Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Georgia_Peaches

Punta Gorda Rocking: A New Cruise Craze?

Recommended Posts

Many of you may be aware of the yellow rubber duck craze that swept across some cruise ships in which fellow cruisers leave the ducks in unsuspecting places for others to find and collect.  Was wondering if anyone was aware of the Punta Gorda Rocking culture (aka. Kindness Rocks) that seems to be gaining popularity among many travel groups...just not sure if any of these unique pieces have made they way on any Celebrity ships.  More on this can be found on social media.  Here's a few pics...was thinking about bringing a few along on my upcoming cruise.

 

 

 

rock 1.jpg

rock 2.jpg

rock 3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't see them on a ship ever,  but  we have found them in Venice Fl...a bit north of Punta Gorda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that neither ducks nor rocks are being put in places where they might interfere with the cleaning process by crew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I hope that neither ducks nor rocks are being put in places where they might interfere with the cleaning process by crew.

Good point...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Passengers should paint their mobile phones and leave them where they can't befound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the ducks were on our recent cruise but I never saw any.  I have heard of the rocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I hope that neither ducks nor rocks are being put in places where they might interfere with the cleaning process by crew.

I was actually more interested in leaving them behind in ports of call than on the ship itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I was actually more interested in leaving them behind in ports of call than on the ship itself.

That seems more like littering to me. I've seen similar stunts where people were leaving these things in national parks or on beaches. No bueno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I was actually more interested in leaving them behind in ports of call than on the ship itself.

The rocks or the ducks?  Wouldn't be too cool to hit a rock on the way out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I was actually more interested in leaving them behind in ports of call than on the ship itself.

I have actually found several of these and its so neat to post my findings to the matching FB site and find out where the rock originated.  I have thoroughly enjoyed finding/re-hiding them, and certainly did not consider it 'litter'  It started out as a rock, it still IS a rock.....Rocks are everywhere, just these got a little TLC..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This reminded me of a Mitsugirly (Kim) review from a while ago :classic_wink: 

 

I searched and actually found it - not on Celebrity, but back in 2017 on the Carnival Magic (post #7)

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2477205-i-belize-in-magic-mitsugirly-revisits-the-western-route-my-novel/

 

She posted:

Ok, next deadline for that week....Friendship/kindness rock painting. What? Never heard of it. However, there were a few people on our roll call for this cruise that does this and posted their rocks. I instantly fell in love...and thought this was right up Sakari's alley! I showed her and she immediately wanted to do some for the cruise.

 

 

We headed out to buy the supplies and came home that night and started painting.

 

IMG_2311%20copy-L.jpg

 

She was loving this new "artsy" thing to do.

 

IMG_2312%20copy-L.jpg

 

We had so much fun that we think we are going to make this an event that we do for every cruise.

 

This was the first batch, but we did a second batch later in the week and for some reason I don't think I got a picture of them.

 

IMG_2314%20copy-L.jpg

 

 

Even Kolin, my youngest son, joined in one night and had some fun coming up with ideas to paint.

 

IMG_2406%20copy-L.jpg

 

I guess people have groups all over the place that paint rocks and they leave them in areas for others to find. They either keep them or move them somewhere else. I believe they are meant to brighten someone's day. So, hopefully we would be able to do that for several people on the cruise.

Edited by SeaHunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mom says said:

That seems more like littering to me. I've seen similar stunts where people were leaving these things in national parks or on beaches. No bueno.

Littering?  I don’t think so but respect your opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TeaBag said:

The rocks or the ducks?  Wouldn't be too cool to hit a rock on the way out!

Not the ducks. And not sure what you mean by “hit a rock on the way out”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have seen ducks in an elevator and thought a child lost a toy.

Have seen rocks near public places on land (near a park bench for example)

 

I HOPE this doesn't start on ships.

It is something crew will have to pick up/move/dispose of just like the ducks. 

The crew/staff do not need more work 

Am not sure island residents will find leaving these around their ports/island/beaches etc inspiring or if will be seen as trash/marring the beaches/scars on the mt so to speak.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Have seen ducks in an elevator and thought a child lost a toy.

Have seen rocks near public places on land (near a park bench for example)

 

I HOPE this doesn't start on ships.

It is something crew will have to pick up/move/dispose of just like the ducks. 

The crew/staff do not need more work 

Am not sure island residents will find leaving these around their ports/island/beaches etc inspiring or if will be seen as trash/marring the beaches/scars on the mt so to speak.

 

Appreciate the insight.  Def. don't want to make more work for the crew.  Not sure I see the rocks as scarring the scenery...at least that's not the intent behind it as far as I can gather.  Good to think about though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Appreciate the insight.  Def. don't want to make more work for the crew.  Not sure I see the rocks as scarring the scenery...at least that's not the intent behind it as far as I can gather.  Good to think about though!

I see them here and there and think they can be charming as long as the message/pic doesn't have an agenda (if you know what I mean)

Happy painting 🎗️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I first saw painted rocks at a Mexican Pacific coast port town, but these were a fund raiser started by a visiting Rotary Club to raise money for an impoverished inland town.  The Rotarians brought painting supplies and had the children collect and paint the rocks which were then brought to the port area for sale!

 

I still have mine about 15 years later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeorgesGal said:

I first saw painted rocks at a Mexican Pacific coast port town, but these were a fund raiser started by a visiting Rotary Club to raise money for an impoverished inland town.  The Rotarians brought painting supplies and had the children collect and paint the rocks which were then brought to the port area for sale!

 

I still have mine about 15 years later.

Very cool story!  I know some may have a concern about "littering up the area" or even creating more work for cruise ship crew, but I think that if done correctly, something as simple as a painted rock has the potential to make someone's day or even make wide gaps around the world feel a little less wide.  😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is w this need to leave all sorts of stupid stuff scattered all over the ship for other people to find.  Surely people must have something more interesting to do with their time as opposed to spending it looking for rubber ducks or painted rocks..

 

DON

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2019 at 2:39 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

I was actually more interested in leaving them behind in ports of call than on the ship itself.

Pretty as they may be (in some eyes), they really do detract when placed where they don't belong.

 

I found a lime green rock at the entrance to the Golden Spike National Historic Site.  VERY out of place.  My first instinct was to throw it as far as I could, but that would have just moved it to another place it didn't belong.  I decided the trash can was more appropriate.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to leave these rocks, do it in your own neighborhood.  Please don't leave them in public places, especially beautiful beaches, national parks, etc., because it really is litter and ruins the scenery for many who love nature and are not interested in items like these that ruin it for others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

If you want to leave these rocks, do it in your own neighborhood.  Please don't leave them in public places, especially beautiful beaches, national parks, etc., because it really is litter and ruins the scenery for many who love nature and are not interested in items like these that ruin it for others. 

What's the phrase: leave nothing but your footprints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, clo said:

What's the phrase: leave nothing but your footprints.

It is "take only pictures, leave only footprints".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...