Water bottle off ship...Ruby Princess not allowed?

I am going to be on the Ruby Princess in a few weeks hitting several ports In New Zealand. Just the other day I saw a photo of the Patter posted by a blogger and in that issue there was a notice in it regarding the prohibited food items that are not to be taken off of the ship in New Zealand. What struck me was the warning to only take "commercially bottled drinking water" off the ship unless permission is given by the MPI Quarantine Officer. This would imply that no water bottles with water inside are to leave the ship without permission. Anyone have any experience with this? 

New Zealand MPI quarantine.png

Yes you can take your own personal water bottles off the ship. If they are inspected and determined that it is just water in them then there is no problem. It is illegal for them to prevent you carrying water with you as it is essential to life particularly if people have medical conditions that require drinking water with them. Worst case scenario is just tipping out the water and refilling the empty bottle ashore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Just take a commercial bottle with you and fill it with ships water.

I think the bottle has to be factory sealed.

I only noticed this for the first time this year. I didn't notice anyone checking on any of the ports we stopped but, then again I wasn't looking as we weren't taking water off the ship.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

It may be another policy that is not enforced every where.

True, but remember that NZ can impose a NZ$400 instant fine on anyone they decide is breaching their biosecurity rules. All you need is a biosecurity officer who got out of the wrong side of bed that morning ...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

Yes you can take your own personal water bottles off the ship. If they are inspected and determined that it is just water in them then there is no problem. It is illegal for them to prevent you carrying water with you as it is essential to life particularly if people have medical conditions that require drinking water with them. Worst case scenario is just tipping out the water and refilling the empty bottle ashore.

I'd like to see you argue that with a stroppy biosecurity officer especially as there are plenty of shops in NZ ports that sell bottled water. 🙄 

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

True, but remember that NZ can impose a NZ$400 instant fine on anyone they decide is breaching their biosecurity rules. All you need is a biosecurity officer who got out of the wrong side of bed that morning ...

Exactly, I just buy a drink when ashore.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'd like to see you argue that with a stroppy biosecurity officer especially as there are plenty of shops in NZ ports that sell bottled water. 🙄 

If for argument sake I had a water bottle and was quizzed I would be happy to tip it our and refill it at the nearest tap.

On a side note I wear contact lenses and always have a small canister of moisturising solution with me. Anytime customs see that and the label I am allowed to proceed on my way.

31 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

If for argument sake I had a water bottle and was quizzed I would be happy to tip it our and refill it at the nearest tap.

Of course you might be, but you also have to be prepared for said stroppy biosecurity officer to confiscate your water bottle and it's contents without allowing you to pour it out (just in case it contained a biosecurity hazard) and to slap you with a NZ$400 fine.

The chances of that happening are admittedly slim but ...?

14 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

I wouldn't tip my water out - that could be deemed a biohazard. I would drink the water. I could do that because I carry a small bottle (only 300ml).

We always travel with 750ml Tupperware bottles which I fill / refill with potable water out of the tap in our cabin.  Sometimes I refill from the water station in the buffet using the glass to bottle technique but spillage is always a problem and people get irritated* because it takes a short while.  Cruising NZ on the Sun Princess in 2018, I took ship's water off and brought  NZ water back.  Nobody has ever questioned me about this practice and I've cruised to 16 countries since 2012.  However, if I were queried by NZ Bio Officers, I would be polite and comply with their requirements.  It never pays to challenge anyone with the power to fine, detain or cavity search you.  Unless, of course, at least one of these forms part of your bucket list.

*Don't understand why people get irritated on a ship.  In my mind, 'tis all about settle petal and smell the roses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I wouldn't tip my water out - that could be deemed a biohazard. I would drink the water. I could do that because I carry a small bottle (only 300ml).

Fortunately I have never had the problem anywhere as I usually only carry the small elite-mini-bar free bottles that I get. Personally I do not take a water bottle on a cruise due to trying to reduce size of luggage. The Camera and lenses get the most space and weight allowance for my holidays.

2 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Cruising NZ on the Sun Princess in 2018, I took ship's water off and brought  NZ water back. 

I think the water bottle restriction only came in this year. We had onboard notices about it on both Celebrity Solstice in March, and Sea Princess in September. 

2 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

It never pays to challenge anyone with the power to fine, detain or cavity search you.  Unless, of course, at least one of these forms part of your bucket list.

Definitely not a single cruise lines specification, it is across all lines.

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think the water bottle restriction only came in this year. We had onboard notices about it on both Celebrity Solstice in March, and Sea Princess in September. 

I have seen this warning notice in the Princess Patters for several ports for a few years.

I wouldn't be concerned about taking a bottle of water ashore. We are a civilised nation after all. Sometimes people get too hung up on the print. The objective is to ensure that prohibited food, animal and plant products are not brought ashore not to dehydrate our visitors. Worse case scenario is you will be asked to tip out but that wont happen

Edited by Beanb41
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

I wouldn't be concerned about taking a bottle of water ashore. We are a civilised nation after all. Sometimes people get too hung up on the print. The objective is to ensure that prohibited food, animal and plant products are not brought ashore not to dehydrate our visitors. Worse case scenario is you will be asked to tip out but that wont happen

Agreed. 👍

Inline with when you fly into NZ you cannot bring non-commercially bottled or packaged water or food for example home made chocolates, confectionary or biscuits etc as the ingredients or in case of the water the source is unknown. Whilst the water on the ship may have been treated for drinking the origin is unknown and may still contain foreign bodies not native to NZ. It is clearly explained on the NZ government department of primary industry biosecurity webpage for all incoming tourists. They have a page specifically for cruise passengers. I think if travelling to NZ the regulations should be respected these rules are in place to protect our beautiful but sensitive ecosystem from foreign organisms. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kiwimeggles said:

Inline with when you fly into NZ you cannot bring non-commercially bottled or packaged water or food for example home made chocolates, confectionary or biscuits etc as the ingredients or in case of the water the source is unknown. Whilst the water on the ship may have been treated for drinking the origin is unknown and may still contain foreign bodies not native to NZ. It is clearly explained on the NZ government department of primary industry biosecurity webpage for all incoming tourists. They have a page specifically for cruise passengers. I think if travelling to NZ the regulations should be respected these rules are in place to protect our beautiful but sensitive ecosystem from foreign organisms. 

I'm a foreign organism,I'd better keep away,lol.

• Like 1