Upgrade question - imminent deadline

nonni2

We have that suite for our March cruise and we are really looking forward to it!  I upgraded from a balcony to a corner aft suite for our AK cruise this past year as a surprise to DH. But I think I let the genie out of the bottle with that surprise and it's going to be tough going back to balconies.  Thanks for your update. 

26 minutes ago, Billthekid said:

Does a person receive double nights on a upgrade or just the points you earn on the original booking? 

You only earn double points on a suite category if you orignally booked a suite category.  For example, if you booked a Vista Suite and upsold to a Neptune, you still get double points.  Conversely, if you booked a Veranda and upsold to a Vista or Neptune, you do not earn double points.

There is an exception to this - if you orginate the upsell by contacting HAL and paying the going normal rate to get to the suite category, you technically are changing your original booking to a suite, so you do get double points.

Edited by DaveOKC

I really don’t know. I’m pretty sure that a free upgrade doesn’t earn extra points. In our case, since it was an up sell, and a paid upgrade, I don’t know what rules apply. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will let us all know.

31 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

You only earn double points on a suite category if you orignally booked a suite category.  For example, if you booked a Vista Suite and upsold to a Neptune, you still get double points.  Conversely, if you booked a Veranda and upsold to a Vista or Neptune, you do not earn double points.

There is an exception to this - if you orginate the upsell by contacting HAL and paying the going normal rate to get to the suite category, you technically are changing your original booking to a suite, so you do get double points.

Rats!!!!  But, thank you, Dave OKC, for the clarification.

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I was also told by someone from HAL that I would have to call the Mariner's dept. after the cruise to get the double points when you upgrade your original booking to a "published fare" suite.  Has anyone else had to call for the double points?

Edited by slabeaume
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slabeaume said:

I was also told by someone from HAL that I would have to call the Mariner's dept. after the cruise to get the double points when you upgrade your original booking to a "published fare" suite.  Has anyone else had to call for the double points?

Yes,  that is what I had to do after I saw that we had initially did not get double points.  They looked up the booking and saw that we had upgraded to the published fare and made the change while I was on the phone with them.

• Like 1