Help for handicapped passengers?

debbiewp

My husband, adult daughter and myself will be on the Crown for a 10-day cruise in November.  Our family has been on 19 previous cruises with Princess, accompanied by my parents. Due to separate health reasons, they have had to cancel their last two cruises, but are determined to be on this one with us. My 85-year-old father has multiple issues (breathing problems when walking ANY distance) and my 81-year-old mother is recovering from a broken ankle.   It looks like they will both need transport chairs while on board, and the three of us will be on call to push them around lol. My husband, daughter and myself will want to go off ship at every port...I doubt this will be possible for my parents.  

Does anyone know if there are crew members that we could request to transport  my parents in their  chairs to, for example, the pool deck or Horizon Court, if we are not available to do so? Obviously, if my mom didn’t have the ankle problem, she would be able to push his chair. Several years ago, my father used a transport chair following his hip replacement, so we are familiar with how they work and we did take him off ship.

And for those that think they should just stay home, they love cruising, love Princess and realize that this will be their last trip..We are trying to keep them happy and comfortable and hoping all goes well, it will just be a different cruise experience than the past 19.

Thanks for any advice....

15 minutes ago, debbiewp said:

My husband, adult daughter and myself will be on the Crown for a 10-day cruise in November.  Our family has been on 19 previous cruises with Princess, accompanied by my parents. Due to separate health reasons, they have had to cancel their last two cruises, but are determined to be on this one with us. My 85-year-old father has multiple issues (breathing problems when walking ANY distance) and my 81-year-old mother is recovering from a broken ankle.   It looks like they will both need transport chairs while on board, and the three of us will be on call to push them around lol. My husband, daughter and myself will want to go off ship at every port...I doubt this will be possible for my parents.  

Does anyone know if there are crew members that we could request to transport  my parents in their  chairs to, for example, the pool deck or Horizon Court, if we are not available to do so? Obviously, if my mom didn’t have the ankle problem, she would be able to push his chair. Several years ago, my father used a transport chair following his hip replacement, so we are familiar with how they work and we did take him off ship.

And for those that think they should just stay home, they love cruising, love Princess and realize that this will be their last trip..We are trying to keep them happy and comfortable and hoping all goes well, it will just be a different cruise experience than the past 19.

Not really. There's no a cadre if crew standing by just waiting to help push passengers in their chairs or such.  If it's an immediate need, a deck hand may (may!) be able to help them from one side to the other or such, but that would be about it..

You may want to consider bringing a carer along. Yes, extra costs, but that's also an extra pair of hands, and someone that can actually be helpful in cabin, getting around, etc.  Maybe one that could share a cabin with your daughter? That would defray some cost.  Something to consider.

Otherwise, at least one of you would need to stay aboard with them to push them, help them at meal times, bathrooms, etc.  

Hope you are all able to enjoy your cruise together !

Why not rent scooters? 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp#Passengers_Special_Needs

scoot.PNG.86f5d6c1dc623ef78e308b15bd38641c.PNG

"Alternatively, you can contact Scootaround at  888-441-7575 (or outside the U.S. or Canada at 204-982-0657), email at webinquiry@scootaround.com or visit the scoot around website."

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 2

I would contact Princess. Below is a copy of section 8 from the passage contract. You may wish to consider renting scooters. They have them that fit through the cabin doors which I think standard cabins are 22 inches. Storage in the cabin may be an issue for two scooters unless you have mini or full suites.

8. YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO INFORM CARRIER OF SPECIAL NEEDS.

Due to the risks inherent in travel by sea, as described in Section 3 of this Passage Contract, if You have any special medical, physical or other requirements, You, Your travel agent, or any person booking on Your behalf is requested to inform Carrier in writing at the time of booking of any special need or other condition for which You or any other person in Your care may require medical attention or accommodation during the Cruise, or for which the use of a wheelchair or service animal is contemplated or necessary. If any such special need or condition arises after You have booked the Cruise, You are requested to report it in writing to Carrier as soon as You become aware of it. Guests acknowledge and understand that certain international, foreign or local safety requirements, standards, and/or applicable regulations involving design, construction or operation of the vessel, docks, gangways, anchorages or other facilities on or off the vessel may restrict access to facilities or activities for persons with mobility, communication or other impairments or special needs. Guests requiring the use of a wheelchair must provide their own as Carrier's wheelchairs carried on board the vessel are for emergency medical use only. You acknowledge and agree Carrier may disembark or refuse to embark You or anyone under Your care as set forth in Section 4 above. In limited situations where You would be unable to satisfy certain specified safety and other criteria, even when provided with appropriate auxiliary aids and services, we reserve the right to refuse permission to participate in all or part of the Cruise.

Persons with mobility impairments traveling on a Princess ship should refer to the “Accessible Cruising” portion of the Frequently Asked Questions (external link: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp) section of the Princess website for more information about wheelchair usage, special needs, and/or service animals.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Why not rent scooters? 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp#Passengers_Special_Needs

"Alternatively, you can contact Scootaround at  888-441-7575 (or outside the U.S. or Canada at 204-982-0657), email at webinquiry@scootaround.com or visit the scoot around website."

That's what I was thinking.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, debbiewp said:

they have had to cancel their last two cruises, but are determined to be on this one with us. My 85-year-old father has multiple issues (breathing problems when walking ANY distance) and my 81-year-old mother is recovering from a broken ankle.   It looks like they will both need transport chairs while on board, and the three of us will be on call to push them around lol. My husband, daughter and myself will want to go off ship at every port...I doubt this will be possible for my parents.  

wow.. I certainly hope you can make the necessary arrangements ... but port days seems to be a real problem without taking an extra person on the cruise to attend to them on those days while you ,husband, and daughter get off the ship to enjoy the ports ...

• Thanks 1

In all honesty, I'm not sure how to put this:  on port days, when so many pax get off the ship, I would guess these older folks would welcome the companionship of their family members. 

And, as already mentioned, the carrier does not have caregivers on staff  

Edited by pms4104

If you really believe this to be their last cruise, you may wish to focus your attention on enjoying the time with them. For the ports where the ship is docked, it should not be a problem for the 3 of you to push the wheelchairs for the 2 of them and look around town.  Tender ports may need to be skipped, or you can take turns going off the ship and staying with them. They can also enjoy a quiet day in their cabin now and then, order room service, and recover from prior activities.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My husband can't walk long distances and has used a transport chair for years.  I have pushed him everywhere and there isn't any problem taking his chair on a tender.  There are crew available at the gangway to take him up off and on the ship.  We pick our shore excursions based on his limitations and have never had any problem storing his chair on any transportation modes during excursions.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, debbiewp said:

Hate saying it, but the crew is NOT responsible for caring for your parents, YOU are! We saw an elderly British couple who was very well looked after by a care provider. This is what you'll have to do. In nearly ALL cases the ship staff will probably not allow your parents off the ship, most especially if there are tender ports involved. Everyone else's safety is paramount over just 2 pax when it comes to tenders. What about buses? Same thing. Remember to maybe, just maybe, take into consideration everyone else on that ship. It's best they stay on board, but as I said earlier hire a fully licensed care attendant. They are available, but will be expensive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Are there reasons you would not rent scooters for the trip? That would give your parent more independent control of their movements.

That's great idea. I really can't see the reason they can't rent them. If cost is an issue, then the cruise itself doesn't seem to make much sense.

6 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Not really. There's no a cadre if crew standing by just waiting to help push passengers in their chairs or such.  If it's an immediate need, a deck hand may (may!) be able to help them from one side to the other or such, but that would be about it..

You may want to consider bringing a carer along. Yes, extra costs, but that's also an extra pair of hands, and someone that can actually be helpful in cabin, getting around, etc.  Maybe one that could share a cabin with your daughter? That would defray some cost.  Something to consider.

Otherwise, at least one of you would need to stay aboard with them to push them, help them at meal times, bathrooms, etc.  

Hope you are all able to enjoy your cruise together !

reedprincess,

I understand and thanks so much for your suggestions.  I think that perhaps I unintentionally exaggerated their handicaps and should clarify for all that my parents live independently in their own home over 400 miles from us (and further from all other family)...they attend social events, go out to dinner and enjoy a beach vacation with their entire  family in the summer.  They both still drive, do their own shopping and they are both quite able to walk on their own...the transport chairs were just a thought to make things easier for them on a large ship.  They are also quite stubborn about asking for help.  I appreciate your reply and I'm sure we will all enjoy the cruise!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

Why not rent scooters? 

Thanks, this would be a great idea if I could ever convince them to use one!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, memoak said:

You cannot expect the ships staff to move your parents from place to place. This should be the family’s responsibility 

Wow...I'm pretty sure that I did not in any way state that I expected the ships staff to move my parents place to place and I am well aware of the family's responsibility.  

I think that perhaps I unintentionally exaggerated their handicaps and should clarify for all that my parents live independently in their own home over 400 miles from us (and further from all other family)...they attend social events, go out to dinner and enjoy a beach vacation with their entire  family in the summer.  They both still drive, do their own shopping and they are both quite able to walk on their own...the transport chairs were just a thought to make things easier for them on a large ship.  

Obviously, I cannot expect everyone to be as kind in their responses as others.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, keithm said:

Hate saying it, but the crew is NOT responsible for caring for your parents, YOU are! We saw an elderly British couple who was very well looked after by a care provider. This is what you'll have to do. In nearly ALL cases the ship staff will probably not allow your parents off the ship, most especially if there are tender ports involved. Everyone else's safety is paramount over just 2 pax when it comes to tenders. What about buses? Same thing. Remember to maybe, just maybe, take into consideration everyone else on that ship. It's best they stay on board, but as I said earlier hire a fully licensed care attendant. They are available, but will be expensive.

I am well aware that the crew is NOT responsible for caring for my parents, and in retrospect I guess I unintentionally exaggerated their handicaps and should clarify for all that my parents live independently in their own home over 400 miles from us (and further from all other family)...they attend social events, go out to dinner and enjoy a beach vacation with their entire  family in the summer.  They both still drive, do their own shopping and they are both quite able to walk on their own...the transport chairs were just a thought to make things easier for them on a large ship.  

I have been on 19 Princess cruises -- as have my parents and my children from the time they were young children.  Believe me, we know how to treat the staff, we know how to dress appropriately for the occasion and we know how to show some consideration and kindness to others. 

Remember to maybe, just maybe, take into consideration your snarky responses to a simple question on this board.

• Like 4

It maybe too late for this but having them have a cabin on Lido deck (as close to the pool area as possible) may solve a lot of your issues on port days.

This way, they can walk to the pool deck and also get burgers and drinks if they want to. And return to their cabin when they are tired with out anyone's assistance.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

It maybe too late for this but having them have a cabin on Lido deck (as close to the pool area as possible) may solve a lot of your issues on port days.

This way, they can walk to the pool deck and also get burgers and drinks if they want to. And return to their cabin when they are tired with out anyone's assistance.

Coral....that’s a great idea, wish they had thought of this when they booked! Too late now, but thanks for the thoughtful response 

• Like 1

My husband and I took my Dad on a cruise last Thanksgiving, he was 86 and handicapped at the time.  He used a cane and a walker at home, where he lived alone.  He was very independent.  We rented a scooter for him and it was in the cabin when we got there.  We brought along his cane and walker, which he used to navigate around inside the cabin.     When we got to the port, they immediately put him in a wheelchair and someone from Princess accompanied us up to our room, with him in the wheelchair.  Once we got to the room, he had the scooter to use and it was all charged up.

I am so, so glad we took that cruise last Thanksgiving, as my father got ill this past summer and passed away in August.  I cherish those memories and I hope you get to take your parents on the cruise!  

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, debbiewp said:

reedprincess,

I understand and thanks so much for your suggestions.  I think that perhaps I unintentionally exaggerated their handicaps and should clarify for all that my parents live independently in their own home over 400 miles from us (and further from all other family)...they attend social events, go out to dinner and enjoy a beach vacation with their entire  family in the summer.  They both still drive, do their own shopping and they are both quite able to walk on their own...the transport chairs were just a thought to make things easier for them on a large ship.  They are also quite stubborn about asking for help.  I appreciate your reply and I'm sure we will all enjoy the cruise!

Maybe instead of a scooter or wheelchair, look into one of those folding walkers that also converts to a seat - that way they'd have their mobility, a seat whenever they need a couple minutes to rest or catch their breath, and there's not much concern about someone being there to push them around.

Your further info is a very big turnaround from your initial post (noting one can't walk ANY distance without being out of breath and so forth).  The further info makes a huge difference in possible suggestions.

As you note, they're totally independent u see normal circumstances, the cruise shouldn't be much more of any stress or difficulty for them, doesn't sound like a wheelchair is really needed in the first place.

The Lido deck solution is a wonderful one - you could check into changing their cabin.  

Good luck and enjoy. 

2 hours ago, debbiewp said:

reedprincess,

Debbie, I'd try and rent at least 1 wheelchair "just in case" so you'll have one if you need it. Either specialneedsatsea.com or scootaround.com can give you a quote.

Tp,

We regularly cruise with my wife’s 90 year old mother. We always bring a wheelchair for her (collaspible ). She can walk for short distances and so far has been able to get on/off the tenders with the crew help. She almost always joins us on excursions. We avoid those with strenuous walking and stairs. The first year she joined us we used a walker chair. It’s ok on the ship, but unacceptable on city streets. In Saigon (never heard of ho Che min city) it was difficult because the sidewalks and streets are not wheelchair prepped, but we managed. The single biggest problem using the wheelchair was no room on the ship’s elevators. We have learned to go down first to go up. She loves joining us and we love her company

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1