AT&T Cell Phone Package for Sea Days

mikjr

Greetings...  We're going on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii with 11 sea days.   We have taken this trip many times, but this time I'm considering buying a CELL PHONE packed from AT&T.

Has anyone every purchased AT&T's cell phone package for their cruise?   They offer two: $50 for 50 minutes talk time, or $100 for unlimited talk time.  Both feature unlimited texting.  

YES... I know... I'm on vacation, but I am also self employed and own a business.  

thanks

• Like 1

I've used Cellular at Sea before, and the only charges I've incurred have been that of AT&T PER minute charge.  I believe AT&T charges $2.50 per minute, other than that, I have never received any charges from the SHIP itself.  

So, at $2.50 per minute, I could talk for 20 minutes and come out even at the $50 price, anything over 20, and I'm paying extra and should probably go with the $100 unlimited talk.  

Just now, CineGraphic said:

If you have an iphone, you can make calls via wifi with wifi-assist turned on. Make sure your phone is in airplane mode, and of course, you'll need a wifi package from Princess.

Cine...  I do have an iPhone, and have done that in the past, and that sure is an option.  I get 250 minutes in internet time, but I try and save that for my email checks.   that's why I am looking into the ATT program

I have done it and it was great, just as promised.  They did not have the $100 option at the time.  I would have done that if I could. I did not purchase a package on my last cruise and regretted it as I had technical difficulties connecting to FaceTime to check in at home.

11 minutes ago, mikjr said:

Cine...  I do have an iPhone, and have done that in the past, and that sure is an option.  I get 250 minutes in internet time, but I try and save that for my email checks.   that's why I am looking into the ATT program

Trade in your free minutes on embarkation day and buy the unlimited package, it's $112.50 for a 15 day cruise. For a few bucks more than AT&T, you'll be connected the whole time you are on the ship. No worrying about logging out.

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 2.56.50 PM.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Trade in your free minutes on embarkation day and buy the unlimited package, it's $112.50 for a 15 day cruise. For a few bucks more than AT&T, you'll be connected the whole time you are on the ship. No worrying about logging out.

Now there's an idea!!  Does the WiFi reception work as good as the cellular at sea network?  AND, would I be able to also receive calls through their WiFi?  

Thanks for the info... that's something to think about.  I have a few days before I leave

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

It's great if your ship is equipped with Medallion Net.

Unfortunately, The STAR is not a Medallion ship.  Yes... I have heard the Medallion connection is great

3 hours ago, mikjr said:

Greetings...  We're going on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii with 11 sea days.   We have taken this trip many times, but this time I'm considering buying a CELL PHONE packed from AT&T.

Has anyone every purchased AT&T's cell phone package for their cruise?   They offer two: $50 for 50 minutes talk time, or $100 for unlimited talk time.  Both feature unlimited texting.  

YES... I know... I'm on vacation, but I am also self employed and own a business.  

thanks

We used the AT&T package earlier this year and it worked great. My only issue was at that time you had to call AT&T to sign up, it wasn't available as an on-line option. Don't know if that's still the case.

We're getting ready to go on a B2B on the Pacific Princess on December 5 and will definitely have that package on one of our phones. Might start it a day late as the combined cruises are 31 days and the package is only 30 days. The second leg of our B2B is in the Caribbean and the package also includes many of the islands on shore.

I am going on a cruise next week and have signed up for the $50 AT&T offer of 50 minutes talk time and unlimited texting.  Since the cell phone equipment on the ship bills through your cell phone carrier (AT&T in my case) that will be the only charge if I keep calls at 50 minutes which I no doubt will do.  I am checking this out on a 15 day cruise to see how it works.  It will be fun to communicate via text with my family from the ship while I spend my kid's inheritance.  

9 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

I am going on a cruise next week and have signed up for the $50 AT&T offer of 50 minutes talk time and unlimited texting.  Since the cell phone equipment on the ship bills through your cell phone carrier (AT&T in my case) that will be the only charge if I keep calls at 50 minutes which I no doubt will do.  I am checking this out on a 15 day cruise to see how it works.  It will be fun to communicate via text with my family from the ship while I spend my kid's inheritance.  

are you also on the Star out of LA to Hawaii leaving 11/4??   that's the one we'll be on