Schiphol (Amsterdam) Airport - KLM - 1 Hour Between Flights

Coffeeluvr05

So, we fly KLM from California to Amsterdam and then switch planes (also KLM) and fly to Barcelona.  We have never flown into Amsterdam/Schiphol.  My overall experience flying tells me that I cannot be sure that my connecting flight may not be in the same gate area even when it is the same airline.  Those that have experience flying on KLM through Amsterdam/Schiphol, can you please weight in on this and let me know if an hour is sufficient?  Thanks!

Just, I am going to make the assumption that (a) this is all on one ticket, and (b) your LAX-AMS flight actually is KLM, and not a Delta flight codesharing as a KLM flight. You may want to be certain of the latter, as Delta flies LAX-AMS during the summers and does codeshare with KLM on the route. But KLM operates year-round with its own planes, too. 

One hour is a bit tight, especially if you're at the back of a big KLM 747-400. But Amsterdam is one of the few airports in Europe where it's not unreasonable to make that. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it's technically possible if your inbound LAX-AMS is ontime. 

You will need to clear both Schengen immigration (which will cover both Netherlands and Spain, leaving you with only a simple customs "check" in Barcelona) and re-clear security at AMS, in addition to transferring gates. 

Is this a case of you already having purchased the tickets and now asking, or are you asking in advance or purchasing? If the latter, I would urge you to consider a longer layover and KLM generally offers 4-6 nonstops AMS-BCN each day. 

• Like 1

Tickets purchased a long time ago.  It may be a codeshare flight (?) since our flight is Delta from Sacramento to LAX, then KLM (747 world business class, so we will be off plane first) from LAX to Amsterdam and to Barcelona.  The SMF to LAX flight says it is operated by Compass dba Delta Connection.  The LAX to Amsterdam says it is operated by KLM.  

2 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Tickets purchased a long time ago.

Don't worry - some people can't get enough lay-over time  - I'm always looking for the shortest time between flights - I have been flying through various airports to US very often - never had problems with short layover - if flight from US is delayed KLM will rebook you at a later flight that day. Just do not fly the same day as your cruise.

KLM or Delta code share doesn't matter - arrival at same terminal. Just go straight to your BCN departure gate - KLM will take care of you. Your luggage will be transferred direct to the BCN flight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Don't worry - some people can't get enough lay-over time  - I'm always looking for the shortest time between flights - I have been flying through various airports to US very often - never had problems with short layover - if flight from US is delayed KLM will rebook you at a later flight that day. Just do not fly the same day as your cruise.

KLM or Delta code share doesn't matter - arrival at same terminal. Just go straight to your BCN departure gate - KLM will take care of you. Your luggage will be transferred direct to the BCN flight.

I'm hardly one to promote excessive layover time. I travel to Europe monthly, and Asia/Australia even more...I live out of a suitcase, and any excessive layover time is time I am not at home. But it's not ridiculous for me to say "if you're at the back of a packed 747-400 with a one hour layover, even at Schipol, when you still need to go through immigration and security, that it's not ideal". 

And KLM vs Delta does matter because you need to know which airline to check in with...of course, now that OP says they're starting in SMF, it's a moot point, but they didn't provide that info at first. So Delta vs KLM may not matter as much at arrival, but at LAX it sure would be a pain to show up at the Delta counters to check in and find out you really need to be at the KLM counters, or vice versa. 

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Tickets purchased a long time ago.  It may be a codeshare flight (?) since our flight is Delta from Sacramento to LAX, then KLM (747 world business class, so we will be off plane first) from LAX to Amsterdam and to Barcelona.  The SMF to LAX flight says it is operated by Compass dba Delta Connection.  The LAX to Amsterdam says it is operated by KLM.  

LAX-AMS really could be either, if you're going over summer. The key is to know what your LAX-AMS flight number is. If it's KL602, it's on KLM...if it's KL6185, it's on Delta. 

• Like 1

I am flying in less than 2 weeks. So confusing.  All the flights have a "DL" not KL.  

I also called KLM just a bit ago and asked about my concern and the rep said it was fine, that according to their system I only need 15 minutes to make that connection in Amsterdam. 

Now I need to worry about where to go at LAX when I get there? I get very stressed out in airports, not afraid to fly, just hate the airport experience.  Any help is appreciated! 

15 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I am flying in less than 2 weeks. So confusing.  All the flights have a "DL" not KL.  

I also called KLM just a bit ago and asked about my concern and the rep said it was fine, that according to their system I only need 15 minutes to make that connection in Amsterdam. 

Now I need to worry about where to go at LAX when I get there? I get very stressed out in airports, not afraid to fly, just hate the airport experience.  Any help is appreciated! 

OK, let's simplify this a bit. Since DL and KL codeshare on seemingly everything, most of these will have both DL and KL flight numbers. The simple thing is that, as far as I know, DL isn't operating LAX-AMS right now since it's only a summer seasonal flight. So assuming LAX-AMS is DL9468, that's the KLM flight (KL602 is the actual flight number, DL9468 is the Delta codeshare number...same flight). 

So now that we know (or at least I am 99.9% sure) you are switching from DL to KL at LAX, we also know you'll need to switch from Terminal 3 (Delta) to the Tom Bradley Int'l Terminal (KLM). I have never done this transfer as I am not a Delta or KLM regular, let alone at LAX, I do not know if there is a secure (meaning you don't need to re-clear security) transfer option. I will leave that to someone else. If not, remember your bags will still transfer without you. And, if not, T3 and Tom Bradley are right next door to each other with an easy walk. 

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 1

You are very knowledgeable!  Thank you!  I'm going to try not to stress and just make sure I ask questions before I go gallivanting off to the wrong terminal and/or gate.  I am NOT too proud to ask for directions!

(sigh)...I think a private jet is the only solution to my problems.  😂

There is an Delta airside bus that transfers folks between T2, T3 and TBIT at LAX.  Just look for the sign that calls out your particular terminal.  You could arrive at either T2 or T3 from SMF, but both have the bus service at runs every few minutes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

So Delta vs KLM may not matter as much at arrival, but at LAX it sure would be a pain to show up at the Delta counters to check in and find out you really need to be at the KLM counters, or vice versa. 

I’m not a big fan of code sharing - booking one airline and ending up flying another airline - and in particular long haul. In my bookings it always saying ‘operated by’. However, my answer was only related to the question on sufficient time in AMS.

Just did LAX-AMS-BCN on KLM a couple of weeks ago, but with a 2 hour connection and in business class. I think your connection is quite tight, but probably doable if flight is on time. You have to be able to walk, though. The good news is there is only immigration, no additional security screening for the flight to BCN.

On 11/2/2019 at 12:16 AM, BBWC said:

Just did LAX-AMS-BCN on KLM a couple of weeks ago, but with a 2 hour connection and in business class. I think your connection is quite tight, but probably doable if flight is on time. You have to be able to walk, though. The good news is there is only immigration, no additional security screening for the flight to BCN.

I assume you were on the same aircraft we will be...747-400/combi? We are in the upper deck. Kind of a bucket list thing for me. How was it? 

On 11/1/2019 at 12:04 PM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

It may be a codeshare flight (?) since our flight is Delta from Sacramento to LAX, then KLM (747 world business class, so we will be off plane first) from LAX to Amsterdam and to Barcelona.  The SMF to LAX flight says it is operated by Compass dba Delta Connection.  The LAX to Amsterdam says it is operated by KLM.  

Delta doesn't fly any 747s anymore so even if you have a DL codeshare flight number, your LAX-AMS flight will be operated by KLM.

On 11/1/2019 at 2:27 PM, hallasm said:

Same terminal but AMS is somewhat spread out so it can still be a hike from gate to gate.

On 11/1/2019 at 2:33 PM, Zach1213 said:

LAX-AMS really could be either, if you're going over summer. The key is to know what your LAX-AMS flight number is. If it's KL602, it's on KLM...if it's KL6185, it's on Delta. 

The OP said they are on a 747 and that gives it away; Delta no longer flies any of those.

On 11/1/2019 at 2:42 PM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Yes, because it is a code share flight.  It has a KLM flight number, a DL flight number, and likely one or two others; I wouldn't be surprised to see a Korean Air flight number also scrolling across the board at AMS.  The ticket you bought provided that leg out of Delta's inventory for the flight so you have the DL flight number on your reservation.

On 11/1/2019 at 6:41 PM, love to cruz said:

Came home from the Baltics via Amsterdam last August. It is the longest, biggest airport we have ever been to. Makes JFK, Atlantic & LAX seems small. Signage is not great either. So allow ample time.

I actually think the signage at AMS is pretty good.  Also interesting to note that it is all in English only.  Not Dutch AND English, just English. 

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

I actually think the signage at AMS is pretty good.  Also interesting to note that it is all in English only.  Not Dutch AND English, just English. 

In fact, the signage expertise of KLM is one of the bright spots of the merger with AF, bringing some of that AMS clarity to CDG (which really needed it).

14 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I assume you were on the same aircraft we will be...747-400/combi? We are in the upper deck. Kind of a bucket list thing for me. How was it? 

No, we were on the second daily flight, which is a 777. Still nice, though.

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2019 at 12:55 PM, waterbug123 said:

Same terminal but AMS is somewhat spread out so it can still be a hike from gate to gate.

OK, we just had to change our flights for our trip next April and I need a little reassurance that we'll be fine. 

We're flying LAX-Amsterdam-Brussels.  We (in theory) are landing in Amsterdam at 12:20 and our flight to Brussels is at 1:45.

Is that enough time to go through immigration (or whatever we need to do)?

10 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

We're flying LAX-Amsterdam-Brussels.  We (in theory) are landing in Amsterdam at 12:20 and our flight to Brussels is at 1:45.

Yes, you’ll have plenty of time as long as one reservation. I have often done AMS as well as FRA with a 50 minutes layover. Schengen immigration and possible security - luggage will be checked through to BRU - customs in BRU.

Edited by hallasm

On 11/3/2019 at 3:55 PM, waterbug123 said:

I did business with Robeco, a major investment management company from Rotterdam. I indicated that all our business documents and meetings had to be in English. They told me that the "official" language of their firm was English. The ever-practical Dutch realized that they had to conform to their clients, not the other way around.

8 hours ago, hallasm said:

Yes, you’ll have plenty of time as long as one reservation. I have often done AMS as well as FRA with a 50 minutes layover. Schengen immigration and possible security - luggage will be checked through to BRU - customs in BRU.

Yes, it's one reservation.  Thank you.  

22 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

OK, we just had to change our flights for our trip next April and I need a little reassurance that we'll be fine. 

Is that enough time to go through immigration (or whatever we need to do)?

12 hours ago, hallasm said:

Probably enough time?  Boarding for your connecting flight will probably close around 1:35, so you have about 75 min.  You do need to go through passport control (immigration) but not customs, so no luggage to collect and recheck.  I don't *think* you have to clear security again but I can never remember.  Depending on where you're seated on your flight from LAX it could take some time to actually get off the aircraft and into the terminal but you should still have at least an hour once you do.  Don't dawdle in the terminal, at least not until after you've gone through the formalities.  Once you're at the gate, and assuming you still have some time, then you can go find the restroom or grab a drink or whatever you might need to do.    Personally, I try to go to the lavatory onboard just before the plane begins its descent, or just before the seatbelt sign goes back on for good.  That way I don't need to stop right away in the terminal, and can get as close to the front of any immigration/security lines as possible.

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

Probably enough time?  Boarding for your connecting flight will probably close around 1:35, so you have about 75 min.  You do need to go through passport control (immigration) but not customs, so no luggage to collect and recheck.  I don't *think* you have to clear security again but I can never remember.  Depending on where you're seated on your flight from LAX it could take some time to actually get off the aircraft and into the terminal but you should still have at least an hour once you do.  Don't dawdle in the terminal, at least not until after you've gone through the formalities.  Once you're at the gate, and assuming you still have some time, then you can go find the restroom or grab a drink or whatever you might need to do.    Personally, I try to go to the lavatory onboard just before the plane begins its descent, or just before the seatbelt sign goes back on for good.  That way I don't need to stop right away in the terminal, and can get as close to the front of any immigration/security lines as possible.

Yes, I always try to hit the toilet on the plane just before people start to be aware that we're descending.  And, happily, I don't need to hit every bathroom I pass when traveling.  I know, TMI 😁

I've only been in Schiphol once in recent years (this past summer), but we were flying Basel to LAX and had to change planes in Amsterdam.  So I knew the same procedure wouldn't have been repeated coming the other way.

I'll have to look into seats on the plane........