“Emergency” laundry

HMY624

16 minutes ago, ChollaChick said:

My concern would be that if the ship was aware of a "stomach bug" that they could quarantine the room in case it's Noro.

Well to be honest, they should check it out and make a determination.  It could be something contagious, and there are a lot of people on the ship.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 9:35 PM, gaylemh said:

Has anyone had jeans or shorts washed?  Did they shrink?  I'll be on for 21 nights and don't want to bring more than 2 pairs of jeans and a few pairs of shorts, for during the day, but I also don't want my expensive jeans shrinking.

I’ve washed both jeans and shorts and never had a problem.  

On 10/28/2019 at 6:15 PM, Snit13 said:

On a cruise Nov. 2018 cabin attendant told me any body fluids on sheets/towels/etc. had to be placed in a plastic bag and sent to be BURNED.  She said it could not be washed by the ship laundry.

I highly doubt this is the case. Do you know the amount of “body fluids” that are on those sheets from vacationing couples alone? They would have to destroy every single set of sheets. And washcloths are used for more then your face.

I wonder how many people on your Carnival cruise caught the stomach bug from the laundry. On ships, you’re supposed to have that kind of laundry done separately at a high heat to disinfect. Royal would want to know, so they can quarantine your child and implement special cleaning procedures for your stateroom and laundry. That being said, I just hope your family stays healthy onboard!!

On 10/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, gaylemh said:

Has anyone had jeans or shorts washed?  Did they shrink?  I'll be on for 21 nights and don't want to bring more than 2 pairs of jeans and a few pairs of shorts, for during the day, but I also don't want my expensive jeans shrinking.

We had jeans done most recently this April and they came back with no problems.  We tend to send the winter clothes we fly down in out for laundry so they will be clean to fly home in

On 10/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, gaylemh said:

We got caught in a downpour in Cozumel and were soaked to the skin.  We didn’t want dripping wet clothing in the cabin for the rest of the cruise, so we sent it to be laundered.  His t-shirt was fine, and my beach coverup came back pressed; it was absolutely beautiful, never looked that good before or since then.  I added a pair of my capris to the bag so I could wear them again.  Big mistake, as they came back so tiny that I never, ever was able to wear them again.   

I am a big fan of the Scrubba bag.  Available on Amazon and directly from the website.  Designed by a couple of Australians as a nifty way to do laundry while on travel.  It is a waterproof bag that allows you to do laundry and get your stuff pretty clean in about 3 minutes.  Does a full day worth of clothing at a time. Afterwards, hang to dry.

Give it a shot.

On 10/31/2019 at 10:22 PM, Bookworm1985 said:

I highly doubt this is the case. Do you know the amount of “body fluids” that are on those sheets from vacationing couples alone? They would have to destroy every single set of sheets. And washcloths are used for more then your face.

Not to mention, one of the purposes of drying clothes with heat is it kills germs.   

On 10/28/2019 at 10:42 PM, Cel_cruise said:

Sort of this..Definitely rinse in sink and then ask for the wash and fold bag! .But saying stomach bug on a cruise ship can have some other consequences that you should be prepared for..

Such as Quarantine 

Unless you purchase designer clothing, I would opt to have it dry cleaned and or laundry on the ship.  Having your cabin looking like a obstacle course isn't my idea of a comfortable vacation cabin-  We budget for a couple of loads of laundry- when spending so much for a vacation- we may have to spend a little more.  If you hang a swim suit in your bathroom-on a hook- not invasive.

On 10/28/2019 at 7:35 PM, gaylemh said:

Have them dry cleaned...not washed....if you're concerned about them shrinking. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

4 hours ago, SRF said:

The heat of a dryer is not enough to kill the germs.

The act of drying clothes can kill germs due to the dryness involved.  Viruses for example need moisture to survive.  Google and you'll see a variety of answers.  Commercial dryers used in hotels, hospitals and ships are meant to disinfect sheets and towels in particular because they use high heat.  Otherwise, can you imagine how many skin infections alone would be spread?

Edited by BND

17 hours ago, BND said:

The act of drying clothes can kill germs due to the dryness involved.  Viruses for example need moisture to survive.  Google and you'll see a variety of answers.  Commercial dryers used in hotels, hospitals and ships are meant to disinfect sheets and towels in particular because they use high heat.  Otherwise, can you imagine how many skin infections alone would be spread?

The WASHING removes most of the infectious organisms.  Just like washing your hands

And if dryness was that much of a factor, there would be no diseases in the desert.

Some bacteria encapsulate and are immune to drying and reasonably high heats.  Think making a dry powder out of them, like anthrax powder.

Same with viruses.  Some may be sensitive to dryness, others are fine dried.

Think about the stair railings, airplane, anything you touch.  Crazy to worry about your cleaned laundry carrying bacteria and viruses.  If you are that concerned, you shouldn't ever travel or go into any mall or public spaces.

Unless you have a disease or disorder that compromises your immune system- relax and enjoy and take good precautions!  Wash your hands frequently.  Or stay home.

Edited by Cruise a holic