Food on p&o

Vampiress88

2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

4340A489-6AD9-4373-A2AF-FEFF2C624814.thumb.png.b5c82633d28d8a10494ae5b0f54065f1.png20B1BFA8-75BC-4C42-8FC9-60EEC07DBFFD.thumb.png.3b0454c34865b1cf617a3f654ba09452.png

not just the gala ones but also the main dinner ones. I’m assuming it’s just personal taste but I also do think it has a lot to do with age. I wouldn’t touch trout or pate. Have tried swordfish and sole and don’t like either these. 
I do think there will always be something to chose for me but not much. 

If there are any other 30 year olds I’d love to know if anyone else would do

liver

trout

pate

terrine

I do try stuff though. Had potted shrimp🤢 the mahi mahi (which I had years ago) was awful dunno if that was the way it was cooked though. 
rest I had was ham hock, salmon and paella and that was all good. 

I think I prefer the beach house menu but I wouldn’t pay to eat there everyday. 

There is nothing on that menu that I would not eat. Although the wording is a bit fancy, none of the ingredients are that outre.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, emam said:

It doesn't cover for every taste. I am not complaining just replying, to your comment that it does. I know I can order from the always available which is always very nice.

I imagine the op just wants conversation which is what forums are about.

thank you. Yes wanted opinions on it really. 

I think it’s old fashioned. My opinion. Maybe I should ask for ages next to opinions as I think you tend to like the food you grew up with. I like pasta and rice dishes more than potato ones and nearly all the Main dishes on every menu Is potato. Which I understand but still would prefer different. The food on other lines is not enough to sway me though. 

the buffet in 2012 was really good. 
buffet in 2019 was terrible quality which is why we did the main dinning. Also a hell of a lot easier to have the food brought to you going to a buffet with the kids is an experience in itself 

I'm only just out of my 30's and have been cruising for many years. We enjoy the P&O food and things are even better now the vegetarian menus have been revamped and change daily. We don't eat meat but will have fish and we always find things we enjoy. I think it's difficult if you have not been exposed to a wide variety of foods and are not comfortable trying new things, posh menus can be difficult to understand and it can be embarrassing asking for things to be explained. But the joy of being on a cruise is that the waiters are all so accommodating and will not make you feel silly asking to have things explained. You can try new things and, if you don't like it you can always nip up to the buffet for something different.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vampiress88 said:

and your age out of curiosity? 

Over 60 ! 

I grew up in an age where you ate what you were given!

I do think that younger people today are less adventurous than before - too many ready meals and convenience food.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Perhaps the OP can come back and let us know what dishes he would like added to the menu.

The Gala night menu is meant to be a little more grand than normal. I like a good pie, but I wouldn't expect to see it on the menu.

haven’t actually got a clue what should

go on a gala menu. 

all I know is by the time my generation are the ones mainly filling the ships the veal and pheasant aren’t going to go down well.  

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Over 60 ! 

I grew up in an age where you ate what you were given!

I do think that younger people today are less adventurous than before - too many ready meals and convenience food.

My parents were also eat what you were given but I suppose my after school dinners would be a world away from yours. 

we had things like spag Bol, chilli, stew, pizza 😂 pie and chips, horrible pork chops but that was due to my mother’s cooking not the pork itself. 

my in laws who are 50 love pate and dripping on toast but we never have been fed that and I don’t think I could stomach it. 

I love things like beef stroganoff and tagalitelle but these are not things that are or will be on these menus. They are still catering to their audience and hopefully they will update it in years to come. But we always do try new things on the cruise as that’s the only time we will cos I wouldn’t go out and buy or pay for a dish I was unsure about. 

Liver though gives me the heebies just thinking of it 

8 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

haven’t actually got a clue what should

go on a gala menu. 

all I know is by the time my generation are the ones mainly filling the ships the veal and pheasant aren’t going to go down well.  

Actually, both are favourites of my 28 and 32 year old daughters.

My son is 26, works in London so eats out in lots of city restaurants and many of the menu choices are very similar to the kind of thing on that P&O menu. 

My three, 22, 24 & 26 all enjoy liver, belly pork etc, I don’t think they’ve ever tried pheasant. At least 2 of them would eat pate, trout & terrine too, so I don’t think it’s just an age thing, I suppose it depends on what foods you eat growing up?

I’m 51 and like most things on the menu, I’m really looking forward to the dining  on the cruise.

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

4340A489-6AD9-4373-A2AF-FEFF2C624814.thumb.png.b5c82633d28d8a10494ae5b0f54065f1.png20B1BFA8-75BC-4C42-8FC9-60EEC07DBFFD.thumb.png.3b0454c34865b1cf617a3f654ba09452.png

not just the gala ones but also the main dinner ones. I’m assuming it’s just personal taste but I also do think it has a lot to do with age. I wouldn’t touch trout or pate. Have tried swordfish and sole and don’t like either these. 

liver

trout

pate

terrine

I do try stuff though. Had potted shrimp🤢 the mahi mahi (which I had years ago) was awful dunno if that was the way it was cooked though. 

Roast dinner, lamb, salmon chicken and steak. 

5 fairly plain main options that the majority of people would eat. 

I get your point about younger passengers wanting Beach House type food, but bear in mind the majority of passengers on a lot of P&O ships are over 50. 

I would regard burgers, ribs etc as not fancy enough for what is still a fairly formal dining experience, even on casual nights. 

Andy 

36 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

liver

trout

pate

terrine

Sorry,  but I don't think this has anything remotely to do with age.  Much, much more perhaps to do with background. 

It's a perfectly normal modern menu containing perfectly normal foods which have relatively recently become 'fashionable' again. Liver is a case in point. 

Not all younger people spend their time in fast food places like Nando's and Pizzaland. Or the liked of Prezzo and Carluccio's for that matter. There are better places, and believe me there are plenty of younger people using them.

10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Roast dinner, lamb, salmon chicken and steak. 

5 fairly plain main options that the majority of people would eat. 

I get your point about younger passengers wanting Beach House type food, but bear in mind the majority of passengers on a lot of P&O ships are over 50. 

I would regard burgers, ribs etc as not fancy enough for what is still a fairly formal dining experience, even on casual nights. 

Andy 

oh yes definitely not formal. It’s American pub grub in beach house really. 
there are The normal dinner like the salmon and the steak. Again it’s all potatoes though I think that’s my problem mostly. Don’t generally do tattie a lot. Apart from dauphinois love those. 

I’m wondering if the 30 year olds that do like these things were either brought up on them or are upper class. My cousins are very much upperclass, went to boarding school etc and they would love this kind of food. Im Yorkshire middle class. Unfortunately the upperclass for us stopped at my grandparents and one uncle. 

Just the normal stuff for me. Maybe I’ll be even worse and order the kids chicken nuggets for myself ! 😱

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sorry,  but I don't think this has anything remotely to do with age.  Much, much more perhaps to do with background. 

It's a perfectly normal modern menu containing perfectly normal foods which have relatively recently become 'fashionable' again. Liver is a case in point. 

Not all younger people spend their time in fast food places like Nando's and Pizzaland. Or the liked of Prezzo and Carluccio's for that matter. There are better places, and believe me there are plenty of younger people using them.

yes maybe it is background. I haven’t ever been to any of those you have mentioned though. Place I like best is somewhere called miller & Carter. Steaks are amazing there. Far too expensive for us to go tho unless special occasions. 

3 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

I think you’ll find that to be incorrect - we have always had Beef Stroganoff on a P&O menu, tagliatelle too!

must not have found them then. I will be on the look out as this would be awesome for me. Were these in the main dinning room or buffet?

i know they have more rice and noodles upstairs at the buffet

38 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

liver

trout

pate

terrine

I agree it must be an age thing, my Granddaughters are still a bit younger than you but they don't like trying new (to them) dishes, try as we do to persuade them.  The yonger generation have grown up in the convenience and fast food society and will willingly eat Burgers, Pizzas, Fried chicken and other assorted fast food delicacies, however they all seem reluctant to try something different, which is where Iona's Quays will probably score with the millenials.

I don't see why liking or not liking simple dish like trout or pate, has anything to do with age,  class or schooling. Everyone has their own preferences and foibles. I won't eat veal or foie grass on principle,  but otherwise I will try anything. 

• Like 1

Backgrounds change.I'm in my late 60s and was brought up on meat and 2 veg cooked in lard.Wouldn't dream of tasting wine,yuk.Got married at 22 and slowly broadened my horizons.I eat anything now including escargot,lol.Draw the line at fois gras because of humanitarian reasons.I'm upper class by the way,when I was a kid,we lived in a 20th floor council flat in east London.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I don't see why liking or not liking simple dish like trout or pate, has anything to do with age,  class or schooling. Everyone has their own preferences and foibles. I won't eat veal or foie grass on principle,  but otherwise I will try anything. 

You just beat me to it regarding fois gras. The veal here is ok,just normal coloured beef.Prefer adult beef though.

23 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I’m wondering if the 30 year olds that do like these things were either brought up on them or are upper class. My cousins are very much upperclass, went to boarding school etc and they would love this kind of food. Im Yorkshire middle class. Unfortunately the upperclass for us stopped at my grandparents and one uncle. 

Just the normal stuff for me. Maybe I’ll be even worse and order the kids chicken nuggets for myself ! 😱

We definitely aren't upper class 🙂, but I have always enjoyed cooking and fed my lot liver, fish etc since they were small. Don't get me wrong, they still have their likes and dislikes, 26 year old wouldn't touch a piece of fruit or pizza. They have got more adventurous as they've got older. Mind you, they are all partial to Mcdonalds and chicken nuggets too!

I think it's just what you're used to.

33 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

yes maybe it is background. I haven’t ever been to any of those you have mentioned though. Place I like best is somewhere called miller & Carter. Steaks are amazing there. Far too expensive for us to go tho unless special occasions. 

We ate at the new Miller&Carter in Sunderland a few weeks ago and it was very nice.

We regularly eat out in restaurants who cater for up to 100 people serving Steak, Italian,Indian food etc.

P&O  have to cater for thousands of passengers every day and the food is always at a very good standard and we have always been happy with our P&O meals in the restaurant.

Like Andy says there is always a standard offering available every mealtime as well as the menu of the day.

Edited by grapau27

I would have thought that eating the joy of going on a cruise is trying all sorts of different foods that you may never have tried before and if you don’t like what you are served then the waiter will always bring you something else - no charge either!! 

• Like 2

My daughter and family (boys, then 5, 7 and 9) sailed on Britannia last year. Jen is vegan, husband a meat and fish person and one fussy boy, the other two not so. They ate mostly in the main dining room. They were really impressed with the variety and quality of the food. The vegan evening meal had to be pre-ordered and my daughter was really pleased with the choices given. We have cruised with P& O many times and have always enjoyed the food. I do think Princess has the edge though.

I like the look of that menu from the OP. There’s a good variety of dishes to cater for straightforward tastes to more adventurous tastes.

I went into my first cruise in July (which was on Britannia) with a sceptical (& uninitiated) mind about the food: being a real foodie, I love to eat for pleasure rather than eat just to survive. Food doesn’t have to be fancy to hit the spot with me: simple food done very well can tick all the boxes for me, but if I am in the mood for more of a special meal then I am well up for that. 

Personally, I loved the food across the ship. Even at the buffet - functional and perhaps not exciting - what there was in the buffet was more than fine, and had a decent variety to accommodate all tastes.

The Gala Menu we had was very good: on our table there was certainly something for everyone to enjoy. In the evenings we varied between the main restaurants (all good meals, if perhaps not particularly special) and the “extra” restaurants: Epicurean satisfied my taste of the “much more special”, making it really an occasion each time we dined there, and I loved a cheeky bite or two in The Glasshouse. But I was impressed overall with the food.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1