Positive Review for MSC

Idahoan58

I had read a lot negative reviews about MSC and thought I would write a positive one. I got off the MSC Seaside on Saturday and it was my favorite ship and cruise line I have been on so far. It was my 6th cruise and I have previously cruised Princess, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean. 

Pros:

• There was never any lines. The cruise line was very efficient at getting people on and off the ship.
  • The design of the ship was amazing. We hardly ever went above the 9th floor. Everything we needed was on deck 5 thru 9. 
  • When getting back on the ship in ports they had water, a wet wash cloth, beach towel exchange, and music.
  • The food was the best food I have had on any cruise line. 
  • I loved the European flare to the cruise and being an American minority. 
  • I loved that the shopping was spread out on multiple floors instead of just one area.
  • Even though there was 5,000+ passengers on board it didn't feel like it.
  • There was 3 show times and 3 dinner times.
  • Anytime there was any sort of issue such waiting clearance from the port they would get on the intercom and explain the situation to everyone.
  • The thermal suite was amazing.

Cons:

• There wasn't the marriage game show on board.
  • The Zip Line was always closed due to weather conditions.
  • The gym was too small for the size of the ship.

I went with 3 other people who have all previously cruised on other cruise lines and we all agreed MSC was our favorite. I can't wait cruise them again and I don't understand why they have so many negative reviews. If had to rank the cruise lines I have been on from best to worse it would be:

1. MSC
  2. Carnival
  3. Royal Caribbean 
  4. Princess
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the review!

We have been on MSC twice (Seaside and Divina) and have our third coming up on the Meraviglia in December. 

Although we are Platinum on NCL we are really starting to like what MSC has to offer.    We love the design of the ships and find the cruise director staff and service staff to be excellent.    The evening performances have been outstanding too.  

Pam really enjoys the food on MSC too.

We were a little hesitant about MSC initially due to all the negative reviews here and elsewhere but we have had very positive experiences on our MSC cruises thus far.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

One persons kind/helpful is very different to others

😲

Basic manners, cordial, professional then?

It sounds like this pax has sailed with other lines and can compare

Have seen/heard exceptionally rude, abusive pax before... and yet have only ONCE seen/heard a rude abusive crew member. With that experience with an inept and rude wine steward--I went to the Maitre D and Head Sommelier  for the ship (as did another pax) and it was dealt with within hours. 

@Idahoan58   

I agree with your soapbox moment of those who have nothing to do but complain and yet have no reviews/comments of the other "amazing" sailings. Perhaps it is human nature to complain easily and complement slowly?

otoh- I do know that I wrote 2 reviews for our B2B in Sept.. and recently asked CC why they haven't been posted. I wonder if they were lost 

Edited by Fogfog
  • Like 2

I would put a little perspective into the argument - MSC is a budget cruise line, no ifs or buts.  Look at CC reviews and sure there are many exaggerations but the general trend is below average by most experienced cruisers. One comment I would make is that MSC is very good value for money but expect their ships to be very crowded, extremely so.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

I would put a little perspective into the argument - MSC is a budget cruise line, no ifs or buts.  Look at CC reviews and sure there are many exaggerations but the general trend is below average by most experienced cruisers. One comment I would make is that MSC is very good value for money but expect their ships to be very crowded, extremely so.

Maybe Weve got lucky on our sailings but I have not had any MSC cruise so far that has " been below average" they have all been great with no major issues a lot of fun and fantastic value  more so than the other lines Ive cruised with so far.

And so far None of the sailings on any of the ships have been "very crowded" in fact  they have not been crowded at all, maybe again we got lucky or we choose to cruise at non peak times. 

Maybe Im just easy to please and if that means a Fantastic value cruise in beautiful surroundings going to great ports of call  then yes I am

For me MSC  has offered  fantastic value   and a true holiday experience (feels like a European holiday) and that is why I choose them.

Im not loyal to any line I just choose the best value with the best itineraries.  

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, sidari said:

Mickey89 ... Not just me then that has noticed that your comments mirror some of those posted by Bermuda bound!

.........maybe I should ask him/her for advice as I'm off to Tenerife for Xmas. No point asking you is there......!

34 minutes ago, sidari said:

Must have touched a nerve ... 🤔😂

I recently received a very negative response from BB...  I chose not to respond as the comments in the reply just reinforced the point of my post.     

• Like 3

@Fogfog The staff and crew were very helpful and had really good manners. We choose the Bella experience; therefore we ended up with a dinning time we didn't like so we asked to change it and it took them maybe 2 minutes to change it for us. There was a bar service server who was a floater that we all became Facebook friends with. We first saw him in at the Gelato bar and then he ended up visiting us every night at dinner even though he wasn't assigned to our table. 

It never once felt crowded on the ship. The design of the ship is amazing.

I was on the Royal Princess in May and I really didn't like the service on the Royal Princess. The service on this cruise was much better in my opinion.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Idahoan58 said:

@Fogfog The staff and crew were very helpful and had really good manners. We choose the Bella experience; therefore we ended up with a dinning time we didn't like so we asked to change it and it took them maybe 2 minutes to change it for us. There was a bar service server who was a floater that we all became Facebook friends with. We first saw him in at the Gelato bar and then he ended up visiting us every night at dinner even though he wasn't assigned to our table. 

It never once felt crowded on the ship. The design of the ship is amazing.

I was on the Royal Princess in May and I really didn't like the service on the Royal Princess. The service on this cruise was much better in my opinion.  

Sounds wonderful.

So glad you had a really positive experience not only with expected service, yet above/beyond as with the bar server/floater.

TY so much for your review and thoughts and putting in perspective with other lines you have sailed

Best

fog

7 hours ago, mickey89 said:

below average by most experienced cruisers

I do not really know, I am not a budget cruiser anymore. Perhaps the level of service is trickling down from the Yacht Club. I have never taken a Carnival cruise, never will. I enjoy reading a positive review of any line. I am  finding very negative reviews on Oceania, Silverseas, Seabourne, Crystal and am running out of premium cruise lines to try. My experience in the Yacht Club was exceptional (Divina and Seaside), but how many times can I see the same shows over and over again. "Experienced" a relative term. I have met cruisers with over 200 cruises, a few they enjoyed on cargo ships catering to only 6 passengers; extraordinary people, and I have been humbled by their 'experience'. Most of the reviews I have read on these boards that have been in the negative are written by posters with no track record, no posts prior to their first 'negative' review. I do 'love' one negative review in particular of a Seaside inaugural months cruise in which he stated " I would have had a better time in my garage for the week".  That being said, I have only had exceptional service on MSC."To each his own". The  positive reviews being posted by those not in the Yacht Club are very encouraging. I put MSC Yacht Club in the "Luxury" level of the cruise lines operating today.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mickey89 said:

.........maybe I should ask him/her for advice as I'm off to Tenerife for Xmas. No point asking you is there......!

I don't know where tenerife is, but I'd gladly help you if I did.

6 hours ago, sidari said:

Must have touched a nerve ... 🤔😂

Haven't touched a nerve with me! GMTA perhaps?

At this time I would ask that the moderators please look up the IP addresses and assure members that there is one, and only one, bermudabound2014 :) :) :). 

This is sort of fun though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nashna said:

I recently received a very negative response from BB...  I chose not to respond as the comments in the reply just reinforced the point of my post.     

See this is the problem. No discourse. My response wasn't negative at all and  I do not agree with your stance. You made a pretty serious accusation, I asked you to back it. I think that is the responsible thing to do. Again, I have very thick skin. It is highly unlikely you will offend me and I'm always up for difference of opinion discussion. Negative is a term so overused anymore. If people don't agree with one another they are 'negative'. If people don't put on the rose colored glassed they are 'negative'. Just click ignore and all the negativity will miraculously disappear! 

I'm booked on Seaside for April. I believe that MSC is a budget line. If other want to think differently, it's a free world, but this site is for sharing information. When people over praise this line, it sets expectations of novice travelers. That's why MSC has so many negative reviews, they expect something MSC is not. You don't get champaign on a beer budget. Plain and simple. 

With that said, MSC is an exceptional value, perhaps the best value sailing right now. I've always made that claim.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Idahoan58 said:

I had read a lot negative reviews about MSC and thought I would write a positive one. I got off the MSC Seaside on Saturday and it was my favorite ship and cruise line I have been on so far. It was my 6th cruise and I have previously cruised Princess, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean. 

Pros:

• There was never any lines. The cruise line was very efficient at getting people on and off the ship.
  • The design of the ship was amazing. We hardly ever went above the 9th floor. Everything we needed was on deck 5 thru 9. 
  • When getting back on the ship in ports they had water, a wet wash cloth, beach towel exchange, and music.
  • The food was the best food I have had on any cruise line. 
  • I loved the European flare to the cruise and being an American minority. 
  • I loved that the shopping was spread out on multiple floors instead of just one area.
  • Even though there was 5,000+ passengers on board it didn't feel like it.
  • There was 3 show times and 3 dinner times.
  • Anytime there was any sort of issue such waiting clearance from the port they would get on the intercom and explain the situation to everyone.
  • The thermal suite was amazing.

Cons:

• There wasn't the marriage game show on board.
  • The Zip Line was always closed due to weather conditions.
  • The gym was too small for the size of the ship.

I went with 3 other people who have all previously cruised on other cruise lines and we all agreed MSC was our favorite. I can't wait cruise them again and I don't understand why they have so many negative reviews. If had to rank the cruise lines I have been on from best to worse it would be:

1. MSC
  2. Carnival
  3. Royal Caribbean 
  4. Princess

To the OP, I'm very happy you enjoyed MSC. I'm surprised that a carnival cruiser enjoyed MSC so much as typically carnival cruiser say that MSC is not 'fun' enough, but I'm not in any way disagreeing with your experience.

too have a sailed all the lines you mention and would make my list almost the opposite as you. To be fair to carnival, it's been a long long time since I've sailed them. I've sailed all the others within recent years:

Celebrity

Princess

Hal

Royal Caribbean

Ncl

MSC

Carnival.

Not disagreeing with your views at all, just showing that review can be extremely different. I think it's great you have another cruise line to enjoy. Msc is a great value and I'm excited for our trip on seaside in April.

13 minutes ago, sidari said:

BB ... Tenerife is one of the Canary Islands.

I was correct, Don’t Ask Sidari about anything...!    
Madeira is not one of the Canary Islands, it’s a Portuguesa Island that lies north of the Spanish Canary archipelago 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

I was correct, Don’t Ask Sidari about anything...!    
Madeira is not one of the Canary Islands, it’s a Portuguesa Island that lies north of the Spanish Canary archipelago 

You clearly cannot read can you ?  I said Lanzarote is part of the group.

• Haha 1

Thank you for your review.  We, too, very much enjoy MSC Seaside...have sailed her twice with a third booked for April!  We are NCL Platinum, but the Haven is literally close to 2X the $$ for the YC on Seaside...yikes!  We have found the service in the YC and all around the ship to be exceptional, but that's just our 2 cruise experience.  And, luv me some of that Venchi gelato!  Put on 7lbs during our cruise at the end of July and am now just getting it off! Does that make me a bad person??? 🤔

• Like 3