Coral vs Grand for Alaska 2020

Dar & Bob

We are looking to cruise Alaska next summer.  From what I have read both of these ships were refurbished in 2019 - Coral in January and Grand in May.  I would like information from anyone who has sailed since the refurbs.  We would most likely be looking at a Mini Suite.  Also, I am wondering if the upgrade to Club Class is worth it or alternatively if buying additional Specialty meals would be better.   

Personally I would do the Coral.  It is a great ship with many open viewing ares.  We've sailed the Coral several times but the Grand only once.  The Grand was my least favorite of all the Princess ships.  Nothing wrong with it but for some reason it just seemed "different."  I would never pay extra for Club Class.  All that extra money just to get anytime dining without a wait, no other benefits at all.  Just my humble opinion.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TM said:

Personally I would do the Coral.  It is a great ship with many open viewing ares.  We've sailed the Coral several times but the Grand only once.  The Grand was my least favorite of all the Princess ships.  Nothing wrong with it but for some reason it just seemed "different."  I would never pay extra for Club Class.  All that extra money just to get anytime dining without a wait, no other benefits at all.  Just my humble opinion.

Never have sailed Grand Princess, but have sailed on Star Princess.  My most recent Princess sailing from Whittier to Vancouver was on Coral Princess.  She is a perfect ship for Alaska itineraries.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TM said:

Personally I would do the Coral. . . .  The Grand was my least favorite of all the Princess ships.  Nothing wrong with it but for some reason it just seemed "different." . . .

We've been on both:  Grand in 2010 for 14  days and Coral in 2008 for 14 days (Pan. Canal).  The Grand is the oldest ship in the fleet, I believe--launched in 1998.  Coral is a bit newer, launched in 2002.  It's also a bit smaller:  92,000 GT, 2000 pax vs 108,000 GT, 3100 pax (max capacity).  Coral is also a different design (was similar to the Island until they "enlarged" the latter) from other Princess ships.  For example, the buffet is forward, rather than aft.  Personally, I would choose the Coral over the Grand.  Whichever you choose, enjoy Alaska!  We've been there 4 times so it never gets "old" <g>.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Thanks for the responses, it confirmed the feeling that I had.  We jumped on an early August sailing.   Now to start looking at all the extras 🙂

Princess will provide for you an enjoyable cruise is my prediction.

You won’t regret it...We loved the Coral for our Alaska trip last August, below is my post from earlier this year explaining why. 

And thanks all for the info on the club mini suites vs. non club. We are looking at a Norwegian fjords cruise next summer and was wondering about that. We always do mini suites on Princess as I want a somewhat comfortable place to sit when I am in my cabin!

Our first Princess cruise was on the Coral to Alaska last August. We just happened to find The Sanctuary on our tour of the ship after boarding. We managed to snag the last spots for the day in Glacier Bay. What a fantastic experience! Highly recommend it!! Enjoy your cruise.

The Grand is our favorite ship (likely just nostalgia) and have cruised her many times. BUT she would not be my first choice for Alaska (Depending on the time of year) just because of her physical size, as she is somewhat more limited for the Glacier Viewing. Coral Sapphire etc all you give you much better views (IMO) not to mention 1000 or so fewer PAX making the off shore experience better.... And Alaska is all about the viewing and off shore experience (again IMO) I can't think of a single reason Club Class is worth the extra $$$. Generally you can eat in specialty dining a couple times, upgrade your shore excursions (a lot), pay your gratuities and still have money in your pocket.

Edited by TNTLAMB
  • Like 1