Food on p&o

Vampiress88

I’m 32 and was happy enough with the food on P&O when we were on Azura in May, although I thought the best meal I had was at Sindhu. It’s not necessarily the sort of food I’d cook myself but I enjoyed it well enough. 

Just wanted to put in a word for potted shrimp though - I love potted shrimp but the stuff I had on P&O was awful. Wrong sort of shrimp for a start: it was just ordinary North Atlantic prawns and not tiny little brown shrimp, and the flavouring was not right.  Try proper Morecambe Bay Potted Shrimp if you ever come across it - totally different thing altogether. 

11 minutes ago, frozenflowers said:

I’m 32 and was happy enough with the food on P&O when we were on Azura in May, although I thought the best meal I had was at Sindhu. It’s not necessarily the sort of food I’d cook myself but I enjoyed it well enough. 

Just wanted to put in a word for potted shrimp though - I love potted shrimp but the stuff I had on P&O was awful. Wrong sort of shrimp for a start: it was just ordinary North Atlantic prawns and not tiny little brown shrimp, and the flavouring was not right.  Try proper Morecambe Bay Potted Shrimp if you ever come across it - totally different thing altogether. 

I thought it would be good too as I like prawns and shrimps but this was awful. Are the toast thing tho. 

I liked afternoon tea best. 

also had the kedgeree for breakfast. I actually love kedgeree but didn’t on here. 

also shouldn’t get started on the snotty eggs either. 

their salmon was lovely tho. So was the calamari starter. The prawn cocktail looked like Christmas 20 years ago. And the ham hock was really good. 

also agree with you that the best meal we had was sindu by far. Liked the beach house too. Don’t think we did the buffet

51 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

oh dear don’t sit near me then. 

I can’t do blood on steak. I can just do a little bit of pink. I mean it tastes nice, I’ve been told to at least try it but when it’s staring at me oozing I just can’t. 

I also don’t do wine. I can just about do g&t and that has to be a flavour, fruity cider or cocktail but then I wouldn’t have more than one either. I drink either coke or water in the dinner rooms. 
sorry. 
I know from another thread that some don’t like even seeing pints on the table at dinner 

(runs and hides) 

I've had a few glances at my pint on the table, but I do enjoy a beer with my dinner although I rarely drink indoors at home. 

Think of the blood from a steak as juices, that's what keeps it moist. 

Can't see the attraction of any dry meat. 

It's your holiday, eat and drink what suits you. 

Andy 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I've had a few glances at my pint on the table, but I do enjoy a beer with my dinner although I rarely drink indoors at home. 

Think of the blood from a steak as juices, that's what keeps it moist. 

Can't see the attraction of any dry meat. 

It's your holiday, eat and drink what suits you. 

Andy 

The steak should have been rested before being served, so the blood should not be running, but I understand that this is not always possible.

I am a very long way from being  31 and admit to being slightly conservative where food is concerned but I do think there is an element of chefs trying to be too ‘chefy’ (if there’s such a word!).  We enjoy the Gala Dinners but I have occasionally been relieved that there is the ‘always available’ items still on the menu.

32 minutes ago, frozenflowers said:

Every time we go to the Lakes we have Morecambe bay brown shrimps done simply in butter and on toast - food of the gods.

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Excellent question. The OP also seems to be averse to Pate, which strikes me as strange!

Every place we visit to eat - from your Brewer's Fayre, Table Table, Marstons to your posh end have pate. My dad used to think it was too posh for him -- bless

Just been thinking about this. Hubby and I are the same age but our taste in food can be very different. I have become much braver thanks to my P&O holidays and hubby is very proud of me trying everything that I normally would not have eaten.

Having said that, when it comes to spicy food we are very, very different. I can not cope with anything remotely spicy and hate Indian food with a passion. I have tried but it just isn't for me. That isn't to do with age but my taste buds :-)

PS Try the liver -- yum yum

2 hours ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

Why? It's their choice. Respect that.

If you read my earlier posts I also said that taste, food choice etc is a personal choice. 

If someone wants to incinerate a lovely bit of beef, that is their choice,  and their loss, but, it is their decision. 

Just as a slight change of tack, can I please talk about the correct way to eat bread rolls at dinner.

Do NOT  use  a knife to cut your roll in half, and especially do  not hold your roll in your hand while doing so. Do not butter half a roll in one go!

Simply tear your roll into mouth sized portions, and when ready, apply a small amount of butter to each portion prior to consumption. 

My next lesson will be how to hold a knife and fork correctly, like a pen, not like using a shovel! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just as a slight change of tack, can I please talk about the correct way to eat bread rolls at dinner.

Do NOT  use  a knife to cut your roll in half, and especially do  not hold your roll in your hand while doing so. Do not butter half a roll in one go!

Simply tear your roll into mouth sized portions, and when ready, apply a small amount of butter to each portion prior to consumption. 

My next lesson will be how to hold a knife and fork correctly, like a pen, not like using a shovel! 

Love it!  Though controversial, I'm sure, and old-style P&O?

The most interesting example I ever encountered was a group of very loud, affluent Londoners drinking soup straight from the bowls.

Probably a topic for a hotly debated thread here somewhere!   🙃

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

How can you make a chip butty doing that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Ha ha, hilarious. 

I have always torn my roll into pieces before buttering but didn't know it was correct etiquette. 

I don't suppose then dropping it into my soup is right though? 

I hope for your sake Wowzz we never share a table... My knife and fork swapping, pint of beer on the table and taking my jacket off to eat will drive you insane.. 😊

Andy 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Should we also

not have salt served with a little spoon (forget the name) to put on the side? 

i hear it’s incorrect to shake it all over ones food 

2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Should we also

I thought adding salt in any way was considered an insult to the chef, suggesting he/she had not seasoned the food correctly? 

Andy 

16 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I thought adding salt in any way was considered an insult to the chef, suggesting he/she had not seasoned the food correctly? 

Andy 

CBF79262-C7CB-458B-9D69-D1A1ACB3D879.thumb.png.a4fe2667d3f491638bbec1ea83372eef.png

all I know is I wasn’t allowed to put salt all over my food at my grans. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Ha ha, hilarious. 

I have always torn my roll into pieces before buttering but didn't know it was correct etiquette. 

I don't suppose then dropping it into my soup is right though? 

I hope for your sake Wowzz we never share a table... My knife and fork swapping, pint of beer on the table and taking my jacket off to eat will drive you insane.. 😊

Andy 

Don't forget licking the plate.Lovely Jubbly.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, crompton21 said:

I occasionally enjoy reading the Costa reviews (cruise line not coffee shop) on this site.  The number of people disgusted by the language spoken on board (not English) and by the food offerings always brings a smile.  Too much pasta, too many noodles not enough potatoes seems a common theme.  

One evening a few years ago I was in the buffet on a Thomson ship. It was a Spanish themed night and a couple walked past. She rather loudly said 'lets try the main dining room, I don't like this foreign muck'. Recently someone was complaining about the lack of 'british' food. I felt like pointing out that the cuisine is advertised as international.

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Does it make the bread roll taste better or just stops some of your table companions from having a stroke or heart attack!

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

Should we also

I remember the old fish and chip shop salt cellars, lots of 1/8 inch holes in the top, that's the way

• Like 1