Who Is VV Targeted To?

Lightngsvt

4 minutes ago, ano said:

It was intended as a joke, and nothing more, but like all good jokes, there is a grain of truth to it. 

Gotcha.  Nothing wrong with trying the lighten the mood!  I wish there was enough interest in that demographic to fill Scarlet Lady and her upcoming fleet mates week after week, but I don’t think so.  Judging by the fact that even the maiden voyage never sold out (well before the virus scare), it doesn’t speak well for VV. I honesty don’t think they ever got the massive wave of bookings they expected.  

Now add the virus to the mix.  The timing could not be worse, and in this environment only the really strong will survive.  I sincerely hope they do.  The more choice and variety, the better for the consumer.  

42 minutes ago, eroller said:

Judging by the fact that even the maiden voyage never sold out (well before the virus scare), it doesn’t speak well for VV. I honesty don’t think they ever got the massive wave of bookings they expected.  

How do you know it wasn't sold out?

1 minute ago, Nightrythm said:

How do you know it wasn't sold out?

I’ve been watching since day one.  I’ve had a keen interest in Virgin since the day it was announced and even put down one of the first deposits before anything was known.  I’ve been watching the first few sailings since they were released.  None have ever been sold out.  

1 hour ago, eroller said:

I’ve been watching since day one.  I’ve had a keen interest in Virgin since the day it was announced and even put down one of the first deposits before anything was known.  I’ve been watching the first few sailings since they were released.  None have ever been sold out.  

This is perhaps the most significant concern for VV's prospects. Either their marketing hasn't reached their intended demographic, or it has and there simply are not enough people interested in the product.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mnocket said:

This is perhaps the most significant concern for VV's prospects. Either their marketing hasn't reached their intended demographic, or it has and there simply are not enough people interested in the product.

I would surmise they have reached their target demographic, since they have showered every social media site in existence for the past year and then some ... and I assume that is the place to reach millennials, right?  Probably just not enough interest in the product, especially at the price point.  

• Like 2

All you have to do is go to VV (or any online travel agency that handles VV) and it will tell you if there are cabins available for an itinerary.  If a certain class of cabin is sold out it will say unavailable instead of listing a price.  Here's a screenshot for the March 26th sailing.  The Insider, Sea View and 1st Sea Terrace level are unavailable, all other cabins classes are available.  For other cruise lines it will actually show you the exact cabins that are available.  I always check online to see what's available before trying to book a cruise.  

Screenshot 2020-03-11 15.02.04.png

Edited by T&T
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 4:22 PM, eroller said:

I would surmise they have reached their target demographic, since they have showered every social media site in existence for the past year and then some ... and I assume that is the place to reach millennials, right?  Probably just not enough interest in the product, especially at the price point.  

I don't think price is really the problem.  Most Millennials are no longer college kids.  They do have vacation money from career jobs.  I said it before, and I'll say it again: Virgin Voyages are targeting The Beautiful People, rather than your average cruiser looking for a new line to try. 

Most of VV's marketing photos look like a hotel Kim Kardashian would stay in.  And that backfired on them.  Since most cruisers are not like Kim Kardashian, in looks or personality---heck, most people don't even like her!---they find such marketing offputting, rather than enticing.  Probably because they think: "Hell no, I'm not cruising with VV.  It's a bunch of realty star wannabes there.  I'll never fit in."

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

I don't think price is really the problem.  Most Millennials are no longer college kids.  They do have vacation money from career jobs.  I said it before, and I'll say it again: Virgin Voyages are targeting The Beautiful People, rather than your average cruiser looking for a new line to try. 

Most of VV's marketing photos look like a hotel Kim Kardashian would stay in.  And that backfired on them.  Since most cruisers are not like Kim Kardashian, in looks or personality---heck, most people don't even like her!---they find such marketing offputting, rather than enticing.  Probably because they think: "Hell no, I'm not cruising with VV.  It's a bunch of realty star wannabes there.  I'll never fit in."

I agree with much of what you're saying, but I do think price can be a turn off ... especially if anyone comparison shops.  Everyone likes a value, and it's yet to be determined if VV is a good value or not.  I do realize many Millennials have plenty of money, but like anyone else they are not going to throw it away if they are unsure of the product, and VV is completely new.  Also VV is trying to appeal to the non-cruiser, so an even harder sell.  

As for the "Beautiful People", if you have cruised before, then generally speaking you know these are the exact people that steer clear of cruises.  Kim Kardashian and her posse, and those like her, would not be caught dead on a mega-cruise ship, not even SCARLET LADY.  

Edited by eroller

17 minutes ago, eroller said:

As for the "Beautiful People", if you have cruised before, then generally speaking you know these are the exact people that steer clear of cruises.  Kim Kardashian and her posse, and those like her, would not be caught dead on a mega-cruise ship, not even SCARLET LADY.  

Yes, that's true, but bear with me.  I meant to say that Scarlet Lady looks like Kim Kardashian's yacht, on an enlarged scale.  Not to mention too much red in the decor.  Which makes it look not only uninviting, but also overly glitzy and offputting to someone who'd be uncomfortable with VV's "reality show" vibe.

I have cruised before.  While there are snooty people everywhere, the social atmosphere overall on Carnival was very friendly, and lived up to its "fun ships" marketing ploy.  I ended up meeting many fun people who I kept in touch with after the cruise.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

13 minutes ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Yes, that's true, but bear with me.  I meant to say that Scarlet Lady looks like Kim Kardashian's yacht, on an enlarged scale.  Not to mention too much red in the decor.  Which makes it look not only uninviting, but also overly glitzy and offputting to someone who'd be uncomfortable with VV's "reality show" vibe.

I have cruised before.  While there are snooty people everywhere, the social atmosphere overall on Carnival was very friendly, and lived up to its "fun ships" marketing ploy.  I ended up meeting many fun people who I kept in touch with after the cruise.

I gotcha! 

On 3/10/2020 at 11:45 AM, eroller said:

if you think this is somehow beneficial to VV you are sadly mistaken.  They will be lucky to survive.  I hope they have some non-skidish investors with very deep pockets.  

Funny how people are talking about Virgin surviving with 1 ship yet to sale and no issues with CV. All the major cruise lines stock prices down close 70% from the highs and their going to pay huge to borrow money going forward with junk status on their bonds. Could be game over for RCL and Carnival. Virgin will be the last of them to go under. 

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/royal-caribbean-may-be-cut-to-junk-by-s-p-on-virus-travel-impact-1.1403246

23 minutes ago, westguy99 said:

Funny how people are talking about Virgin surviving with 1 ship yet to sale and no issues with CV. All the major cruise lines stock prices down close 70% from the highs and their going to pay huge to borrow money going forward with junk status on their bonds. Could be game over for RCL and Carnival. Virgin will be the last of them to go under. 

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/royal-caribbean-may-be-cut-to-junk-by-s-p-on-virus-travel-impact-1.1403246

If you say so.  We shall see. 

1 hour ago, eroller said:

If you say so.  We shall see. 

Even worse off than the cruise lines will be the major US airlines. Domestically net bookings are down about 70%. Now comes the Europe air travel ban.  I would hate to be an airline employee. Even if you keep your job we could see the union contracts ripped up, pensions gone. Bankruptcy changes everything. We shall see. 

https://onemileatatime.com/united-airlines-domestic-bookings-down-70/

33 minutes ago, westguy99 said:

Even worse off than the cruise lines will be the major US airlines. Domestically net bookings are down about 70%. Now comes the Europe air travel ban.  I would hate to be an airline employee. Even if you keep your job we could see the union contracts ripped up, pensions gone. Bankruptcy changes everything. We shall see. 

https://onemileatatime.com/united-airlines-domestic-bookings-down-70/

People will always have to fly.  No one has to cruise.  This virus will pass and air travel will revive quickly.  The cruise industry on the other hand is badly tarnished.  

I'm quite proud to work in the US airline industry and just like we survived 9/11, SARS, bankruptcy, and many other challenges we will survive this one as well.  No one knows hardship like the airline industry and we know how to manage it.  If we don't manage it's only the American public that will get screwed.  So if you're hoping to screw yourself go right on thinking the way you do.   As for my job I'm not worried.  I have 26 years.  Sorry to disappoint you.  

I'll add it seems like you're wishing all this misfortune on me.  Pretty much shows what kind of person you are.  Of course you have already proven that with your previous posts.  

Edited by eroller

21 hours ago, eroller said:

I agree with much of what you're saying, but I do think price can be a turn off ... especially if anyone comparison shops.  Everyone likes a value, and it's yet to be determined if VV is a good value or not.  I do realize many Millennials have plenty of money, but like anyone else they are not going to throw it away if they are unsure of the product, and VV is completely new.  Also VV is trying to appeal to the non-cruiser, so an even harder sell.  

As evidence, I've noticed that the first rooms to sell out seem to be the insiders.

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

As evidence, I've noticed that the first rooms to sell out seem to be the insiders.

There are only a handful of insider rooms vs. a bunch of terrace rooms, so there is certainly scarcity of those too.

On 3/10/2020 at 2:45 PM, eroller said:

if you think this is somehow beneficial to VV you are sadly mistaken.  They will be lucky to survive.  I hope they have some non-skidish investors with very deep pockets.  

As a matter of fact, the investors DO HAVE very deep pockets:  Bain Capital owns a 51% stake and manages over $100 BILLION in assets.  The remaining 49% is owned by Virgin Group, which has a large portfolio of businesses.  Personally SRB's net worth is said to be $4 Billion, and given his passion for this venture, he may always decide to peel off a little scratch.

As for targeting Millennials... this is a quote from SRB, which implies they are looking more more than just one generation:

"Basically, we want people who are sophisticated and young at heart, people who want to have a good time," he said.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 2:15 PM, rbt001 said:

As a matter of fact, the investors DO HAVE very deep pockets:  ....The remaining 49% is owned by Virgin Group, which has a large portfolio of businesses.  Personally SRB's net worth is said to be $4 Billion, and given his passion for this venture, he may always decide to peel off a little scratch....

That must by why Richard Branson has asked Virgin Atlantic staff to take 2 months unpaid leave, as well as going to the government with a begging bowl asking for money to keep his airline afloat.  Meanwhile he lives on Necker Island with tax arrangements that most in the UK don't benefit from

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DYKWIA said:

That must by why Richard Branson has asked Virgin Atlantic staff to take 2 months unpaid leave, as well as going to the government with a begging bowl asking for money to keep his airline afloat.  Meanwhile he lives on Necker Island with tax arrangements that most in the UK don't benefit from

That's not why.  

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked for Labor day (for the record, I'm a Boomer and my husband is Gen X).

The final payment is coming up quickly.....we are going to wait it out until the last minute and see if this cruise is really going to happen.  Or see if there's a great offer to rebook at a later date.  I was super excited about this ship and trying a new brand (although those chairs do make my knees hurt just by looking at them), and I thought the price we paid was reasonable.  Now we aren't sure what will happen because of the economy, the virus, and our jobs (I've been furloughed already).  This is a scary world full of a bunch of unknowns.  

Yes, it is a cary new world!  It uncharted territory that world has never seen and will affect most areas of our lives for the foreseeable future.  If I'm being honest, Im a bit leery about cruising again this year.  We are booked in Sept, and Ill wait until final payment is due before making a decision on canceling and possibly rebooking for 21, or continuing with our sailing this year, assuming the industry is back on its feet by then.