QE/Q.V. In big waves

Windsurfboy

5 hours ago, cook68 said:

I am currently on board QV and looking at the forecast it is set to be even worse coming home than it was on the 3rd Nov. It was quiet bad for 2 days getting across the Solent and Bay of Biscay with people saying it had not been this bad before. For so long  I know it can change but 9,8 meter waives is not something I am looking forward to in any shape or form.  PS currently so windy in Lanzarote we’re  waiting a extra  hour before we sail away

7AE7E274-DE84-4BD2-BDDC-BC590FCC5827.png

We are also on the QV waiting in Lanzarote. Didn’t find the journey down too bad tbh but the crew told us the journey back up before we boarded was very rough. Wondering if we will make Lisbon though. Guess we just have to put our faith in the Captain.

Also on the QV here. Decent trip if a little miserable earlier in the trip.

Not looking forward to the return journey if we're looking at nearly 10 metre waves...

We are still in Lanzarote. We were supposed to depart at 5 or so. Will be annoyed if we miss Lisbon but it's life (and I've done it a load of times before).

Kind of wish I was on the qm2 here...

24 minutes ago, Ynox said:

Also on the QV here. Decent trip if a little miserable earlier in the trip.

Not looking forward to the return journey if we're looking at nearly 10 metre waves...

We are still in Lanzarote. We were supposed to depart at 5 or so. Will be annoyed if we miss Lisbon but it's life (and I've done it a load of times before).

Kind of wish I was on the qm2 here...

In the Yacht club at moment and no sign of any movement of the ship. Never been to Lisbon but due to go in April on the Atlantic Adventure.

Personally I suspect there is a bigger picture that will be revealed tomorrow. The winds seem to have eased off here in Lanzarote. All I ask is if Lisbon is dropped, please not Le Havre. We ended up there during the summer when our Guernsey one got diverted due to weather and I couldn’t stomach that on a cold November day.

edited to add that I wonder if this is anything to do with it

A37AD7F8-9BBE-44E9-BB5A-77485C4522CF.png

Edited by siforest65

We experienced 14 metre seas in P&O Arcadia ( Vista Class ship like QE and QV) when heading from Southampton to the Carribean (had to miss the Azores) . The Captain had no other option than to take the sea headon and had to slow the ship down to 10 knots. They asked us to stay inside our cabins for 24 hours. 

On our way home after disembarking QV That was one hell of a ride home, will fill in details later but suffice to say all on board quoted the worst sailing ever! nothing quit like hanging on to your dining table while the glasses slide. Then literally rolling around all night in your bed. 

Edited by cook68

1 hour ago, cook68 said:

On our way home after disembarking QV That was one hell of a ride home, will fill in details later but suffice to say all on board quoted the worst sailing ever! nothing quit like hanging on to your dining table while the glasses slide. Then literally rolling around all night in your bed. 

we were speaking to a group  very late last  night after the brilliant evening and they were at the front of the ship and said it was horrendous. We were midship and the pitching wasn’t too bad but the ship rolled enough to cause stuff to be thrown to the floor from the bedside tables.

yes, it was hang onto your wine on Thursday evening in the Britannia.

Edited by siforest65

1 hour ago, siforest65 said:

we were speaking to a group  very late last  night after the brilliant evening and they were at the front of the ship and said it was horrendous. We were midship and the pitching wasn’t too bad but the ship rolled enough to cause stuff to be thrown to the floor from the bedside tables.

yes, it was hang onto your wine on Thursday evening in the Britannia.

Yep. The sommelier seemed pretty annoyed. My table was right at the back of Britannia so we had plenty of movement. Excluding weather it was a great trip however.

Back on the QV in May for the Norway trip so hopefully the seas will be better then. 

3 minutes ago, Ynox said:

Yep. The sommelier seemed pretty annoyed. My table was right at the back of Britannia so we had plenty of movement. Excluding weather it was a great trip however.

Back on the QV in May for the Norway trip so hopefully the seas will be better then. 

It was a great cruise I thought. We are back on the QV in April for the Atlantic adventure so get to do Biscay again. Hopefully this time we will make Lisbon.

• Like 2

We were on deck 5 right at the front and my god did we feel it. Never slept a wink the first night or the 14th due to the noise of the ship crashing back into the water.  I am also sure the waves reached into deck 4 as we were getting a lot of spray as high as our balcony. I have read somewhere else that a deck 4 cabin had we carpet! I was not worried as such but the poor lady next door to us slept with her life jacket by the bed she was so frightened we were going to tip over. The Captain said we had been in a nine meter swell. We were also sailing in a severe weather category which did hit hurricane level wind speed one point. We were also right at the back of Britannia dining room and the Thursday night was hilarious watching everyone clutching tables and catching glasses. The poor staff I have no idea how they did it keeping everything running as well as they did. Hats of to them. I had to apologies as I carried my shoes in and out of the dining room and walked in barefoot. It was that or crawl on hands and knees if I was meant to keep them on! 
We are all currently feeling quiet dizzy and feel queasy. I think it is going to take a few days to get our sea legs back. All the staff we spoke to said this was the worst they had seen and seasoned passengers  said the same. A 50th birthday my hubby will never forget. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cook68 said:

We were on deck 5 right at the front and my god did we feel it. Never slept a wink the first night or the 14th due to the noise of the ship crashing back into the water.  I am also sure the waves reached into deck 4 as we were getting a lot of spray as high as our balcony. I have read somewhere else that a deck 4 cabin had we carpet! I was not worried as such but the poor lady next door to us slept with her life jacket by the bed she was so frightened we were going to tip over. The Captain said we had been in a nine meter swell. We were also sailing in a severe weather category which did hit hurricane level wind speed one point. We were also right at the back of Britannia dining room and the Thursday night was hilarious watching everyone clutching tables and catching glasses. The poor staff I have no idea how they did it keeping everything running as well as they did. Hats of to them. I had to apologies as I carried my shoes in and out of the dining room and walked in barefoot. It was that or crawl on hands and knees if I was meant to keep them on! 
We are all currently feeling quiet dizzy and feel queasy. I think it is going to take a few days to get our sea legs back. All the staff we spoke to said this was the worst they had seen and seasoned passengers  said the same. A 50th birthday my hubby will never forget. 

a very informative post . Luckily for us, midship was far more comfortable during the night although the roll

was a bit unnerving and has reinforced to me why we pick a cabin and say no to upgrade. We did sit in the theatre for the movie on the Wednesday and Thursday and it was pretty noisy and a lot of pitching in there, in fact on one day we left.  That dining on the Thursday evening was interesting and we were not too far back in the Britannia so again didn’t get the extreme motion you experienced.

I've only traveled on QM2 so I haven't experienced QE or QV which, although their design was modified to make them better able to handle rough seas, are still ultimately Vista class cruise ships. 

On QM2 I have been in pretty rough seas (last December we were skirting storms and were jumping around between Beaufort scale 8, 9 and 10 a lot of the trip. This did result in decks being closed a lot but as to her ride she was pretty stable - surprisingly so for the conditions. 

2 hours ago, siforest65 said:

Anyone know how QV is? All sites I’ve checked show her still in Southampton but was scheduled to leave 3 hours ago.

delayed arrival of fuel barge which according to AIS only arrived at approx. 1800 having left Zeebrugge at 0330 today

• Thanks 1

For my husbands birthday in December we've booked the Atlantic adventure on QV and I want to try the  grills cabins on deck 8 aft as they look really nice. We were on QE last year when the weather in bay of Biscay was rough enough for the waiters in the commodore club to steer you to your seat.  We weren't seasick but I think I've possibly made a mistake in booking these cabins in December. Has anyone sailed in these cabins in rough winter weather. We will stick with the booking but it would be useful to know what I've let us in for. 

Edited by Aspidestra99
added QV

On 11/16/2019 at 6:59 PM, cook68 said:

Yes it was the most 'movement' we have experienced on QV also.  That now infamous Thursday night it was the first time we have had an evening in the Queens Room where for the first couple of hours Alex the dance pro was dancing/teaching and keeping everything very very small, and not many others on the floor - and looking quite controlled. The orchestra did well to keep playing without their instruments shooting across the musician's platform! A few couples tried to get on the floor and lasted about 30 seconds before staggering back to their table/chairs - most amusing.  But it was a lovely social evening with those random sideways bumps in response to large waves hitting the side of the bow causing interesting postural stances by everyone on board.  Though it was nice to have the last day in the English channel as smooth as glass before getting home.

The lovely detailed book by Dr. Stephen Payne about the design of the QM2 (RMS Queen Mary 2- Haynes Publishing- 2014/18) they sell onboard has a section about the design decisions they made.  Stephen had to convince the Carnival Board to cough up the extra money to build a sturdy real ocean liner and not a pretend one.  He used photos of storm damaged cruise ships.     

In a bumpy trip across the Bay of Biscay I was reminded of World War 2 and all the top heavy landing craft (LST) that were moved to and from the Med in those waters.  

Edited by ew101