RCCL overnight excursion at NZ sounds

psygist

Would appreciate any info or recommendations from anyone that has done Royal Caribbean’s overnight shore excursion from Milford Sound.  It’s pricey so want to give careful consideration before booking. 

Is it a worthwhile excursion?  The itinerary description is vague. 

Will I miss viewing the fjords/sounds?  Or does the tour give better views?

Do you return to the ship in time the next day to be able to go on excursions at Dunedin?

thanks for any info you can offer!

Edited by psygist

4 hours ago, psygist said:

Would appreciate any info or recommendations from anyone that has done Royal Caribbean’s overnight shore excursion from Milford Sound.  It’s pricey so want to give careful consideration before booking. 

Is it a worthwhile excursion?  The itinerary description is vague. 

Will I miss viewing the fjords/sounds?  Or does the tour give better views?

Do you return to the ship in time the next day to be able to go on excursions at Dunedin?

thanks for any info you can offer!

I haven’t done it but it is supposed to be very good.

BUT you miss a day sailing through 2 fiords which is one of the main reason you’re there.

I would suggest a stop over in Queenstown on the way home.

I haven't done it either but I have cruised Fiordland three times and have visited Milford Sound by road as well.

Yes, you will miss Doubtful Sound and Dusky Sound, both of which are pristine wilderness areas in NZ. However you will see Milford Sound which is the most spectacular of the three.

You will also see some amazing scenery leaving Milford Sound by road and, of course, you will see other parts of the NZ countryside and Queenstown. 

The tour probably won't arrive in Dunedin until late afternoon of the second day but it should include a highlights drive through the city including a stop at the beautiful Dunedin Railway Station.

In my opinion this excursion is a good way to see an inland part of NZ instead of just the coast, however only you can decide whether that is worth the cost to you.

BTW, if you do a search in this forum you should see other threads about these excursions which will have more detail. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I haven't done it either but I have cruised Fiordland three times and have visited Milford Sound by road as well.

Yes, you will miss Doubtful Sound and Dusky Sound, both of which are pristine wilderness areas in NZ. However you will see Milford Sound which is the most spectacular of the three.

You will also see some amazing scenery leaving Milford Sound by road and, of course, you will see other parts of the NZ countryside and Queenstown. 

The tour probably won't arrive in Dunedin until late afternoon of the second day but it should include a highlights drive through the city including a stop at the beautiful Dunedin Railway Station.

In my opinion this excursion is a good way to see an inland part of NZ instead of just the coast, however only you can decide whether that is worth the cost to you.

BTW, if you do a search in this forum you should see other threads about these excursions which will have more detail. 

Totally agree.

If you do a search on this page and the Australia New Zealand Cruisers Page you will find other posts discussion this issue.

Edited by MargoK