June 6, 2020 London (Greenwich) to Reykjavik

Elizaweaver

This is my husband and my first time on SS.  Want to thank Mysty from Canada for pointing me to this message board. Very excited to meet our fellow cruisers on this very unique cruise.

Can anyone please tell me about how to get shore excursions. On the last few cruises we have arranged with fellow cruises to do a few elaborate ones and we liked going with a small group.

Also wondering if SS will have any welcome aboard parties on the 1st night that we can attend.

• Like 1

Myster and I will be with you on this cruise.  Some very interesting ports!  If there is a quorum there may be a Meet and Mingle the first night or the night following.  Some of the Icelandic ports are small and tour options may be limited.  Just keep an open mind!  🙂

1 hour ago, Elizaweaver said:

This is my husband and my first time on SS.  Want to thank Mysty from Canada for pointing me to this message board. Very excited to meet our fellow cruisers on this very unique cruise.

Can anyone please tell me about how to get shore excursions. On the last few cruises we have arranged with fellow cruises to do a few elaborate ones and we liked going with a small group.

Also wondering if SS will have any welcome aboard parties on the 1st night that we can attend.

There is always a welcome aboard party immediately after the muster drill.

Excursions are available for booking online 120 days before departure on my.silversea.com

Enjoy your SS experience!

19 hours ago, Elizaweaver said:

This is my husband and my first time on SS.

Welcome to the SS forum of CC!  

Looks like you’ve received great advice from Mysty and Observer.  Another option for arranging excursions with like minded cruise passengers is to use the Roll Call feature here on CC  And, as long as you sign up for a Meet & Mingle here on CC and four other folks do as well, SS will arrange a private party for your group.

Have a wonderful time planning your voyage!

9 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Welcome to the SS forum of CC!  

Looks like you’ve received great advice from Mysty and Observer.  Another option for arranging excursions with like minded cruise passengers is to use the Roll Call feature here on CC  And, as long as you sign up for a Meet & Mingle here on CC and four other folks do as well, SS will arrange a private party for your group.

Have a wonderful time planning your voyage!

Thank you! Yes they are really helping me flow seamlessly into this cruise. Great advocates. I did signup for meet & Mingle, but there doesn’t seem to be much traffic to that function.  Will you be on this cruise? Warm regard.

• Like 1

Thank you! Yes they are really helping me flow seamlessly into this cruise. Great advocates. I did signup for meet & Mingle, but there doesn’t seem to be much traffic to that function.  Will you be on this cruise? Warm regard.

You’re welcome!  And, you’re right, typically not a lot of traffic, but small groups can be A LOT of fun.  We’re not on your voyage, but hang in there and maybe more people will signup as the time draws near.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Elizaweaver said:

Hope your meet and mingle works better than ours over the many years of travel on SS since m/m commenced. our record is 27 joined and only 3 happened!!

Sorry to hear that. How disappointing for you.

Have attended them on other cruiselines and was pleasantly surprised to see people we knew going on our trip. And we also got to meet other folks that we later would see in the dining rooms.

So it is definitely a good event.

We've met the 6-person minimum for the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle aboard your Silversea Cruise on the 2020-06-06 sailing of Silver Whisper. During the cruise, if you signed up you will receive an invitation delivered to your stateroom regarding the day, time, and location of the Meet & Mingle. In the meantime, you can meet your fellow cruisers on the Silversea Cruises forum online at our Cruise Critic community and invite them to join the get together when you click here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com

• Like 1

A small BTW - make sure you know how to get to Tilbury as well as Greenwich.

I have been scheduled to sail from Greenwich twice and haven't either time. The first time we were gazumped by Azamara, I had several months warning so I was able to research the trains etc. The second time the weather was too bad for the Whisper to make it up the river and I got the email only the night before that embarkation had changed to Tilbury - I was very glad that I already knew how to get there!

Also be aware that if you do embark at Greenwich, it's by tender, she ship is moored to Greenwich Ship Tier (you can see it on google maps, just upriver of Greenwich pier). There's a pop up tent shoreside to check in, I believe. Dunno how the embarkation goes, haven't done it.

The photo shows the Tier in the foreground with Greenwich pier in the background where the Cutty Sark masts are showing (taken when I sailed on the Wind from Tower Bridge, at least that embarkation worked fine).

Apologies if you already knew all this!

IMG_0517.JPG

Edited by jollyjones

You are quite right Jollyjones concerning the need to board The Whisper via a tender from Greenwich - we did likewise in June boarding The Spirit. It was an easy exercise in that we dropped off Large Luggage onto a Lorry at the entrance to The Cutty Sark Site and then walked to the Greenwich Ferry Dock and boarded a Tender, which only took a matter of minutes to reach The Ship. It all worked well with a minimum of fuss. It may be a little more frustrating should one encounter good old British rain !!!!

Thank you Jollyjones and Mayflower1. We are 211 days out from out cruise so there are many details we do not know about. When you have cruises with them what time do you need to arrive for a 1400 sailing from Greenwich?   

We sail out of Greenwich at 2:00 am on June 7.  You will board on June 6.  🙂   The Lady Whisper is scheduled to arrive in London Greenwich at 1:15 am on June 6.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mysty said:

We sail out of Greenwich at 2:00 am on June 7.  You will board on June 6.  🙂   The Lady Whisper is scheduled to arrive in London Greenwich at 1:15 am on June 6.  

Thank you for pointing that out.  Interesting. What time should we board? I’m trying to arrange transfer from our hotel to the ship.

Edited by Elizaweaver

Do we get specific cruise information mailed to us or do we look for it online next month? Am interesting in finding out about the shore excursions and prices. 

Also are there different seating for the Main Dining Room? If so, how do we request the seating times we’d like?

Thank you for your help.

9 hours ago, Elizaweaver said:

Do we get specific cruise information mailed to us or do we look for it online next month? Am interesting in finding out about the shore excursions and prices. 

There is a lot of general information available online now.  The link below might interest you:

https://www.silversea.com/travel-informations/general-information.html

From that page you can download the Setting Sail Guide for the Lady Whsiper.

The list of excursions offered and the prices will be available at the 180 day prior to sailing mark on MySilversea.

https://my.silversea.com/Account/LogOn?ReturnUrl=%2f

If you want to get an idea of what excursions might be offered (but not the prices) you can view them on the webpage describing the cruise under each port.

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/northern-europe-british-isles-cruise/london-to-reykjavik-wh200606012.html

I'm not sure what specific cruise information you are looking for though.

This cruise was not advertised as including free excursions so I don't think the tours will be "free".  If anyone has more information kindly add your two cents.  🙂 

Included excursions for a cruise are presented like this:

Capture1.JPG.8dbf3aa116988b653d205d65ab4f337b.JPG

Our cruise looks like this:

Capture2.JPG.720fd5af2292fdf9cffd638fa1945cab.JPG

Edited by mysty

Thanks Mysty, I was wondering the same thing as Elizaweaver.  It does take some of the fun out of picking excursions when you realize others are getting them for free.  But I know once on board we'll have fun and not give a d### - good for them and no harm to me.

Edited by QueSeraSera
minor

31 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Thanks Mysty, I was wondering the same thing as Elizaweaver.  It does take some of the fun out of picking excursions when you realize others are getting them for free.  But I know once on board we'll have fun and not give a d### - good for them and no harm to me.

Will you be on this cruise Que?  🙂  That would be cool!