Food on p&o

Vampiress88

I haven’t ever chosen p&o really for anything more than their price and ports. 

after a few conversations on here about gala night menus (that I didn’t know existed even after two cruises 🙄) and also about how some ships are changing and moving more towards the likes of other cruise likes but very slowly. 

I find the menus a challenge sometimes. I don’t know it it’s my age, I’m 31or if I am just sheltered (which is possible as I didn’t have Chinese till 18) 

what’s the opinion on the food. 

for example the gala menu 

Starters
Smoked Duck Breast* with a Crushed Hazelnut and Herb Crouton
Dates, Cream Cheese and Orange Dressed Chicory
Buttered Asparagus with a Soft Poached Hen’s Egg*
Broad Beans, Fresh Mint and Mustard Dressing (v) (gf)

Soup
Ham and Puy Lentil (gf)

Sorbet
Passion Fruit

Main Courses
Grilled Halibut Glazed with a Crab Sabayon
Seafood Rigatoni and Asparagus Spears
Lemon Sole Fillet Meunière
Brown Shrimp and Caper Butter, Parsley New Potatoes and Petits Pois à la Française (gf)
Ballotine of Corn-fed Chicken with a Quail, Pistachio and Truffle Mousseline
Gaufrette Potatoes and Cider Jus
Grilled Milk-fed Calves Liver*, Veal Kidney and Chorizo Sausage Brochette
Pont Neuf Potatoes and Béarnaise Sauce
Twice Baked Goat’s Cheese Soufflé*
Roasted Beetroot and Rosemary Bruschetta (v)

Desserts
Apple Tart Tatin
Vanilla Pod Ice Cream
Pecan Frangipane
White Chocolate and Isle of Wight Blue Cheese Ganache, Walnuts and Celery Gel
Dark Chocolate and Apple Mousse Cake Signature Dessert
Aerated Lemon and Thyme Sponge, Apple Pie and Custard Ice Cream 

there is very little that appeals to me I’m afraid. I know when we went in May I tried as many new things as I could but there was a lot that seemed old fashioned, which is fine but I do wonder at what point they will change on this as there is not going to be many people soon they will order liver. 🤢

2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

after a few conversations on here about gala night menus (that I didn’t know existed even after two cruises 🙄) and also about how some ships are changing and moving more towards the likes of other cruise likes but very slowly. 

I find the menus a challenge sometimes. I don’t know it it’s my age, I’m 31or if I am just sheltered (which is possible as I didn’t have Chinese till 18) 

Starters

Soup
Ham and Puy Lentil (gf)

Sorbet
Passion Fruit

Main Courses
Brown Shrimp and Caper Butter, Parsley New Potatoes and Petits Pois à la Française (gf)

Desserts
Apple Tart Tatin
Vanilla Pod Ice Cream
Pecan Frangipane

there is very little that appeals to me I’m afraid. I know when we went in May I tried as many new things as I could but there was a lot that seemed old fashioned, which is fine but I do wonder at what point they will change on this as there is not going to be many people soon they will order liver. 🤢

If it gets too fancy for me, I stick to the 3 S's. 

Soup 

Steak

Sundae

Available every day. 

Fortunately for me, these are things P&O do well. 

Andy 

• Like 2

I do like the food on P&O. In fact it's one of the main reasons we continue to use them.

I also very much like that menu, and the liver and kidney dish looks interesting and appealing  to me.

It's a menu,  maybe,  for adult tastes, but all the better for that.

Just a very personal opinion of course, but that's the sort of food that keeps us returning 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I do like the food on P&O. In fact it's one of the main reasons we continue to use them.

I also very much like that menu, and the liver and kidney dish looks interesting and appealing  to me.

It's a menu,  maybe,  for adult tastes, but all the better for that.

Just a very personal opinion of course, but that's the sort of food that keeps us returning 

I'd kill for kidneys right now.I'll swap you for half a sheeps head and a cows lungs,spinal cord and tripe.Delicacies here but not bloody kidneys.

• Like 1

I guess that a lot depends on fashion. Quite a few years ago liver was one of the unfashionable ingredients that suddenly came into vogue amongst big name chefs ( the other was pork belly) & they eventually filter through to mainstream menus.  I was quite happy with liver & still take it when I see it. The pork belly though didn’t translate well to sea menus ( possibly due to poor sourcing of pork) and the result was disappointing. Pork belly is rarely seen these days. 

In general I feel that there have been improvements in the cooking of vegetables ( in the ‘80s, veg were boiled to within an inch of their life). Fish, whilst not up to the standard you might get in restaurants on the Scottish coast has also improved greatly in recent years. 

I may be old school but I find the lunch menu quite difficult to navigate and while I do applaud many of the light options I still prefer the old style lunch menu. 

One thing I do find varying from ship to ship is the quality of bread products. 

Desserts I often feel favour size rather than subtlety. 

23 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Starters

Soup
Ham and Puy Lentil (gf)

Sorbet
Passion Fruit

Main Courses

Desserts
Apple Tart Tatin
Vanilla Pod Ice Cream
Pecan Frangipane

Strangely enough Vampiress the grilled liver was delicious, thin slices about the thickness of minute steaks, and the kidney and chorizo brochette also very tasty, and pont neuf potatoes are just a fancy name for chunky chips.  

I agree the menu names are rather fancy, but the food is certainly not old fashioned, and if you are uncertain the waiters will be only too delighted to explain how each dish is cooked and presented, you just have to go with an open mind.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ranchi said:

I guess that a lot depends on fashion. Quite a few years ago liver was one of the unfashionable ingredients that suddenly came into vogue amongst big name chefs ( the other was pork belly) & they eventually filter through to mainstream menus.  I was quite happy with liver & still take it when I see it. The pork belly though didn’t translate well to sea menus ( possibly due to poor sourcing of pork) and the result was disappointing. Pork belly is rarely seen these days. 

In general I feel that there have been improvements in the cooking of vegetables ( in the ‘80s, veg were boiled to within an inch of their life). Fish, whilst not up to the standard you might get in restaurants on the Scottish coast has also improved greatly in recent years. 

I may be old school but I find the lunch menu quite difficult to navigate and while I do applaud many of the light options I still prefer the old style lunch menu. 

One thing I do find varying from ship to ship is the quality of bread products. 

Desserts I often feel favour size rather than subtlety. 

Pork belly is very trendy nowadays,believe it or not.Not my favourite,but when cooked properly is good,but if not,just a load of fatty gristle.

• Like 1

Passion fruit sorbet.....nom nom nom nom nom.  I've enjoyed a few of those starters and mains.  I prefer food that I wouldn't usually cook at home when I'm on a cruise.  On our last cruise with NCL they were trying out new menus with nearly all the special (ie more expensive) items removed.  I hope it was temporary, I really missed the old menus. 

I found that most lines I've cruised with aren't so different from P&O in the main restaurant.  What would your perfect four course gala dinner be Vampiress?

Sorry, I really don't understand the point of the post.  The menu looks fine to me - loads of choice, covering every taste.

If you want a simple steak or salmon fillet, that will be available.  

If nothing on the menu is to your liking, the buffet will be sure to have something suitable. 

What does the OP actually want?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Strangely enough Vampiress the grilled liver was delicious, thin slices about the thickness of minute steaks, and the kidney and chorizo brochette also very tasty, and pont neuf potatoes are just a fancy name for chunky chips.  

I agree the menu names are rather fancy, but the food is certainly not old fashioned, and if you are uncertain the waiters will be only too delighted to explain how each dish is cooked and presented, you just have to go with an open mind.

Good point John. 

A lot of the dishes are made to sound fancier than they are. 

I am a bit of a dinosaur, I know what I like, but have tried a few of these exotic tasting dishes and enjoyed them all. 

Andy 

I like liver, probably because my mother did superb liver and onions when I was young. The liver on P and O is delicate tasting, beautifully cooked and definitely worth ordering. 

If you fancy a simpler meal, there is always a plain soup, a grilled steak or grilled salmon fillet, and ice cream. These are always available as as others have said are done very well by P and O.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dorsetlad said:

My biggest problem is understanding the menu. I don't know what half the courses are, as I never did foreign languages at school. Guess that's the result of a high school education.😂😂😂

Same here, most of it is meat and 2 veg or fish and chips with a fancy 'jus' which is just a little bit of gravy.. 

Andy 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Same here, most of it is meat and 2 veg or fish and chips with a fancy 'jus' which is just a little bit of gravy.. 

Andy 

I just checked on my translation app and the definition of jus is 'teaspoon of gravy'!!!!

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

Yes, we know what it is, a little bit of gravy, so why not call it a little bit of gravy? 

Because gravy and "jus" are two different products, in the same way that custard is not gravy either. (Probably  not the best example but it is a bit early!)

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, I really don't understand the point of the post.  The menu looks fine to me - loads of choice, covering every taste.

If you want a simple steak or salmon fillet, that will be available.  

If nothing on the menu is to your liking, the buffet will be sure to have something suitable. 

What does the OP actually want?

It doesn't cover for every taste. I am not complaining just replying, to your comment that it does. I know I can order from the always available which is always very nice.

I imagine the op just wants conversation which is what forums are about.

Edited by emam

4340A489-6AD9-4373-A2AF-FEFF2C624814.thumb.png.b5c82633d28d8a10494ae5b0f54065f1.png20B1BFA8-75BC-4C42-8FC9-60EEC07DBFFD.thumb.png.3b0454c34865b1cf617a3f654ba09452.png

not just the gala ones but also the main dinner ones. I’m assuming it’s just personal taste but I also do think it has a lot to do with age. I wouldn’t touch trout or pate. Have tried swordfish and sole and don’t like either these. 
I do think there will always be something to chose for me but not much. 

If there are any other 30 year olds I’d love to know if anyone else would do

liver

trout

pate

terrine

I do try stuff though. Had potted shrimp🤢 the mahi mahi (which I had years ago) was awful dunno if that was the way it was cooked though. 
rest I had was ham hock, salmon and paella and that was all good. 

I think I prefer the beach house menu but I wouldn’t pay to eat there everyday. 

8 minutes ago, emam said:
  •  

It doesn't cover for every taste. I am not complaining just replying, to your comment that it does. I know I can order from the always available which is always very nice.

I imagine the op just wants conversation.

I just had to come back to this thread - I was looking at the menu for a hotel in Wales and they are offering 'Charred Focaccia' - do you think that's toast?  Perhaps we should start a new thread for the most inventive 'foodie' term.😋

10 minutes ago, emam said:

I imagine the op just wants conversation which is what forums are about.

Perhaps the OP can come back and let us know what dishes he would like added to the menu.

The Gala night menu is meant to be a little more grand than normal. I like a good pie, but I wouldn't expect to see it on the menu.

• Like 1