British Airways--business vs first?

hiccups

Someone posted on the Oceania board that BA has some good prices for next year.  Does anyone have any input regarding BA's first and business class?  Looks like the long haul flights would be in either a 777 or 747 from JFK to LHR (although ORD and PHL are also coming up as options, depending on the dates we travel, and possibly which class we select).  It looks like both classes are flatbed seats, but first is better quality, based on the website.  I think lounge access is different, but that likely won't matter for us.  The price differential is about $400 PP.

Our only business class travel experience is in United Polaris, so that's our reference point.  If BA business is similar to that, we'd be fine.

Edited by hiccups

40 minutes ago, hiccups said:

Someone posted on the Oceania board that BA has some good prices for next year.  Does anyone have any input regarding BA's first and business class?  Looks like the long haul flights would be in either a 777 or 747 from JFK to LHR (although ORD and PHL are also coming up as options, depending on the dates we travel, and possibly which class we select).  It looks like both classes are flatbed seats, but first is better quality, based on the website.  I think lounge access is different, but that likely won't matter for us.  The price differential is about $400 PP.

Our only business class travel experience is in United Polaris, so that's our reference point.  If BA business is similar to that, we'd be fine.

I fly BA regularly in Business, and rarely in First when I get upgraded. They're both fine...not top notch, but not the worst by any means. 

On the 747, Business class is better if you can get an upper deck seat in my opinion. But in any case, you have a lie flat seat in both Business and First on either 747 or 777, inflight entertainment is fine, food is fine, service can be inconsistent but usually good. Like I said, BA isn't the best at either Business or First, but is a comfortable enough product. 

Personally, for what is a relatively short flight, I would save the $400pp and spend it elsewhere. Even though that's a shockingly small amount for a Business to First bump, it's still a decent amount of money that you can likely build better, longer lasting memories with somewhere else. 

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zach1213 said:

I fly BA regularly in Business, and rarely in First when I get upgraded. They're both fine...not top notch, but not the worst by any means. 

On the 747, Business class is better if you can get an upper deck seat in my opinion. But in any case, you have a lie flat seat in both Business and First on either 747 or 777, inflight entertainment is fine, food is fine, service can be inconsistent but usually good. Like I said, BA isn't the best at either Business or First, but is a comfortable enough product. 

Personally, for what is a relatively short flight, I would save the $400pp and spend it elsewhere.

Thank you for the input.  My instinct was we'd be fine with business, and we could put the money towards our hotel stay.  The PE seats at about half the cost of business are tempting, but I think business will win out.

42 minutes ago, hiccups said:

We've only flown DEN-LHR on the 747, and we weren't overly impressed. Yes, the seats were lie flat, but not particularly comfortable. It was extremely awkward trying to balance while climbing over another seat when exiting your seat, and juggling a dinner tray over the window and across another passenger was a little dicey, especially with drinks on the tray.

Just now, WildBlueYonder64 said:

We've only flown DEN-LHR on the 747, and we weren't overly impressed. Yes, the seats were lie flat, but not particularly comfortable. It was extremely awkward trying to balance while climbing over another seat when exiting your seat, and juggling a dinner tray over the window and across another passenger was a little dicey, especially with drinks on the tray.

I've read about that issue.  I guess BA is in the process of upgrading the business seats, but it's going to take awhile.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention - are you sure the BA flights are actually BA? The 747 flights definitely are, but BA and AA codeshare (and financially operate together on a joint venture) between the US and UK, so some of the 777 flights may be on AA. 

IF SO, I would actually recommend this. AA's business class on their 777s between JFK and LHR are better than BA's...all have aisle access, more comfortable lie-flat beds (in my opinion). Service and food are often slightly less on AA than BA, but I've had fantastic experiences and terrible experiences on both. So, do see if you can get Business Class on an AA 777 (-300 or -200) nonstop JFK-LHR. 

One other option I want to point out is the daytime JFK-LHR flights, that leave JFK in the morning and arrive in to LHR in the evening. You'll need to add another night of hotel, but I try to take these daytime flights as often as possible because they do wonders for jet lag since you fly through the day and then can get a good night's sleep in a real hotel in London, instead of on an aircraft. 

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

One other option I want to point out is the daytime JFK-LHR flights, that leave JFK in the morning and arrive in to LHR in the evening. You'll need to add another night of hotel, but I try to take these daytime flights as often as possible because they do wonders for jet lag since you fly through the day and then can get a good night's sleep in a real hotel in London, instead of on an aircraft. 

I'll check out the codeshare--thanks!  We did the day flight two years ago on AA in PE and it worked a lot better for my husband than the overnight flight.  We paid about $400 more PP for PE, which for me, wasn't worth it.  I had the bulkhead seat next to the door and my feet were SO cold.  I put a bottle of water down there, and it was frozen in a couple hours!  I brought extra socks for the return flight.

ETA:  Just checked, and you're right, several are on AA.

Edited by hiccups

14 minutes ago, hiccups said:

ETA:  Just checked, and you're right, several are on AA.

So, if it were me, I would definitely do Business on an AA 777 aircraft. The center two seats are great for couples as each of you still has aisle access but are still next to each other (with a divider). AA gets a bad reputation at times (and sometimes rightly so), but that Business product is definitely better than what BA offers on the route. 

• Thanks 1

Don't know when the OP is flying, but the 10:30 AM departure on AA next spring/summer is run with 777-200s, which don't have first class.  In my experience this can actually be preferable in that without FC, the service in business class is elevated (more FAs per passenger, I suspect.)  

I also MUCH prefer the daytime flights in business class; the overnight ones don't give you anywhere enough time to sleep on JFK-LHR, while in the daytime you can enjoy the service and perks.  I usually stay at one of the Bath Road hotels across from the airport (Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Marriott) and don't recall ever spending more than US$120 for a 4-star hotel.  The next day I'm good to go.

• Thanks 1

JFK is good place to fly BA First from. It's my home airport and I have extensive experience flying First and Club World from here, as well as from when I lived in Washington DC for 10yrs prior to moving here.

JFK has its own Concorde Room and "wing" for First passengers that funnels you through a fast security line. The Concorde Room has roving waiters (often toting champagne) and a sit down dining area. Compared to the other BA lounges at JFK it's very quiet, although when the rush of evening departures are leaving it can be quite busy.

Club World is very good if you are on the upper deck of the 747 as you have large window storage bins and in certain seats  (62A/K and 64A/K are the best but coveted by regular flyers) and give you direct aisle access. Crews should be serving around the back of the seat if you have the divider up between you and your seatmate. The seats are actually decent for couples because the ying-yang design means you are facing one another in a more natural position which is good for extended conversation.  In First you'll be in the nose and unless you have oneworld Emerald status row 1 will be off limits. Row 2 is the best for a couple, IMO, avoid 4E/F and 5E/F as they're centre seats with limited storage space. 

If on the 777 I'll generally spring for First over Club World. The Club World cabin outside the 747 upper deck is not the best by a long shot with 2-4-2 seating compared to 1-2-1 in First. The cabin environment is just so much better with better bedding and more personalized service.

Food and beverage on JFK flights is catered by Do&Co and is a real step up. The business class food of today is a touch better than First was a few years ago, and either cabin will be streets ahead of anything I've had on United.

I've flown UA Global First (which was ahead of Polaris Business until it was withdrawn) and find BA to miles ahead of anything United offers in the First cabin. Polaris lounges are very nice business class lounges but I'm not a huge fan of the seat. I'd pick BA Club World on the upper deck ahead of Polaris, personally. 

• Thanks 1

We're pretty open on dates--right now looking at sometime in April or May.  Tentatively I was looking at either the week of Memorial Day, or the week before, as we're trying to coordinate to meet up with some friends from Australia we met on a cruise several years ago.

It seems no matter what dates or days of the week I select, though, the daytime flights aren't coming up.  That could be why the prices are good!  Business class is between $1160-$1450 depending on the dates.

12 hours ago, fbgd said:

JFK is good place to fly BA First from.

I agree with you except for the price.

I have a brother who lives outside New York and if I shall visit him alone First could be an option. The problem is that LHR-JFK-LHR normally cost much more than the much longer flights to California and I don't want to pay that much for such short flights! I can affoed it but I don't want to pay much more for a shorter flight!

When travelling with my wife I prefer Club World because of the cabin layout. 

Edited by sverigecruiser

6 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I agree with you except for the price.

I have a brother who lives outside New York and if I shall visit him alone First could be an option. The problem is that LHR-JFK-LHR normally cost much more than the much longer flights to California and I don't want to pay that much for such short flights! I can affoed it but I don't want to pay much more for a shorter flight!

When travelling with my wife I prefer Club World because of the cabin layout. 

The beauty of supply and demand, eh?

My brother lives on the island of Jersey and so one of my regular routes is JFK-LON-JER-LON-JER. I've paid as low as $3000 return in First for that compared to more than double that for just JFK-LON-JFK on the same dates. As someone who takes an interest in such things I understand the pricing but the first time I did JFK-LON-JER-LON-JER-LON-JFK over 10 days when combining visits to my brother and family on the mainland it did need some explaining 😄 Luckily the timing works well because I can spend the weekends that bookend the trip on Jersey with my brother, and the midweek with my semi-retired parents and grandparents.

Well, because I was waiting to hear back from our friends I stupidly didn't book, and prices have jumped about $500 PP.  Still decent prices, but because they aren't the bargains they were yesterday, we'll pass for now.  I'm filing away all this information for next time, though!

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who fly through T7 often, what's the terminal like if you don't fly first or business and have a nice lounge to go to? I'm on the 7:55 AM flight to LHR, so I'll have to check in at an ungodly hour. But worth it for the day flight. PE on the 747 looks nice and Cunard had a good price.

19 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

For those of you who fly through T7 often, what's the terminal like if you don't fly first or business and have a nice lounge to go to? I'm on the 7:55 AM flight to LHR, so I'll have to check in at an ungodly hour. But worth it for the day flight. PE on the 747 looks nice and Cunard had a good price.

T7 is fine for departures. It’s quite small with a high density of shops and restaurant dining options. A ton of money has just been spent on sprucing it up so it looks alright.

Edited by fbgd

2 hours ago, fbgd said:

T7 is fine for departures. It’s quite small with a high density of shops and restaurant dining options. A ton of money has just been spent on sprucing it up so it looks alright.

Thanks! It's been ages since I've flown out of JFK, and the pictures I found online made it look like the main concourse of Penn Station.

Yes, it was a bit like that. Had a stuck in the 1970s feel to it for a while but the check-in area was redone a while ago, the main departures area post security is fine for the time being. The long term plan for JFK has T7 being pulled down.