Solo woman ideas ...

Markmom18

Hi,

I'm cruising solo on a Carnival ship in April 2020.  My hubby will be working and won't be able to join me. We have been on land and cruise vacations to Cozumel for over the last 20 years, off 'n on. 

But, as a solo person, I'm just not sure what "to do". Oh, I'm early 60's, no longer drink alcohol and never did like fish. Even as a little girl .... so snorkeling ... nope! 

Looked into the Carnival Excursion going to Passion Island for a few hours. And, have gone to Resort For A Day.  Mr. Sanchos? Punta Sur? I want to stay on Cozumel, or nearby. PDC & Xcaret are destinations that I think need lots more time than allotted on a cruise day. 

Anyone with suggestions or past experiences that were positive, I'd love to read your comments.

Thank You,

🌻🌻

Bobbi

Cozumel Excursions has lots of options - there's a cooking class that gets great reviews.

Paradise Beach is a popular pay as you go beach club with great facilities, good food/service, and a HUGE pool.  Pair up with others on your roll call to share the cab ride (about $15-17 each way).  Even with the cab fare (and $3 admission/chair rental fee) should be less expensive than a day trip to Passion Island.

• Like 1

I did the Cozumel food tour last December solo.  The tour is small, there were only five of us with a guide and driver.  We made several good stops which everything was delicious.  The price is reasonable and its not an all day tour.

You also have the Cozumel photo tour.  Same thing, small group reasonable price.

Heading to Cozumel next month and trying the street art tour.

I hope this helps

• Like 2

3 hours ago, airlink diva said:

I did the Cozumel food tour last December solo.  The tour is small, there were only five of us with a guide and driver.  We made several good stops which everything was delicious.  The price is reasonable and its not an all day tour.

You also have the Cozumel photo tour.  Same thing, small group reasonable price.

I hope this helps

i would second these two suggestions.

Also if you like cooking and local cuisine I would suggest Cooking with Josefina which is also booked through Emily, Cozumel Chef who organizes the Food tour.

we did the original photo tour several years ago with Tati Biernas and I believe she has a few tours to choose from now.

• Like 1

What great ideas!  I have never even thought of a cooking Excursion, so that would definitely be something new. But, yeah, what the heck! 🙂🙂. I'll look into that further. 

Photo Tour??  Not so much. But, hey thanks for mentioning that option. Last, Paradise Beach?  Will need to look for more info. But, relaxing is always a pleasant Port Day too!

Thanks so much,

🌻🌻

Bobbi

Check out the Mayan Ball game excursion.  My son and I did it in Sept and it was really fun.  Lots of Mayan information and they played the ball game for us for about 20 minutes, not just a quickie demo like we expected.  It was fun.

Here is their video (no mine)

Hi,

That was a very well made video of the Mayan Ball Excursion. And actually after viewing the entire video, I don't have the "I need to experience this in person" feeling.

But, I do thank you for the suggestion. 🙂

🌻🌻

Bobbi 

• 4 weeks later...

I see from your avatar you are an animal lover.  If you don't find anything else that looks like a must do, you could go volunteer at the Cozumel Humane Society.  They love for visitors to come cuddle the kittens or walk the dogs.  It is about a 10-15 minute walk from port or a 5 minute taxi ride.  

• Like 1

We just visited the new beach club at Del Mar Latino which is a very small, adult- only, AI beach club with small pool. They have loungers on man-made beach area. It is within walking distance of International or Puerta Maya which is a bonus. I would be comfortable going there as a solo woman or we have also done a day pass to Park Royal.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 11:59 AM, airlink diva said:

I hope this helps

Interested in the street art tour in Coz. No reviews yet on TA. What did you think? 

On 12/25/2019 at 6:01 AM, bailey57 said:

Interested in the street art tour in Coz. No reviews yet on TA. What did you think? 

Hi! I did this tour and didn't during my sailing earlier this month.

Unfortunately I did a rookie mistake on my tour start time.  I fail to adjust for daylight saving time.  When I booked the tour in early fall, the time for both ship and Cozumel were the same.  But with daylight saving time, Cozumel was now a hour ahead in December.  I never checked back on this and realized my error once getting off the ship and seeing the clock with the local time a hour ahead.  I also learn that my basic phone ( I have a pre paid very basic cell phone) can not do phone calls outside the US and I had no way of contacting the tour guide.  When I got to a place with free wifi, I saw they had sent several emails (also had left messages) about me because the guide was at the meeting point.  I explained that I failed on my part with time.  So I didn't take the tour with them.

But I recalled with my travel group, someone did their own street art tour and I downloaded their intel and follow it.  I got to see quite a bit of art and enjoy a local park and people watch.  I next took a taxi to El Billy Asados for lunch.  OMG!  While its close to the pier, yet local.  Grill meats to hit the spot.  I got the sampler platter and couldn't eat it all!  Less than ten minutes from the pier.  Once I finish, headed back walked around, had a drink and went back on board.

Overall, it was a good day.  I never felt any issue with safety since everywhere I was, there were people around.  The park and where the art photos I took are close to the downtown pier and near shops.  El Billy was a short taxi ride.

When I return to Cozumel, which I do every year, might try again on the art tour.

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, airlink diva said:

Unfortunately I did a rookie mistake on my tour start time.  I fail to adjust for daylight saving time.  When I booked the tour in early fall, the time for both ship and Cozumel were the same.  But with daylight saving time, Cozumel was now a hour ahead in December.  I never checked back on this and realized my error once getting off the ship and seeing the clock with the local time a hour ahead.  I also learn that my basic phone ( I have a pre paid very basic cell phone) can not do phone calls outside the US and I had no way of contacting the tour guide.  When I got to a place with free wifi, I saw they had sent several emails (also had left messages) about me because the guide was at the meeting point.  I explained that I failed on my part with time.  So I didn't take the tour with them.

But I recalled with my travel group, someone did their own street art tour and I downloaded their intel and follow it.  I got to see quite a bit of art and enjoy a local park and people watch.  I next took a taxi to El Billy Asados for lunch.  OMG!  While its close to the pier, yet local.  Grill meats to hit the spot.  I got the sampler platter and couldn't eat it all!  Less than ten minutes from the pier.  Once I finish, headed back walked around, had a drink and went back on board.

Overall, it was a good day.  I never felt any issue with safety since everywhere I was, there were people around.  The park and where the art photos I took are close to the downtown pier and near shops.  El Billy was a short taxi ride.

When I return to Cozumel, which I do every year, might try again on the art tour.

Cozumel doesn’t do daylight savings it is on EST year round. Do you mean you travelled from central time and you were on daylight savings when you booked it and were now on CST, since clocks went back?

Has El Billy’s moved? I thought it was back on Avenida 65, or did you mean 10 minutes by taxi to Langosta?

4 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Cozumel doesn’t do daylight savings it is on EST year round. Do you mean you travelled from central time and you were on daylight savings when you booked it and were now on CST, since clocks went back?

Has El Billy’s moved? I thought it was back on Avenida 65, or did you mean 10 minutes by taxi to Langosta?

I know Cozumel don't do DLS.  I was in Cozumel in September and at that sailing both the ship and local time was the same.  But I didn't factor DLS on my end that while the time changed on my part, it didn't there.  That's why I stated made a rookie mistake of not factoring in the time.

As for the taxi, caught one near Mega and less than 10 minutes was at El Billy

31 minutes ago, airlink diva said:

I know Cozumel don't do DLS.  I was in Cozumel in September and at that sailing both the ship and local time was the same.  But I didn't factor DLS on my end that while the time changed on my part, it didn't there.  That's why I stated made a rookie mistake of not factoring in the time.

As for the taxi, caught one near Mega and less than 10 minutes was at El Billy

Thanks, so it is probably still on 65, back where the locals shop?

1 hour ago, airlink diva said:

Unfortunately I did a rookie mistake on my tour start time.  I fail to adjust for daylight saving time. 

Don't feel bad. I did the same thing in Cayman once. 🙂 Sounds like you made the best of it. Is that "intel" something you can share?