be Obeyed and I have almost 50 cruises with Royal Caribbean, Princess, HAL, Cunard, and Celebrity. SWMBO doesn't always cruise with me, so this will not be my first solo cruise.  I've been reading the boards here as part of my research into P&O and to get a feel for the culture.  Now I am interested in your advice on how the make the most of my time on-board.  First, a little about my cruising style.

I avoid cruises during school holidays so that I can avoid feral children running amok on the ship.  I enjoy reading a good novel on the shady side of the promenade deck.  I avoid over-amplified production shows and over-amplified bands on the Melanoma Deck.  I enjoy a good Scotch or three in the evening at a venue without a band so that I can converse with others.  I don't feel the need to disembark at every port if I've been there before.  I am not a foodie and generally don't feel the need for specialty dining. I know how to dress up for formal nights. I don't feel the need to be the first on the ship on boarding day or the first off the ship on disembarkation day. 

Any secrets, suggestions, tips, or hacks about the Aurora?

Sounds like you are well suited to Aurora, which is my favourite ship.  

You mentioned enjoying a nice whisky. Did you know that you can take up to one litre onboard for use in your cabin (on the day of your embarkation) so you can have a nightcap before bed or while changing for dinner. It means you can enjoy something a little different as the whisky choice onboard is fine but nothing particularly complex or special imo.

Anderson's is the perfect place to savour a nip, people watch and have a civilised conversation.

During the day the coffee area in the Atrium is prime people watching territory.

One of the many nice features of Aurora is the cinema which is a lovely space for films and if you are lucky classical concerts. Last time we were onboard they had a classical pianist.

Unlike the other lines you have travelled with P&O has virtually all her passengers from the UK. Even Cunard which sells as quintessentially British is more cosmopolitan. Consequently you will be treated to a wide range of different regional accents (like mine) so good luck with that! 

Sounds like you have picked the right ship for your taste, have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks to all for the tips and encouragement.  As some of the American-based lines move toward floating amusement parks for the mass market, we are moving toward the older and smaller ships for a more traditional cruise experience where we can feel connected to the sea - not removed from it.

Afternoon tea is another feature I look forward to, in addition to the things I mentioned in my first post.

I do have an additional question.  When I have my wee dram or three in the evenings, I usually wrap a two-dollar bill around my sea pass/cruise card when I hand it to the waiter with my first order.  The two-dollar bill is unusual, it's in additional to the mandatory gratuity per drink, and I find it helps them remember my name and my drink of choice.  It also helps with a better pour of a better brand of Scotch.  Since there is no tipping on P&O, what would good etiquette dictate?

There is no need to tip additional on P&O and you should not do it.  Although there is no added percentage on your bill there is a tip or commission included in the price which the waiter receives. Hence they have an incentive to serve you well which they do. 
Brian

No tipping

So, just be your normal, polite, self

It’s quite likely that, if you are a creature of habit and drink in the same bar at the same time, one or more of the waiters will get to know you and be ready to get your drink toot sweet!

They don’t do tips, but they do work on commission, so it’s in their interest that you are served promptly 

17 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Good shout Brian, but we were a little disappointed with the afternoon tea on Aurora compared to Britannia where, in addition to the usual scones, cakes and sandwiches, we also had hot sausage rolls, crumpets and toasted teacakes. 

Still nice though. 

Andy 

I am currently on Aurora and hot sausage rolls are served if you like that sort of thing. 
Brian

27 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks to all for the tips and encouragement.  As some of the American-based lines move toward floating amusement parks for the mass market, we are moving toward the older and smaller ships for a more traditional cruise experience where we can feel connected to the sea - not removed from it.

Afternoon tea is another feature I look forward to, in addition to the things I mentioned in my first post.

I do have an additional question.  When I have my wee dram or three in the evenings, I usually wrap a two-dollar bill around my sea pass/cruise card when I hand it to the waiter with my first order.  The two-dollar bill is unusual, it's in additional to the mandatory gratuity per drink, and I find it helps them remember my name and my drink of choice.  It also helps with a better pour of a better brand of Scotch.  Since there is no tipping on P&O, what would good etiquette dictate?

You absolutely don’t need to tip with a drinks order to get good service (or tip at all) but you can give a tip to an attentive waiter near the end of the cruise if you want to, your choice entirely.

The drinks are not free pour, they are measured using jiggers and a small measure at that (compared to here at home for me at least). Get used to ordering a double if you don’t want to be presented with a dribble in the bottom of the glass. Drinks prices are fairly  reasonable and cheap compared to other lines and no mandatory percentage gratuity added.

P&O do a drinks package if that is of interest to you, depends on how many drinks you enjoy in a day and what you drink,  if it is within the price limit on the package.

Good advice so far about Andersons and Tipping.  Re sailing solo, I have always found the Solo Coffee meets useful to meet a few other solo pax and sometimes pal up to have an independent wander ashore. The numbers attending these vary - anything from 6 to over 20.  They are usually hosted by some of the entertainments officers before they go off on other duties.

P&O sometimes automatically group solos together for dinner if you are on Club (fixed) Dining.  If you have booked fixed dining, you can always request to be on a solos table if you would like that.  They also often set aside a table at afternoon tea for solos but in general, I have always just joined a 'normal' table.

You will find traditional deck sports on Aurora (Quoits and Shuffleboard).  The entertainment officer running these will pair people up and I have found it a good way to get some fresh air and meet different people.  Be aware however that some folks take their deck sports a little (too!) seriously 😁.

Aurora has a lovely wide Promenade Deck for that novel reading.  She also has a good Library with a decent selection of books - but get in early!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

The bar staff get a percentage so no need to tip at all.

You are quite right Jean but I have on occasion given specific bar staff a small tip at the end of a cruise when I feel they have looked after me particularly well.

• Like 1