Cruise Critic Community
BeagleAgility

Very Disappointed, cannot book 3 people in a stateroom

Just tried calling Royal to book a 3 night cruise on the Navigator or Mariner for the end of December. I was told I could not because there are 3 of us and they are not allowing any more rooms to be filled with 3 or 4 people - I would need to book 2 rooms in order to do this.

Has anyone else run into this issue? I would really prefer to go with Royal - but will switch to another line for this cruise if I have to.

It probably just means all triple rooms are sold out...you could find this situation on any line because you are reserving close to the sail date.

Normally I would agree - but the rooms have the availability of putting up to 4 people in them. I guess that is where my confusion comes in. 

It's likely because the muster stations for all of the available cabins can only hold 2 per room.  There are MANY more "berths" than are allowed to be sold.    Your ship must be sailing very full.

This question is posted frequently and the answer from the experts who post here is always the same, "Life Boat Capacity."

Have you searched a different category cabin?  Maybe upgrade your cabin choice.

23 minutes ago, BeagleAgility said:

I would really prefer to go with Royal - but will switch to another line for this cruise if I have to.

The restriction you are seeing may be loosened closer to sailing date, though that may not happen on a holiday sailing.

52 minutes ago, BeagleAgility said:

Just tried calling Royal to book a 3 night cruise on the Navigator or Mariner for the end of December. I was told I could not because there are 3 of us and they are not allowing any more rooms to be filled with 3 or 4 people - I would need to book 2 rooms in order to do this.

Has anyone else run into this issue? I would really prefer to go with Royal - but will switch to another line for this cruise if I have to.

Not uncommon.  There would have to be cancellations for the ship to fall under muster capacity.

1 hour ago, BeagleAgility said:

I had a similar situation years ago on Princess. It was less expensive to book two rooms for 4 people than one room for 4 people. It was close to final payment and I guess they were trying to fill rooms. 

They added so many cabins to the Nav that this is probably pretty common.

1 hour ago, BeagleAgility said:

Normally I would agree - but the rooms have the availability of putting up to 4 people in them. I guess that is where my confusion comes in. 

the life boat stations  can only hold X number of guests/crew.   so when  you have lots of cabins   booked with more than 2 people in them, they get filled up even though there are still cabins left that hold  more than 2 guests.  

its a pretty common occurrence actually.

Fake math coming up:  

lifeboat holds 100 pax.   there are 30 cabins in that muster station.   they automatically configure  60 pax within those 30 cabins( they probably all hold 3 or 4 by design however).  that leaves only 40 more  spots in the lifeboat to be spread across those 30 cabins.  if 20 cabins  have already added those extra 2 pax each,  then that's it.  no more bookings allowed.. and for a December this year sailing, that is  easily within the realm of  possibility,  lots of family  groups sail in December   as well as  groups of friends to celebrate  the two holidays.  

you basically waited  too long to have the most flexibility  in cabin accommodations.  

Dec is right around the corner and so pickings are slim.    You need to book much earlier.

If you are just thinking about going on a trip in the future, just book with refundable deposit if you are able to spare the deposit $$.

Don't book by specific ship/cruiseline.   Be open to all the different lines for the best value.

My father had a similar situation a few years ago.  He booked as a single in ocean view balcony cabin and he paid twice the price as a single.  A few months before the cruise he decided to have a friend go along with him and tried to book his friend into the cabin with him.

He was told he couldn't do it because other cabins had 3 or 4 in them. He was told that he should have booked 2 in the cabin to start with and if the friend had decided not to go, he could have cancelled the second person.  We had previously not heard of this policy.

Yes,  it is probably b/c of the life boat issue.  We have run into this issue because we usually book 5 people in a room.  An when my youngest was younger than 3, we could book a quad room and have him there with a pack-n-play.  We ran into the issue of yes there is a quad room available but we don't have space for you 5th person...so we had to actually get a room that fits 6 for that sailing.