Punta Gorda Rocking: A New Cruise Craze?

Georgia_Peaches

Many of you may be aware of the yellow rubber duck craze that swept across some cruise ships in which fellow cruisers leave the ducks in unsuspecting places for others to find and collect.  Was wondering if anyone was aware of the Punta Gorda Rocking culture (aka. Kindness Rocks) that seems to be gaining popularity among many travel groups...just not sure if any of these unique pieces have made they way on any Celebrity ships.  More on this can be found on social media.  Here's a few pics...was thinking about bringing a few along on my upcoming cruise.

rock 1.jpg

rock 2.jpg

rock 3.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I was actually more interested in leaving them behind in ports of call than on the ship itself.

That seems more like littering to me. I've seen similar stunts where people were leaving these things in national parks or on beaches. No bueno.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I was actually more interested in leaving them behind in ports of call than on the ship itself.

I have actually found several of these and its so neat to post my findings to the matching FB site and find out where the rock originated.  I have thoroughly enjoyed finding/re-hiding them, and certainly did not consider it 'litter'  It started out as a rock, it still IS a rock.....Rocks are everywhere, just these got a little TLC..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This reminded me of a Mitsugirly (Kim) review from a while ago :classic_wink: 

I searched and actually found it - not on Celebrity, but back in 2017 on the Carnival Magic (post #7)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2477205-i-belize-in-magic-mitsugirly-revisits-the-western-route-my-novel/

She posted:

Ok, next deadline for that week....Friendship/kindness rock painting. What? Never heard of it. However, there were a few people on our roll call for this cruise that does this and posted their rocks. I instantly fell in love...and thought this was right up Sakari's alley! I showed her and she immediately wanted to do some for the cruise.

We headed out to buy the supplies and came home that night and started painting.

IMG_2311%20copy-L.jpg

She was loving this new "artsy" thing to do.

IMG_2312%20copy-L.jpg

We had so much fun that we think we are going to make this an event that we do for every cruise.

This was the first batch, but we did a second batch later in the week and for some reason I don't think I got a picture of them.

IMG_2314%20copy-L.jpg

Even Kolin, my youngest son, joined in one night and had some fun coming up with ideas to paint.

IMG_2406%20copy-L.jpg

I guess people have groups all over the place that paint rocks and they leave them in areas for others to find. They either keep them or move them somewhere else. I believe they are meant to brighten someone's day. So, hopefully we would be able to do that for several people on the cruise.

Edited by SeaHunt
  • Like 2

Have seen ducks in an elevator and thought a child lost a toy.

Have seen rocks near public places on land (near a park bench for example)

I HOPE this doesn't start on ships.

It is something crew will have to pick up/move/dispose of just like the ducks. 

The crew/staff do not need more work 

Am not sure island residents will find leaving these around their ports/island/beaches etc inspiring or if will be seen as trash/marring the beaches/scars on the mt so to speak.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Have seen ducks in an elevator and thought a child lost a toy.

Have seen rocks near public places on land (near a park bench for example)

I HOPE this doesn't start on ships.

It is something crew will have to pick up/move/dispose of just like the ducks. 

The crew/staff do not need more work 

Am not sure island residents will find leaving these around their ports/island/beaches etc inspiring or if will be seen as trash/marring the beaches/scars on the mt so to speak.

Appreciate the insight.  Def. don't want to make more work for the crew.  Not sure I see the rocks as scarring the scenery...at least that's not the intent behind it as far as I can gather.  Good to think about though!

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Appreciate the insight.  Def. don't want to make more work for the crew.  Not sure I see the rocks as scarring the scenery...at least that's not the intent behind it as far as I can gather.  Good to think about though!

I see them here and there and think they can be charming as long as the message/pic doesn't have an agenda (if you know what I mean)

Happy painting 🎗️

• Like 1

I first saw painted rocks at a Mexican Pacific coast port town, but these were a fund raiser started by a visiting Rotary Club to raise money for an impoverished inland town.  The Rotarians brought painting supplies and had the children collect and paint the rocks which were then brought to the port area for sale!

I still have mine about 15 years later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgesGal said:

I first saw painted rocks at a Mexican Pacific coast port town, but these were a fund raiser started by a visiting Rotary Club to raise money for an impoverished inland town.  The Rotarians brought painting supplies and had the children collect and paint the rocks which were then brought to the port area for sale!

I still have mine about 15 years later.

Very cool story!  I know some may have a concern about "littering up the area" or even creating more work for cruise ship crew, but I think that if done correctly, something as simple as a painted rock has the potential to make someone's day or even make wide gaps around the world feel a little less wide.  😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What is w this need to leave all sorts of stupid stuff scattered all over the ship for other people to find.  Surely people must have something more interesting to do with their time as opposed to spending it looking for rubber ducks or painted rocks..

DON

• Like 4

On 10/29/2019 at 2:39 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Pretty as they may be (in some eyes), they really do detract when placed where they don't belong.

I found a lime green rock at the entrance to the Golden Spike National Historic Site.  VERY out of place.  My first instinct was to throw it as far as I could, but that would have just moved it to another place it didn't belong.  I decided the trash can was more appropriate.

• Like 3

If you want to leave these rocks, do it in your own neighborhood.  Please don't leave them in public places, especially beautiful beaches, national parks, etc., because it really is litter and ruins the scenery for many who love nature and are not interested in items like these that ruin it for others. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

If you want to leave these rocks, do it in your own neighborhood.  Please don't leave them in public places, especially beautiful beaches, national parks, etc., because it really is litter and ruins the scenery for many who love nature and are not interested in items like these that ruin it for others. 

What's the phrase: leave nothing but your footprints.

• Like 1