Great Stirrup Cay cabanas questions..

big al

Hey all you people :classic_biggrin: that have stayed in one of the cabanas on GSC, I have a few questions:

1) I see there are 3 cabanas on the website: Silver Cove, large, and small cabanas..I will be on the Joy next Nov 2020, and there will be 6 adults total. The space is more important than the A/C one ( Silver Cove)..in other words, I like sitting OUTDOORS over looking the beach..any opinions on which type of cabana? I'm leaning towards the large one. Also, any specific number cabana with great views of the beach?

2) Is it true the price of the cabana you see on line ( say $400..) is the TOTAL price, not PP?

3) Does this include alcohol ( yes we have the beverage package)

4) Do you tip the staff for the cabana, and if so, how much?

5) I like the private buffet the cabana people, was it decent?

6) Any other tips would be greatly appreciated , this will be our first cabana..

Big Al

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2019 at 3:56 PM, big al said:

Hey all you people :classic_biggrin: that have stayed in one of the cabanas on GSC, I have a few questions:

1) I see there are 3 cabanas on the website: Silver Cove, large, and small cabanas..I will be on the Joy next Nov 2020, and there will be 6 adults total. The space is more important than the A/C one ( Silver Cove)..in other words, I like sitting OUTDOORS over looking the beach..any opinions on which type of cabana? I'm leaning towards the large one. Also, any specific number cabana with great views of the beach?

2) Is it true the price of the cabana you see on line ( say $400..) is the TOTAL price, not PP?

6) Any other tips would be greatly appreciated , this will be our first cabana..

Big Al

I just got off the phone with a rep from shore excursions.

My 1/19/20 sailing on Encore added GSC to its itinerary and I'm also interested in a large cabana.

Because the change of itinerary just happened, the excursions have not yet "populated" my sailing, so I cannot book anything yet. 

I do know that the cost of the large cabana is $299 for the day. Not pp or anything else. $299 total.

And yes, your drink package works the same as on the ship, which is a plus.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

I just got off the phone with a rep from shore excursions.

My 1/19/20 sailing on Encore added GSC to its itinerary and I'm also interested in a large cabana.

Because the change of itinerary just happened, the excursions have not yet "populated" my sailing, so I cannot book anything yet. 

I do know that the cost of the large cabana is $299 for the day. Not pp or anything else. $299 total.

And yes, your drink package works the same as on the ship, which is a plus.

Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We were just on GSC last week off Oceania Insignia and were upgraded from a cabana to a 1 bedroom villa due to construction.  The cabana had been $469 and the villa would have been $1200.  The villa's are cabana's on steroids.  We had A/C, fully stocked refrigerator, seperate bedroom with queen bed, living area with sofa, two TV's, and a full bathroom with shower.  On the patio was a table with chairs and two loungers.  We were steps from the ocean with four more loungers on the sand. 

There were about 20 villas located in the Silver Cove area.  It appeared there were villas without bedrooms, but the curtains were closed so we couldn't really tell.  There were also huge villas that appeared to be two bedroom that had six loungers, patio table for eight, and sofa with patio table.  Silver Cove had it's own reception area, bar, and attendants who brought us a ton of food and drinks.  Our villa was rated for ten people and there were only the two of us. 

Worth $1200 for six hours? Nope!  Upgraded for $469, priceless.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We were just on GSC last week off Oceania Insignia and were upgraded from a cabana to a 1 bedroom villa due to construction.  The cabana had been $469 and the villa would have been $1200.  The villa's are cabana's on steroids.  We had A/C, fully stocked refrigerator, seperate bedroom with queen bed, living area with sofa, two TV's, and a full bathroom with shower.  On the patio was a table with chairs and two loungers.  We were steps from the ocean with four more loungers on the sand. 

There were about 20 villas located in the Silver Cove area.  It appeared there were villas without bedrooms, but the curtains were closed so we couldn't really tell.  There were also huge villas that appeared to be two bedroom that had six loungers, patio table for eight, and sofa with patio table.  Silver Cove had it's own reception area, bar, and attendants who brought us a ton of food and drinks.  Our villa was rated for ten people and there were only the two of us. 

Good to know...good deal for you!

On 1/11/2020 at 12:44 AM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

When you say construction, what type of construction?  Have they tore down the cabana's in favor of the Villa's further on?

Curious as we are going in April.

They just told us "beach construction"  the cabana we reserved wasn't available.  They haven't torn anything down as we could still see the cabanas.  But there was some very loud construction sounds coming from the area.  You might get lucky and get upgraded like we did.    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 1:52 PM, ilovecrusin422 said:

We have a cabana in March. NCL - Bliss- the price is a lot more that you paid. I hope construction wont ruin the relaxing day.

The statement about "cost" above is extremely important to note!

Prices for Cabanas and Villas fluctuate tremendously depending on several factors ...primarily, "Supply" and "Demand!"

If you are traveling on a smaller ship (Sky, for example), during non-peak months (not holidays, nor "Spring Break") and it will be the only ship tendering in guests (YES, tenders only!), then the supply/demand differential in low.

However, IF you are traveling on an "Away," or "Away +" ship, AND/OR another ship is "sharing  GSC for the day, then you will pay considerably more for a cabana, or a villa.  Add the Holiday/Spring Break factors and you will pay even more!

If you CANNOT see Villas, (and/or Cabanas) listed in excursions, SPECIFICALLY, when logged into your MY NCL, then you will not be able to know the true cost for your sailing!  ONLY when they are actually posted in your MY NCL, will you know your availability/costs!   Also, SIZE matters!!!  If you watch NCL's video, you will get a better idea of true cost for the Villas!!!

(Further note, we have seen the prices go up for the same cruise as sailing date approaches.)

On 11/2/2019 at 2:56 PM, big al said:

Big Al

I don't imagine that NCL has opened up reservations for Great Stirrup Cay yet for November 2020.  Usually, that does not occur any sooner than 180 days prior (and often, even closer to sail date).

And you might be in for "sticker Shock!"

There are 3 sizes of VILLAS in Silver Cove.

The "CABANAS" are separate, and DO NOT share the same amenities as SILVER COVE VILLAS.
The price you see when logged into MY NCL for your specific cruise IS the price for each type of unit. Therefore, only one person in your party needs to book that unit!

...(Up to 2 additional people may be added, but that is done on board ship, or on island!)

Your drink package does work (up to it's onboard limitations) while on island!

YES, tipping for service on the island is customary and up to each person's discretion.

The "Private Buffet" is for the SILVER COVE VILLA guests only, so if you are in a Cabana, you will not go there.

*** Please read my previous post in regard to Costs vs "Supply and Demand"!

Edited by ggTexasGal
added note

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

I wonder how much over-all pricing will change by the time we next visit GSC!

I booked a cruise for next March, checked the villas prices 2 days ago,  and still the Silver Cove one bdrm is $599 for the day...

Big Al

38 minutes ago, big al said:

I booked a cruise for next March, checked the villas prices 2 days ago,  and still the Silver Cove one bdrm is $599 for the day...

Big Al

Hello Big Al,

Are the prices showing up in your "MY NCL - - Explore & Plan"?

Or, are you looking at the "generic"  EXPLORE - - Shore Excursions?

Lagoon 1-Bedroom Villa at Silver Cove on the generic site currently shows $899!

Depending on the time frame ("Spring Break ?"), ship (newer vs older), itinerary of your cruise, and how many ships will be at GSC that day, that price might escalate tremendously!

If any were showing in our itinerary for purchase right now, I'd go ahead and purchase one.  

Sadly, nothing for GSC is showing for purchase yet for our itinerary!

Edited by ggTexasGal
changed input

14 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

Hello Big Al,

Are the prices showing up in your "MY NCL - - Explore & Plan"?

Or, are you looking at the "generic"  EXPLORE - - Shore Excursions?

Lagoon 1-Bedroom Villa at Silver Cove on the generic site currently shows $899!

Depending on the time frame ("Spring Break ?"), ship (newer vs older), itinerary of your cruise, and how many ships will be at GSC that day, that price might escalate tremendously!

If any were showing in our itinerary for purchase right now, I'd go ahead and purchase one.  

Sadly, nothing for GSC is showing for purchase yet for our itinerary!

Yes, sadly it was the "generic" explore because it is still too early to book for next March 2021..I will check once in a while till maybe August when it gets within 7 months of the date..maybe I'll start in July..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, THIS IS US! said:

Did anyone narrow down the timing as to when the villas are available to book?

NCL says about 6 months before sailing, BUT you must start checking the NCL website and log into your account & cruise..there you will see what excursions are available for each port...I have a cruise in late March on the Joy, but so far nothing on the cabanas... 

Big Al

• Like 1

22 hours ago, THIS IS US! said:

Thanks for the update I will keep an eye out for sure

I've noticed that NCL has been loading a lot more excursions lately.

I found Cabanas and Villas listed for a SKY cruise we've had booked in mid-November.

Small Cabana $199, Large Cabana $299, Villas starting at $349 and go up to $599 for the 2-BR.
But again, this is for the SKY, with (currently) no other ship scheduled there on that day.

...As always, "supply and demand" could make the pricing rise.

I did book with our ShorEx Credit and Platinum Plus discount.  However, I did have to pay at the time of the booking.

(Which seems to be the case now, for anybody who books ahead!)

Yeah I am hoping to get a good price but with it being one of the first summer cruises for 2021 we shall see. DM will be watching while DB and I are at work since she is retired. Seems like the villas/cabanas will pop on like FTTF. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Updates at Great Stirrup Cay information is discussed in NCL "Embark" series video...

https://www.ncl.com/embark-series/video/ep-2-second-to-none

Currently, similar prices (for our booked cruises) have been showing close to those I stated almost a year ago!

On 5/28/2021 at 10:00 AM, Kflynn1120 said:

Just booked a large Cabana for April 9th sailing of Escape.

$449.   That’s after the $50 perk.

That sounds like a standard price ($499 - $50 perk) for the LARGE CABANA when sailing in April, especially booking it well in advance, like you have.

Also, currently, no other ship is scheduled at GSC on that date.  The price would likely have been higher if two ships were scheduled there on same day.

Have you never been to Great Stirrup Cay?

If not, you might enjoy this video (GSC is covered, specifically, 21:15 minutes into the video)!

https://www.ncl.com/embark-series/video/ep-2-second-to-none

There are plenty of other good videos on YouTube that cover previous cruises.

However, this segment discusses updates (as yet unseen by the general public).