Upgrade After Final Payment and the Price is Lower

bilyclub

3 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

Did something change ?  I had the same thing happen at the beginning of the year had I got money back. I did use a travel agent for that cruise. This time I booked direct.  

It's been that way for several years

I have upgraded due to price drop after final payment where the upgrade price was less than I paid.  No refund was made.  Had this happen twice.

this is the normal practice.  I also asked about a refund. One with agent and one direct with rccl.

I have seen one report of someone who got a refund for the difference.

Everyone else has had NO refund.

Including me.  And we combined two cabins into a Royal Family Suite (now 2 bedroom Grand Suite), and it was several THOUSAND less.  And got NOTHING.  Not even a token $100 OBC.

From what I have read, and experienced, you will not get credit or refund.  However, if the price drops enough, you can upgrade to better cabin for little to no extra.  We got very lucky on one cruise and upgraded from one panoramic ocean view to two connecting balconies for about $100 for all four of us.  

41 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

Do they give money back or OBC if you upgrade after final payment and the price is lower than what you already paid?

After final payment date, the only way to get credit is if you see a lower price within 48 hours of the initial booking.

27 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

He worked for a very big agency that does a lot of business with Royal.  

If the price drop was not less than 48 hours after you booked someone at Royal made a mistake in giving you money back.  It would have nothing to do with your TA

Edited by molly361

1 hour ago, bilyclub said:

He worked for a very big agency that does a lot of business with Royal.  

Has nothing to do with it. There are no price reductions after final payment. The computer won't allow it, period. Your circumstances are unknown and your refund for whatever reason is not the norm.

2 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Has nothing to do with it. There are no price reductions after final payment. The computer won't allow it, period. Your circumstances are unknown and your refund for whatever reason is not the norm.

I booked an interior in December for the same price as the Royal website. I saw the prices take a big drop around Christmas and had him call to upgrade to balcony. They gave me exactly $296.90 back and I lost $25 OBC.  Would have been happy with just the upgrade, but wasn't going to say no to a refund.. I called for an upgrade today on my latest cruise and didn't get anything back. I asked on here to be sure, since my prior experience was different then what Royal was telling me. I never once said it was the norm.  I would imagine what the computer does or doesn't do can always be overridden by somebody high enough up the chain.    Thank you all for the input. The numbers from the invoice are below.

Price Total 585.00
Total NCCF (port charges) 380.00
Taxes/Fees 202.62
Total (USD) 1,167.62
Amount Paid 1,464.52
Balance Due -296.90

4 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

I booked an interior in December for the same price as the Royal website. I saw the prices take a big drop around Christmas and had him call to upgrade to balcony. They gave me exactly $296.90 back and I lost $25 OBC.  Would have been happy with just the upgrade, but wasn't going to say no to a refund.. I called for an upgrade today on my latest cruise and didn't get anything back. I asked on here to be sure, since my prior experience was different then what Royal was telling me. I never once said it was the norm.  I would imagine what the computer does or doesn't do can always be overridden by somebody high enough up the chain.    Thank you all for the input. The numbers from the invoice are below.

Price Total 585.00
Total NCCF (port charges) 380.00
Taxes/Fees 202.62
Total (USD) 1,167.62
Amount Paid 1,464.52
Balance Due -296.90

Just curious but did you actually see the refund of $296 on your credi5 card and if so who was it from.   That’s your TA’s invoice, not Royals.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just curios but did you actually see the refund of $296 on your credi5 card and if so who was it from. 

I was just checking myself to make sure I got it.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES 800-327-6700 FL -296.90

Just now, bilyclub said:

I was just checking myself to make sure I got it.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES 800-327-6700 FL -296.90

I’d say count your lucky dollars.  You are the preverbal one in a million.  

• Like 2

Same thing happened to me about 6 weeks ago and I have no idea why it did.  I upgraded our cabin a month after final payment was due and I ended up getting a $230 refund from Royal Caribbean on my credit card.  I sure wasn’t expecting it, I was just happy at the time for a room upgrade.  All I can figure is that someone must have made a mistake in my favor.

• Like 1