Cruise Critic Community
peteM3

P&O Club dining query

May seem like a daft question , but if you are on club dining and decide not to use it on any particular night , do you have to inform anyone so the sitting can be given to others ?

4 minutes ago, peteM3 said:

May seem like a daft question , but if you are on club dining and decide not to use it on any particular night , do you have to inform anyone so the sitting can be given to others ?

Not a daft question at all. You don’t have to inform anyone, but it would be polite to let your other table guests know so they are not waiting for you.

No, the seats at the table  is for you only, we were on Ventura recently and several times tables were empty because the passengers ate elsewhere. 

Edited by Kate333

Thanks very much for the repiles .

Although booked Club dining , still pondering whether to change it to Freedom dining . Will likely stick with the Club dining , but good to know there is flexibility without causing problems  if we do fancy a change .

As a common courtesy, if you are dining on a table with other guests, it is polite to let the restaurant manager or waiter know if you will not be dining. It means that service for the other diners will not be delayed while they wait for you, in the expectation that you are running late.Obviously if you are on a table for two, there is no need to tell anyone.

We changed to Freedom on Aurora this month and much preferred it having always done Club before.  So much more flexible.

17 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We changed to Freedom on Aurora this month and much preferred it having always done Club before.  So much more flexible.

Jean 

We've always used club, and been lucky with table companions.  The freedom of freedom dining appeals but we like a table of 6 to talk to others.  My one worry about freedom dining do you have time to get past the introductory conversation,  my name's...... , .....,    etc

18 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Jean 

We've always used club, and been lucky with table companions.  The freedom of freedom dining appeals but we like a table of 6 to talk to others.  My one worry about freedom dining do you have time to get past the introductory conversation,  my name's...... , .....,    etc

I would much rather do  the quick  introductions ( and let's  face it, we all forget each others names the moment that we hear them) than be forced to eat at the same time every night, with the same people. After 16 or 17 nights with the same table mates,  with the best will in the world,  conversation can flag!

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I would much rather do  the quick  introductions ( and let's  face it, we all forget each others names the moment that we hear them) than be forced to eat at the same time every night, with the same people. After 16 or 17 nights with the same table mates,  with the best will in the world,  conversation can flag!

Our experiences have been the opposite. 

We have made some friends for life on club dining and have enjoyed after dinner drinks etc with some of them. 

We are not pushy and are happy to let them do their own thing but make them welcome to join us if they want. 

It sometimes takes a few days to relax and get to know each other, so this isn't really possible on freedom. 

We do both, but my preference at the minute is club on a table for 6 or 8.

Andy 

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Jean 

We asked for a table for 8 mostly, but one evening it was a 6.  There are 3 of us and there were 3 of them.  What a delightful family.  All other nights we were on an 8.  Had no problem with initial introductions, nobody said how many cruises they had been on.   We had a great time meeting new folk and talking about different things.

As there are more select dining venues I have found it more restrictive on Club dining as you don't always know the night before whether you'll feel like eating in the MDR at the usual table or not. While it's polite to tell your table companions that you've booked another venue the following night, I sometimes like to eat at, say the Beach house on impulse, and that is much easier with freedom dining.

Sometimes you look at the evening menu after breakfast and think, "I don't really fancy that". Freedom gives you the ability to book elsewhere or eat at one of the no booking venues.

Thanks for all your thoughts 

We are going on a 19 med cruise. We will eat in MDR on all formal nights. In Sindhu and Ocean Grill on the 7 port nights, undecided on rest but most probably MDR.

So far have had great table companions who we don't see in day and enjoy catching up with at night. Still contemplating freedom vs club.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Thanks for all your thoughts 

We are going on a 19 med cruise. We will eat in MDR on all formal nights. In Sindhu and Ocean Grill on the 7 port nights, undecided on rest but most probably MDR.

So far have had great table companions who we don't see in day and enjoy catching up with at night. Still contemplating freedom vs club.

I wouldn't leave it too late before making your mind up. Freedom dining, imho, tends to get booked up early.  You may not get any choice at all if you delay too long. 

We only changed because of the disaster that was the previous cruise with some unbelievably rude people.  All our other tables for 8 have been good, but last year we found our Table for 8 was often not full, or even we were on our own sometimes, so for us Freedom has worked beautifully.  Also, going down at 8.30 is far too late really, you are not eating your main course until about 9.  We ate at 8 on Freedom and it was much better.

Thank you  Jean. 

We will I think stick to Club ,we have early sitting, and hopefully continue with our string of nice  table companions. I don't know what we'd do if a similiar situation to your disaster last year occurs. Did you try to move table,  if so what was the response. 

I think I would try to move to freedom,  or if not ask for a table change in club, but don't know the chance of success

Oh yes we certainly moved!  We sat down and there were only 2 people there to start with.  I said hello and was told the name of the woman next to me. My husband has an unusual name and so when I gave it, the man said "Oh and I'm Sir John"  obviously taking the p***.  Then 2 more arrived and knew the other 2.  We said hello and the male of that pair asked our friend where she lived.  "Richmond on Thames".  He said - is that near Sutton?  Anyway, they then proceeded to talk amongst themselves, so we did the same.

Then suddenly one of the women said "I don't know why you ask for a Table for 8 if you want to be by yourselves!!"  My husband then quietly said to them "Well don't worry, we won't be sitting here tomorrow".  Ha ha.

Yes the maitre d;it moved us and we had a really nice couple, but they went to Sindhu a lot, so we were often on our own.

This time, we had great companions every night and it works for us.

I couldn’t actually think of anything worse than doing club dinning. 
along with the fact that me and hubby are very antisocial and hate small talk, I would feel sorry for people having my kids at the table. They are really brilliant at the dining on cruises for their age but they still do come out with some corkers turning me into a beetroot. I couldn’t do the same people either and that would be same if it was family too.