Live from the Quest - not a trip review, I promise

raphael360

This is meant to be an update on all of the changes, policies, and conditions we’ve been discussing for the past 6 months or so.  I’m a repeat SB customer since 2012 or so and  is where we are IMHO:

What’s new:

1.  In room plastic WATER bottles have been replaced with the refillable Nordaq water bottle system.  My review is: the water in the reusable water bottles is, in fact, water.  Score - planet earth.

2.  Suites were ready when we boarded at 12:30pm.  This may be a new policy fleet wide (or not) but: Score - early SB boarders

3.  Diamond passengers get their own special check in line but there were so many Diamond passengers this became the longest check in line.  Wifie is Diamond but we elected to select the shorter “everyone else’ lines and beat most Diamond status passengers onboard. Score - observant Diamond status passenger.

4.  Rack of lamb missing from the MDR classic menu - Score lambs everywhere

5.  In room movie selection weak - Score people with a life

What’s not new:

1.  Food, service, condition of the ship all still excellent: Score - SB passengers

More to follow. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, raphael360 said:

This is meant to be an update on all of the changes, policies, and conditions we’ve been discussing for the past 6 months or so.  I’m a repeat SB customer since 2012 or so and  is where we are IMHO:

What’s new:

1.  In room plastic WATER bottles have been replaced with the refillable Nordaq water bottle system.  My review is: the water in the reusable water bottles is, in fact, water.  Score - planet earth.

2.  Suites were ready when we boarded at 12:30pm.  This may be a new policy fleet wide (or not) but: Score - early SB boarders

3.  Diamond passengers get their own special check in line but there were so many Diamond passengers this became the longest check in line.  Wifie is Diamond but we elected to select the shorter “everyone else’ lines and beat most Diamond status passengers onboard. Score - observant Diamond status passenger.

4.  Rack of lamb missing from the MDR classic menu - Score lambs everywhere

5.  In room movie selection weak - Score people with a life

What’s not new:

1.  Food, service, condition of the ship all still excellent: Score - SB passengers

More to follow. 

This whole post me smile!!!!   Thanks for making my day.  Taking our first Seabourn cruise in November.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Are the new water bottles glass?

How big are they?

Are plastic water bottles for or on excursions, or at the pool, still available?

Plastic, about 500-750 ml,, very wide mouths(to wide IMO) and yes on the shore excursion bottles thank God. 

Yes, the Sojourn had the problem but the Quest also, perhaps not as bad.  I wasn't on the Sojourn but got off the Quest in August and there were several areas where the decking was coming up, so much so that they had pots arranged to guide you around it.  So, I wonder if it's been fixed.

Yes the deck issues were on the Sojourn.  We are also on the Quest now and I agree w/ Raphael360's comments, food has been good so far and service is what we expect from Seabourn - although lots of new faces this cruise, some old favs but not as many as in the past.  I believe the issue w/ the Diamond line in Montreal, at least when we were on it, which sounds to be about the same time you boarded, was that the porters were taking those in wheelchairs to the Diamond line w/ out regard to their status.    We moved to another line as he Diamond one was not moving compared to the others.  

I do find the Nordaq water bottles  have a distinctive smell, yeasty is how I would describe it, to them.  

18 hours ago, kimanjo said:

This whole post me smile!!!!   Thanks for making my day.  Taking our first Seabourn cruise in November.

I absolutely envy you on your upcoming ‘first time on Seabourn’ experience. I don’t want to over sale this but our first SB Cruise was ‘the’ special one.  I’ve taken 30+ cruises on the big box cruise lines and didn’t really know what to expect going on SB for the first time but ‘OMG’ it was so different and so excellent. 
I’m currently on #15 and they have all been as good as the last BUT the 1st one...  kind of like the first time I saw my wife 35 years ago.  I’m hoping it goes well for you ;0

17 hours ago, raphael360 said:

I absolutely envy you on your upcoming ‘first time on Seabourn’ experience. I don’t want to over sale this but our first SB Cruise was ‘the’ special one.  I’ve taken 30+ cruises on the big box cruise lines and didn’t really know what to expect going on SB for the first time but ‘OMG’ it was so different and so excellent. 
I’m currently on #15 and they have all been as good as the last BUT the 1st one...  kind of like the first time I saw my wife 35 years ago.  I’m hoping it goes well for you ;0

We are very excited.  We started cruising on Celebrity ( with the kids Mercury/Galaxy days).  Then have sailed Azamara and most recently  sail Oceania..  We are very low key, low maintainance passengers ( we'll be the ones at the table for 2 all the time). Hopefully the special-ness of Seabourn will not be wasted on us.  The biggest special request we've ever had  was for Fresca or Diet Ginger Ale.  We chose this cruise for timing, itinerary and length.  That it is on Seabourn is the cherry on top!  Will we notice the difference??   I'll try to post my thoughts post cruise.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 8:24 PM, kimanjo said:

We are very excited.  We started cruising on Celebrity ( with the kids Mercury/Galaxy days).  Then have sailed Azamara and most recently  sail Oceania..  We are very low key, low maintainance passengers ( we'll be the ones at the table for 2 all the time). Hopefully the special-ness of Seabourn will not be wasted on us.  The biggest special request we've ever had  was for Fresca or Diet Ginger Ale.  We chose this cruise for timing, itinerary and length.  That it is on Seabourn is the cherry on top!  Will we notice the difference??   I'll try to post my thoughts post cruise.  

Kimanjo I hope you enjoy your first cruise on Seabourn. I am a big Seabourn fan but I worry sometimes that we need to not give people unreal expectations. We have had some cruises we loved more than others but generally we have loved our cruises.

What I enjoy is how the crew make us feel special. The lovely fellow passengers we have fun talking with. The relaxed atmosphere on the ship without needing to worry when dining that no-one thinks about who is picking up the tab. Getting to know the crew and having some fun with them. Venture cruise experiences the last couple of years, especially kayaking and zodiacs.

Be careful mentioning something special around a crew because we have had them just want to give us some thing special for the cruise experience, even when it wasn't a request just something the crew overheard 😊.  Not every cruise but enough to be cautious because we would prefer to stay low key as well. 

I hope you have a great cruise.

Julie

• Like 2

3 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Kimanjo I hope you enjoy your first cruise on Seabourn. I am a big Seabourn fan but I worry sometimes that we need to not give people unreal expectations. We have had some cruises we loved more than others but generally we have loved our cruises.

What I enjoy is how the crew make us feel special. The lovely fellow passengers we have fun talking with. The relaxed atmosphere on the ship without needing to worry when dining that no-one thinks about who is picking up the tab. Getting to know the crew and having some fun with them. Venture cruise experiences the last couple of years, especially kayaking and zodiacs.

Be careful mentioning something special around a crew because we have had them just want to give us some thing special for the cruise experience, even when it wasn't a request just something the crew overheard 😊.  Not every cruise but enough to be cautious because we would prefer to stay low key as well. 

I hope you have a great cruise.

Julie

Thanks!   We are on the Lima to Santiago cruise ( with zodiacs), which we are really looking forward to.  Santiago with the civil unrest will be "interesting"?!

We are not retired yet, so just nice ship, quiet, good food, interesting itinerary, adventure and just unwind "us" time is what we are looking forward to.  I'm sure we'll have a great time.

J